Model Cars Magazine Forum

JoHan fall release

ZTony8

Johan has licensed all it's kits to STL. files that we can now download and print off our 3-d printers for  a small fee ? Any obsolete Johan kit is now available? That would bring JOHAN into the 22 century, now wouldn't it? Just think the company wouldn't have to resurrect any tooling . Just scan an old mint kit , lay it out in a nice printable file , collect the money . give out  a password and  Print ! No packaging, no tooling ,( no China production) Direct ship to the end user via computer and his 3-d printer!( I am just guessing here , Please don't repeat this as fact!)

Edited by paul alflen
Correct spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, paul alflen said:

Johan has licensed all it's kits to STL. files that we can now download and print off our 3-d printers for  a small fee ? Any obsolete Johan kit is now available? That would bring JOHAN into the 22 century, now wouldn't it? Just think the company wouldn't have to resurrect any tooling . Just scan an old mint kit , lay it out in a nice printable file , collect the money . give out  a password and  Print ! No packaging, no tooling ,( no China production) Direct ship to the end user via computer and his 3-d printer!( I am just guessing here , Please don't repeat this as fact!)

But at home printing isn't there yet. Unless you have a larger 8K printer you're not going to have the print space to make an entire body. That doesn't even go down the road that there is no industry standard with 3D printing so what might work on one printer will likely be a total disaster on another without reworking the slices and support system.

I think Ford, GM, and Stellantis would also have a lot to say if you tried to sell the files commercially on a large scale like that.

Besides the "sales job" was this whole thing was that it was supposed to be an all new kit that has never been done by any kit manufacturer before. I've been across social media all day and plenty of people here went to the D.A.A.M. Show and not a single thing has been mentioned about this "big announcement", so I presume that like most things involving Okey since he got ahold of JoHan there's nothing to see here.

• Like 1

Well! :) If it comes out soon, great - I have a green '56 kit and photoetch emblems ready to go. Now howzabout a 3D printed chassis?

Per Okey on FB: "The new kit will not be ready, but I will show the work in progress." ZTony8, can you confirm?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

😎😎😎

I, like a bunch of us, would LOVE to see lots of the old Johan kits' "come back out", and maybe this is a precursor to the release of a 56 Pontiac, but if it isn't, then where would the interior do any of us much good????   Been to a LOT of model shows over the years, with hundreds of vendors, and think MAYBE, have seen one old warped promo for sale....

DJ

Don't know what's up, but with the technolodgies out there, anything is possible, but the neccesary funds have to be available, and a forcast of a good return on that investment a must,  otherwise it's money down the drain and for a small operation like today's Jo-Han, one miss can be fatal.

Edited by Luc Janssens

17 minutes ago, TECHMAN said:

😎😎😎

I, like a bunch of us, would LOVE to see lots of the old Johan kits' "come back out", and maybe this is a precursor to the release of a 56 Pontiac, but if it isn't, then where would the interior do any of us much good????   Been to a LOT of model shows over the years, with hundreds of vendors, and think MAYBE, have seen one old warped promo for sale....

DJ

X-El reissued the 4-door hardtop Star Chief many years ago as an already-built promo and as a kit to be assembled.

Funny thing to me is that in truth if Spaulding actually HAS anything of value it would lie in whether or not he's maintained any sort of IP Licensing rights to AMC products. The tooling is meaningless at this point. If he's not running it, it can't be either usable or complete and it's all archaic garbage anyways. But legacy licensing rights that are already negotiated, set in stone, and paid for? Now THAT is something worth buying out.