Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Brother is giving up on building

My brother has decided to give up building and told me he would sell me his started kits and 2 untouched kits for $40 of course I couldn’t pass it up and let it go to someone else.. there is somewhere between 20 and 25 started kits all NASCAR stuff

277521244_5756496981034257_1287194644875178910_n.jpg

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Did he elaborate as to why he's quitting?

He has lost interest in it, Him and I both started building preteen and he never stopped. I took a 10 or more year break. I think he will start building again but I think it's more that all he was building was Nascar kits and he needs to go back to building street cars....

I know the feeling. I took a break from building for 25 - 30 years not due to boredom but to other endeavors - going out with friends, dating, full time job, marriage, & raising an awesome son. Now I’ve been back in the swing of things for the last 6 or 7 years now and have more time on the bench. It didn’t take me long to build up a decent stash again.

Maybe a little time away from building will do him good. 

On 3/27/2022 at 6:03 PM, SCRWDRVR said:

He has lost interest in it, Him and I both started building preteen and he never stopped. I took a 10 or more year break. I think he will start building again but I think it's more that all he was building was Nascar kits and he needs to go back to building street cars....

That and just/mostly Gordon kits is limiting even with those aftermarket decals, not knocking Gordon. That's the magic of modeling, you can build anything you want so long as it is available.  

12 minutes ago, wrenchr said:

That and just/mostly Gordon kits is limiting even with those aftermarket decals, not knocking Gordon. That's the magic of modeling, you can build anything you want so long as it is available.  

Well, there’s the problem. Too much obsession on one NASCAR driver - Jeff Gordon. How many race cars driven by Gordon does he really needs to build?  No wonder he’s lost interest. He needs to snap out of this obsession and build something else besides NASCAR. Build muscle cars, dragsters/funny cars, trucks, street rods, etc.... Maybe he should try his hand at building aircrafts, armor, ships or even sci fI subjects. Open his eyes and show him there's more to life than building strictly Jeff Gordon related subjects.

Yeah I told him he needs to start building more street cars, he started a Mustang of a car he used to own and is having a hard time building it too… He needs to find that thing that brings the spark back for him.. 

I started separating all the parts back into kits and I’m at 14 plus the 2 untouched kits so far…