Model Cars Magazine Forum

Members online

Mike 1017

I got my free preview of retirement via Covid and didn't like it.  I felt like a house cat.  I built more models than ever before.  And it started to feel empty!  

So September  of  both 2020 and 2021, I got calls from colleagues to do short term  projects.  I jumped at the chance.   Then I had a head hunter call me about a permanent gig.  I figured, heck toss my hat into the ring (nobody hires 63 yr olds!).  And guess what? They hired me!   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, espo said:

I don't play Golf so here I am.

Yes I'm retired and the above quote reminded me of when I retired because so many people asked if I golf or fish and my answer was "no" and they all wondered what am I gonna do?

Model building is just one of the things that keep me busy along with many other things but they were all at a loss.

2 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

Just curious

I didn't mean to sound flippant, but "What's your Point" is often a stock response when I'm not sure why I was asked a question.

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

Yes I'm retired and the above quote reminded me of when I retired because so many people asked if I golf or fish and my answer was "no" and they all wondered what am I gonna do?

Model building is just one of the things that keep me busy along with many other things but they were all at a loss.

I think that everyone needs something that they enjoy to do that offers some sort of mental stimulation. I have been a life long gear head and cars have always been my favorite subject. At this point in life I can't afford to do the things I would like with a car or truck, but I can do it in 1/25th scale for a fraction of the price. 

9 hours ago, espo said:

I think that everyone needs something that they enjoy to do that offers some sort of mental stimulation. I have been a life long gear head and cars have always been my favorite subject. At this point in life I can't afford to do the things I would like with a car or truck, but I can do it in 1/25th scale for a fraction of the price. 

While I am not retired yet (7 years to go God willing) I feel EXACTLY the same way. Though I do have a mostly done driveable 1:1 to tinker with.

Not everybody works the same hours. As a hotel manager I have to pull a couple of evening "manager on duty" shifts per week. I'll log in in the morning on those days. Don't forget that European modelers are several hours ahead of us as well. Morning here is afternoon/evening there. 

21 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

Just curious

It was Monday morning and I noticed a lot on members on the  forum. So I was wondering are all these people retired like me. Check in while working? Took the day off? Heath problems? Filthy rich don't work? Live in different time zone? While I was working I never went on line only the weekends.

Mike

3 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

It was Monday morning and I noticed a lot on members on the  forum. So I was wondering are all these people retired like me. Check in while working? Took the day off? Heath problems? Filthy rich don't work? Live in different time zone? While I was working I never went on line only the weekends.

Mike

Thanks for all the responses I have 3 things that I do. Model building, slot car racing, and I just bought a new bike  

21 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

Mike

Retired and filthy rich. 😄  Well not really but I’m in good health, retired the end of 2020 with a pension and savings but my younger wife still works to support living in an expensive area.  I keep busy with model building, riding my bicycle (usually 15-20 miles), going to car shows and hanging out at the pool and once in a while going to the beach.  My wife gets spoiled also as I do the laundry and 90% of the cooking so she does not mind working until to pay the rent and health insurance and money left over for leisure activities.