Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Scale Headers for B/RB (Big Block) Chrysler

Does anyone make resin (or even metal) headers for a 1/24 scale (e.g., Monogram's classic scale) Chrysler B/RB engines?

Any close-enough samples in styrene? Perhaps a Mark IV Chevrolet? 

I'd like a pair for the 1971 Satellite-Road Runner-GTX, but lack the skills to roll my own.

Please provide link(s) and/or kits in your replies.

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

These are from the AMT Resto Rods ‘66 Nova.

Thanks for the image. I've had me eye on those, and the long tube headers from the AMT 1967 Chevelle Pro Street. I'm also considering two Holley Dominators from Fireball for this project, as the Monogram carbs are little more than flatbread blobs. 

7 hours ago, bisc63 said:

AMT's 57 Corvette Street Machine has some pretty good headers, as I recall. What about the Dodge 330 kits from Lindberg? (Color Me Gone, Maverick, Ramcharger)

Are those Hemi cars or 440s? I think I have one in the stash. I need a set myself for a '69 GTX.

Edited by Plowboy

Several of the reissued JoHan models that had the 440 engines had some nice headers. Also, Revell has put out a few models that had something otheer than a Hemi engine that should also work. Try posting your header needs on the forum and see what some other builder might have to offer. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, espo said:

Several of the reissued JoHan models that had the 440 engines had some nice headers. Also, Revell has put out a few models that had something otheer than a Hemi engine that should also work. Try posting your header needs on the forum and see what some other builder might have to offer. 

Now I think about, I have two of the Landy 1968 SS/EA Dart kits, which have underchassis, long tube headers. Thanks for popping a memory capsule!

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Are those Hemi cars or 440s? I think I have one in the stash. I need a set myself for a '69 GTX.

Looks like early Hemi, the way the headers are broken down would make them easy to adapt to most anything:

Dodge Headers.JPG

Vette Headers.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The Lindberg "Color Me Gone" has a Max Wedge 426 with a nice set of headers. I thought all of the variants came with the Hemi. But, apparently not.  

According to DodgeGarage, it SHOULD have the Hemi: https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/heritage/2020/04/special-handling-the-426-hemi-drag-package-cars.html

The engine sprue from the "Ramchargers" (I'm not that versed in Mopar Voodoo, but aren't the wide valve covers with spark plug access unique to the Hemis?)

Not trying to de-rail your thread, John, and for your purpose, I still think the headers are a good adaptable design. Interesting note on the 'vette headers is their extra vertical reach, if that's needed.

P1030063.JPG

Edited by bisc63
forgot pic!
  • Like 1

The 426 Hemi -- race-only applications until the '66 model year -- premiered in mid-1964, replacing the 426-W (Wedge). 

The Lindberg Dodge & Plymouth Super Stock kits were available with the "generic" (i.e., could represent a B or RB engine) 383 & 413/426W engines as well, with the 426 Hemi in some other kits (as witnessed by your photos). 

Fenderwell headers were the only set available for them, both wedge and hemi , in these kits (I could be wrong -- I only have the Dodge 330, which is stock only; 383 four barrel). Same with the Johan '64 S/S (which I also have).

I'm going to dig for my copies of the Revell 1968 SS/EA Landy's Dart 440, and pirate the underchassis headers from one of them. Their presence is unusual, as underchassis headers for big blocks Darts & Barracudas (1964-1966; 1967-1969) were seldom seen or used (the first 383-powered 1967 Dart that was built by Mr. Norms chief wrench in late 1966 was equipped with underchassis headers from Iggy's Mufflers) . That's why I thought that Revell's inclusion of them in Landy's 440-powered SS/EA Dart was unusual... the 1:1 used fenderwell headers.

Thanks for the info and for the photos!

11 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The 426 Hemi -- race-only applications until the '66 model year -- premiered in mid-1964, replacing the 426-W (Wedge). 

The Lindberg Dodge & Plymouth Super Stock kits were available with the "generic" (i.e., could represent a B or RB engine) 383 & 413/426W engines as well, with the 426 Hemi in some other kits (as witnessed by your photos). 

Fenderwell headers were the only set available for them, both wedge and hemi , in these kits (I could be wrong -- I only have the Dodge 330, which is stock only; 383 four barrel). Same with the Johan '64 S/S (which I also have).

I'm going to dig for my copies of the Revell 1968 SS/EA Landy's Dart 440, and pirate the underchassis headers from one of them. Their presence is unusual, as underchassis headers for big blocks Darts & Barracudas (1964-1966; 1967-1969) were seldom seen or used (the first 383-powered 1967 Dart that was built by Mr. Norms chief wrench in late 1966 was equipped with underchassis headers from Iggy's Mufflers) . That's why I thought that Revell's inclusion of them in Landy's 440-powered SS/EA Dart was unusual... the 1:1 used fenderwell headers.

Thanks for the info and for the photos!

The Lindberg "Color Me Gone" has under chassis headers. They're a two piece design. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 3:34 AM, bisc63 said:

The Mopar teams started the 1964 season with 426 Max Wedge engines and later changed to 426 Race Hemi when it became available in mid 1964.
So in 1964 they could have both.
For 1965 they almost excusively used the Hemi so why Polar Lights had a 426 Max Wedge as a the race option in the 1965 Dodge Coronet I don't understand, but for the stock application it's understandable as the street Hemi didn't come until 1966.