Model Cars Magazine Forum

Copycat automotive design.

46 minutes ago, espo said:

Taking your hand off the steering wheel while trying to avoid an accident? There used to be an old saying for that, "The bind leading the blind" or "Monkey see monkey do".  

Makes sense. Let go of the wheel so you don't break a nail upon impact! 

When I was learning, I was taught "Cover your brake, anticipate others to do the unexpected."

A tool I've never forgotten. 

3 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Makes sense. Let go of the wheel so you don't break a nail upon impact! 

When I was learning, I was taught "Cover your brake, anticipate others to do the unexpected."

A tool I've never forgotten. 

Something to consider whenever you're in multi lane traffic. I always look to see if the other driver is looking in their rearview or sideview mirrors, if they're not there is a good chance they don't realize you are even in the next lane. Try and avoid lingering in their blind spot if possible. I also watch where their tires are in relation to the painted lines. Many drivers will drift back and forth in their lane like an old pak man game.  

• Thanks 1

@Ace-Garageguy flamethrowers out back for tailgaters. My DD throws 6” on wfo. upshifts usually makes point. 
Funny about mirrors. I came up on my daughter doing 85. She figured nobody behind her until all she saw was my headlights and grille filling her mirrors. Lol. Learned about always checking mirrors esp when speeding. 
They get one free incident, then have to pay difference in insurance if at fault. Money great motivator. 
Back to topic, people would buy smaller cars if they knew how to avoid crashes  It’s hard to get license in many countries, here you need a pulse.  
Worst thing about styling is trying to find it in a parking lot. Helps with drunks I guess  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, espo said:

Around here you don't dare step out into the cross walk unless you have made eye contact with the on coming cars driver. Even then there is no guarantee that they are going to allow you to use the cross walk. 

around here we're aflicted with the most dangerous and oblivious form of pedestrians. we call them wombles but most places call thm tourists. they dont have any sense of self preservation instinct. they will happily step out in front of cars for that one perfect photo. they'll walk into businesses like its a tourist attraction and their allowed to be there. to stop them getting on my work boat, we use a wet paint sign cos the staff only one obviously didn't mean tourists. theres a liner every day this summer (270 carrying at least 3500 each) and at least 4 people a week will get hit by cars

55 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm justa yearnin' for a rig like this...

Stave Off a Zombie Invasion in a Custom Hyundai Elantra ...

I bet you could build this thing ! Since your moving to Arizona may I suggest you may want to think about mounting a firearm of some sort. The parking lots out here are brutal !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Lotta the opposite around here. Entitled pedestrians just step out in traffic anydammwhere, expecting drivers to slam on their brakes to accommodate their whims. Guess their mommas never taught them to look both ways before crossing the street, or to cross at crosswalks if they're designated...and to wait for the lights.

Problem I used to run into wasn't kids running in front of me, it was either adults old enough to be there parents, or grand parents, sometimes dragging the kids behind them and looking at me like "You Better Stop!"

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

around here we're aflicted with the most dangerous and oblivious form of pedestrians. we call them wombles but most places call thm tourists. they dont have any sense of self preservation instinct. they will happily step out in front of cars for that one perfect photo. they'll walk into businesses like its a tourist attraction and their allowed to be there. to stop them getting on my work boat, we use a wet paint sign cos the staff only one obviously didn't mean tourists. theres a liner every day this summer (270 carrying at least 3500 each) and at least 4 people a week will get hit by cars

I am not sure where the majority of your tourists are from, but here in 'Murica we learn at an early age to look left when crossing the street, then look right as you start to step out. When visiting countries with opposite rules of the road, it takes a bit to unlearn that so you look right then left. The veer left/veer right thing with oncoming pedestrians and folks on the stairs takes a bit to get rewired in the brain as well.

I was amused to see the LOOK signs with the right arrow at crossings in Ireland. They told us it was for the stupid Germans, but I am sure they told the Germans it was for the stupid Americans.

The Wet Paint sign is a stroke of genius.

4 hours ago, keyser said:

First thing I taught kids was max braking. Early.  And steering while looking where you want to go. Minimize impact with glancing blow, and accordion braking, leaving exit room. Gas pedal last thing to learn, and wfo so they know how it feels when needed. 
Sedan looks like a Luigi Colani effort. 

