Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chrysler 300c

ModelcarJR

I am starting this AMT kit but it will be build a little bit custom. The engine will not have the dual air cleaners as I used them on a "Custom" version of this kit a couple of years ago. This one will have the standard 392 V-8 with the standard two carb air cleaner.  I have a can of Tamiya Pearl Light Red that I think matches pretty well to a 1957 color Sunset Rose.  Unfortunately, it wasn't used on a 300c as I can only fined photos of the New Yorker in that color.  But, I am going to use it on this build anyway.  The interiors were all light tan and black so that will be the interior colors. Here some photos of the painted body and parts of the interior. 

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 3

Great looking color combination. You may want to do some test fitting of the hood since you're going with different air cleaners. The reason for their unique shape is for hood clearance as it is a problem in 1:1 and scale. 

Thanks, Carl, Tom and David! I appreciate your comments!  I think the air cleaner will fit because it is the one that came with the 57 Chrysler 300c Custom kit. Essentially the same kit except for the engine air cleaner and I think the grill. 

It didn't take too long to rub this one out and I have the first pieces of foil on this one.  No glue required so far. The middle of the sheet of foil seems to have more glue on it. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, Carl, Tom and David! I appreciate your comments!  I think the air cleaner will fit because it is the one that came with the 57 Chrysler 300c Custom kit. Essentially the same kit except for the engine air cleaner and I think the grill. 

It didn't take too long to rub this one out and I have the first pieces of foil on this one.  No glue required so far. The middle of the sheet of foil seems to have more glue on it. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

Nice work, hope your hood matches seeing your last coat was probably put on separately..If it doesn't match you can show it with hood off on the side..Very nicely done so far..Keep it going..

Thanks, Wayne, Rusty and Peter! I appreciate your oomments!  Yes, the hood matches as you can see in the following photos.  In fact, I always paint the hood separately from the body.  I have had too many incidents over the years painting a body with the hood on.  If I try to remove it while the paint is still flashing, I either drop it, get a finger in the paint or drop it on the body which ruins two pieces.  If I wait until it is completely dry, I risk paint sticking in the hood edges and chipping the hood edge as I remove the hood. And there is no good way to touch up a chip in the paint on the hood edge - it always looks bad. So I always count the number of passes of paint on the body and the hood and body and try to make sure they are equal.  One pass back and forth on all unpainted surfaces per session. Generally two session like this with 10 minutes between sessions for paint and two for clear.  Hood matches almost every time on pearls, metallics, and solid colors.  

I had a good session of foiling today. It was almost pleasant with no additional glue needed.  Only think left are the letters on the hood which I'll either foil or use a chrome pen, but I'll wait until the end to do those letters.  Here are some photos and thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, Wayne, Rusty and Peter! I appreciate your oomments!  Yes, the hood matches as you can see in the following photos.  In fact, I always paint the hood separately from the body.  I have had too many incidents over the years painting a body with the hood on.  If I try to remove it while the paint is still flashing, I either drop it, get a finger in the paint or drop it on the body which ruins two pieces.  If I wait until it is completely dry, I risk paint sticking in the hood edges and chipping the hood edge as I remove the hood. And there is no good way to touch up a chip in the paint on the hood edge - it always looks bad. So I always count the number of passes of paint on the body and the hood and body and try to make sure they are equal.  One pass back and forth on all unpainted surfaces per session. Generally two session like this with 10 minutes between sessions for paint and two for clear.  Hood matches almost every time on pearls, metallics, and solid colors.  

I had a good session of foiling today. It was almost pleasant with no additional glue needed.  Only think left are the letters on the hood which I'll either foil or use a chrome pen, but I'll wait until the end to do those letters.  Here are some photos and thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

Nice...

Thanks, Rusty, Dan and Dennis! I appreciate your comments!  Yes, Dan, I should be there and this one should be done.  No progress today as I have been working on another build to get it painted before it rains next week.  But I am getting back to it tonight. Thanks for looking!  😎

Thanks, Rusty and Chris! I appreciate your comments!  

I finished the engine, adding plug wires, a coil, and plumbing from the carbs to the fuel pump. My wife looked at the painted body and said it looked gaudy. So I figured why not jazz the engine up a bit. I need to touch-up the air cleaner bottom, chrome pen on the thumbnuts, and blackwash the block and transmission a bit.  Here are some photos and thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwTLrCQ7rXAxVFohehRK4_4aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1649030241

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFye-7tlT3ktgp4GZbL5GkBo4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1649030241

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyK2TOsv4vyYeukIFQuWSffrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1649030243

Thanks, Carl, Paul and Bob!  I appreciate your comments!  

Finished the chassis and now doing a mock-up to see how things look.  The front won't stay down without some glue but I think everything will go together well! Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhance