Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Revell '79 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Casey

55 minutes ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I would not do that if I were you.... This is a re-issue from the eigthies and only came as the Trans-Am and Turbo version. I highly doubt they would make new tooling for a different version.

Key word was "not"

• Like 1

Oh nice, it looks like the clear parts are molded in clear, and not smoked plastic like the 80s issue I have.  I have waited a very long time for another shot at this one. (I started it back in the day but not well)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Considering how it's going to be more expensive anyways, they should include clear and smoked like others have had recently. 

Which recent kits have included both clear and smoke-tint clear parts?

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Which recent kits have included both clear and smoke-tint clear parts?

I'm not sure if Revell did it, but AMT has. They could follow suit. Without digging through everything I know the AMT '76 Gremlin has both. I think the Econoline or Chevy van does too.

13 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I'm not sure if Revell did it, but AMT has. They could follow suit. Without digging through everything I know the AMT '76 Gremlin has both. I think the Econoline or Chevy van does too.

Two different companies, Revell and Round2, but I fail to see any viable business case for Revell to shoot the clear parts twice, in two different tints, for this kit. Tamiya smoke gets the job done for the seventeen people worldwide who want tinted sunroof panels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Two different companies, Revell and Round2, but I fail to see any viable business case for Revell to shoot the clear parts twice, in two different tints, for this kit. Tamiya smoke gets the job done for the seventeen people worldwide who want tinted sunroof panels.

Yes, I mentioned that it was Round2 (AMT) and not Revell. That doesn't mean Revell can't do the same smart thing. Round2 saw the viable business case. Remember, there are other people in this world that don't think the same as you. I'm sure there are plenty that like the idea of having both, and plenty that don't want to paint clear parts. Easy for you, not so easy for others. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Yes, I mentioned that it was Round2 (AMT) and not Revell. That doesn't mean Revell can't do the same smart thing. Round2 saw the viable business case.

I'm not going to derail this topic any further. I wouldn't plan on seeing anything other than clear parts in this kit, which I suspect will be just fine with the majority of people who buy and build it.

8 hours ago, Fantom said:

I see that it say decals for 3 versions. Curious to see the decal sheet. 

Here's that blurb about the kit's features, mentioning the decals, from the revell.de 'site:

• Very demanding model for experienced model builders
  • Multi-piece V8 engine
  • Movable bonnet
  • Movable hood
  • Multi-part body
  • Various chrome parts, including rims, exhaust pipes and carburetors
  • Decal for three versions known from feature films

10 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Yes, I mentioned that it was Round2 (AMT) and not Revell. That doesn't mean Revell can't do the same smart thing. Round2 saw the viable business case.  

Different companies, different business models.  No reason to assume anything Round 2 does would be applicable to anything Revell does.