Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Revell '79 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Casey

I bought (when new) and built that black '80 Trans Am.  I was in my early 20s at that time. I remember installing light bulbs in the headlight buckets.  It looked really good!  I recall that the plastic body was so shiny that I didn't even paint it.  Unfortunately I did not take it with me when I moved in 1992.  It ended up in trash.  I wish I still had it.

As for large scale, Pocher was making 1:8 scale multimedia kits even before Revell. I built the 1935 Mercedes 500K roadster (which I still have). There were also other 1:8 scale kits made by other model companies back in the '70s.  Not many, but they are out there.

The 1/8 scales I built during much of last year is the reason I'm going to have to build more shelf space in the not too distant future.

Yes, they can suck up a LOT of space, and let's not forget the additional room needed for a display case. Dust (along with rambunctious cats) is the number one killer of a nice model. It gets into the darndest places where it's impossible to get rid of, so I have to factor that in also when it comes to buying, building and eventually displaying 'em.

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Hahaha! Me little love bug Tæo always had his eyes affixed upon my stacks of unbuilt kits' boxes. 

desktop-bug.jpg.89ec3d5875164f356905c6b1fe8d6691.jpg

LOL!! 😁

That's the main reason in the house I'm in now, I kept all the unbuilt models in the moving boxes. The room they're in has no door to it, so if I left them out, I'd have model boxes and parts scattered EVERYWHERE! It's a bit of pain because if I need to find something, I can be looking for awhile through boxes.

I need to spend some time and see about getting some type of "accordion" or French door with a latch hook for the room. A standard door won't do as it's a really WIDE doorway as it was once an entire room split into two.

Your cat is a real cutie......he looks like he's about to get into trouble! 😄

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received my Firebird today and it is a delight!

The body is now molded in grey, (not sure if that was known yet), the clear parts are actually clear and not smoked.

Plus the decals are a huge upgrade! You can compare it to the last Stingray issue; it has way more decals to dress up the engine bay. Since the decals are printed in Italy, I dare to assume they are Cartograf.

And also noticable; there are 4 different film-versions to be build: Smokey and the Bandit (II?), The Hunter, IT, and another one that I forgot for the moment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I received my Firebird today and it is a delight!

The body is now molded in grey, (not sure if that was known yet), the clear parts are actually clear and not smoked.

Plus the decals are a huge upgrade! You can compare it to the last Stingray issue; it has way more decals to dress up the engine bay. Since the decals are printed in Italy, I dare to assume they are Cartograf.

And also noticable; there are 4 different film-versions to be build: Smokey and the Bandit (II?), The Hunter, IT, and another one that I forgot for the moment.

We need pics please!!

1 hour ago, Mike C. said:

Wow! That kit is huge. Sure wish they would do the '70 Formula. Now that kit I would wait in line for.

70 formula.webp

If you can find one for a reasonable price, Doyusha/Otaki made a 1/12 version of the '73 Trans Am.

Edit: the only problem is you can't accurately make the Trans Am from IT unless you source a blue version of the decals. The other ones all look like they used the gold decals.

Edited by Jordan White

28 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

The world has been Trans Amed to death. Why no love for the Formula?

It's one of those things where most people would prefer the top-of-the-line trim level, since it's sometimes easier to "downgrade" to a lesser trim vs trying to make a higher level trim. 

The first Trans Ams were a little foofy for my taste. Too many spoilers and things that do nothing performance wise. By the mid 70s the were downright poser mobiles. Disco decal cars. We used to call them Guido cars and I'm Italian.