Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Hurst/Olds Indy Pace Car

Bills72sj

I have gathered enough items to run this project to completion. I have disassembled a 75 Cutlass promo and will be making mods to backdate it to a 74. I have two sets of decals to make the H/O Indy pace car. Thus begins another kitbash adventure.

74 HO ad.jpg

Promo and decals.JPG

• Like 10

14 hours ago, DoctorLarry said:

Grilles are different but rear bumper is the same. I have a 74 front end. If you want I can make a resin copy to spare you some time.

IMG_4162 (1).jpg

Larry, Thank you for the generous offer. I am going to attempt to make appropriate mods on mine. If I fail, I will take you up on the offer.

Some kitbashing is required to improve the detail of my 74 H/O project.

Based on the chassis requirements of my Olds and the desire to make a Pro Street 66 GTO in the future, some swapping and hacking is needed.

The 67 Chevelle is giving up the rear of its chassis to the GTO. The rest of the chassis is for the Cutlass.

The rear portion of the GTO chassis is spliced to the front Chevelle chassis to make it complete.

Chassis donors.jpg

74 HO chassis parts.JPG

Chassis spliced.JPG

• Like 1

This should be alot of fun to watch. BTW....great subject. My grandfather had one of these old Cutlass' and he was going to gift it to me but my dad stopped him. Probably a good move because that old car was no slouch and I was an idiot teenage driver at the time.

4 hours ago, DoctorLarry said:

The seats are not correct for the H/O, are they?

Probably not. Now I will have to go find what I can find that is better. The bolstering and the high backs are correct but the pleats are supposed to be vertical not horizontal. I will have to see if I am in the mood to deal with it when I get to that point.

Edited by Bills72sj

I actually have the Monte Carlo snappy. However, I do have some 70 Monte Carlo seats in my parts box. Some slicing and dicing with the promo seats might get me there. I'm not sure if I have parts to make the rear bench match though.