Model Cars Magazine Forum

Front Grilles, Accent with Black

Can anyone give me some insight on what you use and how do you accent front grilles with black so that it doesn't look like a solid piece of chrome plastic? For about 40 years now, I have always brushed on some flat or semi flat paint, then simply and very lightly wipe the excess off with a tissue. The left over paint would settle into the low crevices and the the chrome fins of the grille would shine through. Another method I have used was to let the paint dry, then lightly rub the paint off of the high spots with a tooth pick. Both of these methods have always worked for me.

Well, I am working on the Moebius '65 Plymouth. The crevices are so shallow, that when I try to wipe the excess paint off, I end up taking it all out. Then I tried again with my second method and it looks even worse. Attached is a photo of what I am ending up with.

So my question to everyone is what other methods are out there for detailing grilles?

20220403_095134.jpg.52d2029538aabff3bfcddb3b24eceaa4.jpg

Edited by RT6PK

I use two ways one is Tamiy  Black panel line details and it sinks in all low recessed area. Two I spray the grill black and with a q-tip damp with thinner mineral spirits I clean the paint off the edges o the grill that I want to show..

It may take 4-5 coats for the desired outcome, but the Tamiya Panel Line Accent will flow off of the high spots of the grille and settle in the crevices. As long as you keep the grill relative level during application and drying, you shouldn't need to do any wiping.

I have used both the accent and flat or semi gloss acrylic paint. The accent seems to want to cling to the corners and not cover the flat areas so it needs more coats I find. The paint usually needs some cleanup and I like the finer Tamiya swabs on the left rather than Q-tips for that task.

5D0AB434-AD35-4BE4-9B72-9BCF7D969FEC.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RT6PK said:

Thanks for all of the input guys. I ordered some of Tamiya stuff today.

Jamie

Maybe you (or any one for this matter) can spray a light coat of matte clear over the area where the recesses are before applying the panel line wash. The matte clear would act like a primer coat, keeping the wash level by grabbing it before it gets the chance to hide in the corners.

I did this on the grille of the AMT 1965 AWB Nova, and it worked like a charm.

9 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Maybe you (or any one for this matter) can spray a light coat of matte clear over the area where the recesses are before applying the panel line wash. The matte clear would act like a primer coat, keeping the wash level by grabbing it before it gets the chance to hide in the corners.

I did this on the grille of the AMT 1965 AWB Nova, and it worked like a charm.

That's a good idea. I'm going to try it.

I have also had good results using Vallejo Model Wash (76.518 Black).  Like people had mentioned with the Tamiya product, sometimes additional applications may be needed in some areas.

This is a recent kit done with the Vallejo wash.

P1010090.JPG.d4c407c24d2607ee89f90783a72e5527.JPGThanks,

Bart