Very good.
But there is a whole generation of parent drivers who do not know anything about defensive driving (or even how to change a tire).  They already have teenage kids but they can't teach those kids how to drive defensively.  The other problem is the "smart cars" we drive today.  Not even the latest "safety gadgets" but even just the basic anti-lock brakes and traction control make defensive driving very difficult.  The control of your car has been taken away from you . . . by your own car. :blink:

33 minutes ago, peteski said:

...But there is a whole generation of parent drivers who do not know anything about defensive driving (or even how to change a tire).  They already have teenage kids but they can't teach those kids how to drive defensively.  The other problem is the "smart cars" we drive today.  Not even the latest "safety gadgets" but even just the basic anti-lock brakes and traction control make defensive driving very difficult.  The control of your car has been taken away from you . . . by your own car. 

The cars are just a reflection of a society-wide mindset that says taking personal responsibility for the control of one's own vehicle, or any aspect of one's own life for that matter, is old-think, no longer relevant.

Everything is supposed to be guaranteed to be "safe" and to take care of widdle babies from cwadle to gwave.

Don't bother to become a competent and skilled driver. It's hard, and it interferes with texting, taking selfies, and updating your social media accounts.

Everything in the real-here-and-now world is either somebody else's fault, or somebody else's responsibility.

Old man yelling at clouds? No. Just a dose of truth widdle babies don't like to swallow.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Problem I used to run into wasn't kids running in front of me, it was either adults old enough to be there parents, or grand parents, sometimes dragging the kids behind them and looking at me like "You Better Stop!"

Yeah, it's not the kids so much 'round here either. But whenever I see children, I immediately slow way down anyway, knowing kids can do really stupid things. And it's tough to get them cleaned out of the suspension.

Unfortunately, it's primarily the "adults" who seem to think any paved area is their sole property, and it's my obligation to take care of them no matter what they might do.

Some of the waddling sacks of protoplasm in the parking lots won't even get out of the way as a courtesy, but insist on walking right down the middle of the aisles.

The kids at least seem to have a better sense of self-preservation.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Kinda surprising GM hasn't licensed these for production.

If ever a machine was a reflection of the society that spawned it...

Looking at Erwin Wurm's Fat Cars will make you laugh ...

Volvo based? Rare Saturn Uterus cabriolet? Could be a Kardassian Pannus convertible. 

Edited by keyser
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Kinda surprising GM hasn't licensed these for production.

Not really, convertibles don’t sell. :P

Now if it was a four door crossover... you would’ve seen a bowtie, a tri-shield, a crest, and a GMC badge grace the front end of it by now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Not really, convertibles don’t sell. :P

Now if it was a four door crossover... you would’ve seen a bowtie, a tri-shield, a crest, and a GMC badge grace the front end of it by now.

And you still wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 

3 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Musta had a 30-person committee design the front of that dog-puke-ugly mess.

Eh, it is just a new generation of designers styling new generation cars.  :wacko:  They probably think it looks cool (or whatever the current word for "cool" is).

3 hours ago, keyser said:

Blue GTC/4 for the win. Mitchell and Jordan that ran GM styling were huge Ferrari fans, both knew Sergio Pininfarina and his dad Batista as friends. The 70 Camaro was dead ringer for 250MM/340MM

DFD22D30-6C2D-435C-99B2-7B55131A7792.jpeg

95B70C7A-9D70-457D-8539-E96485CF1525.jpeg

9749609F-8FD1-4B97-AD2B-C2501345A340.jpeg

B18BA320-1133-4E1C-9A14-A17E9EA5AAA0.jpeg

I remember that Camaro. Mitchell even had a Ferrari V12 installed in this daily driver.

Next up, Studebaker or Jeep Gladiator. Coincidence - I think not!

851d9b892767109c2ce62eeadd23db11.png.b88c4cae5a00ad5387bb72998b054f85.png

b267590d87a83c3c1701284516de9110--jeep-gladiator-jeep-truck.jpg.fdd97856569fec599d3ab08c2c13f260.jpg

P1110903.jpg.9518df296a0cabeb6b2f2c2adfeb345e.jpg

17506baa8349ac919c38d54a8480a63a.jpg.8c364f3e75055e6933384daaacaf1588.jpg