Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 General Lee firewall needed

Vince311

• 3 months later...

I have the wheels, but would need something to replace them... ours is becoming a Bonneville contender!  Actually, some B-ville type tires and rims are what's holding up our build.  Sorry, the firewall has been glued in since the '90s.  If you can source what I need, I'll trade and toss in the Robert E. decals -- I'll never put the flag on one of my cars, thx.  My son's model; he was a Duke's fan, but he conceived the car with a big airfoil on the trunk, spoiler, and twin-turbo hemmy. ( If I spell it 'hemmy' do I have to put Chrysler's trade-mark sign on it?)  The hemispherical combustion chamber of course was invented in about 1906 in Eurp.  Let me know?

Wick, modelling since 1953 -- I'm 77.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Vince,

I believe I've found my Dukes 1:16 mag wheel outers, if that would get you started?  I don't need other 1:16 rims after all, though I wish someone made racing-style Moon discs that size!  Let me know your address and I'll send them.  Do you need the decal sheet after all?  I can spare it ; never like the Dukes anyway!  I could use some 1:25 Ford logo decals.  Wick again, Chico CA

• Vince311 changed the title to 1/16 General Lee firewall needed

So....i found that on the new GL 1:16 box, they includes silhouettes of the part trees. i was able to get a scan and recreate the firewall shape. i need to scale...but this might work for my purposes. i don't plan to have the hood open much....:-)

now it appears that others have swapped out the massive tires for thinner variants. never ends!

firewall.JPG

Did you want the wide tires?  Our car needs Bonneville-type skins in 1;16 -- tho most people won't know the dif.  Indy style okay, too.  

I would buy a bunch of Fireston 'Speedway' style tires in 1;25 if I could find them.  Most offered seem undersized.  Both Monogram and old Comet made real-rubber tires of that type (biggiish, too) in 1;24 about sixty years ago; some of their kits were meant to be motorized.  I had the Comet 'Panther" now find one tire/rim only!  Do have the decal sheet, tho.   Wick

14 hours ago, W Humble said:

Did you want the wide tires?  Our car needs Bonneville-type skins in 1;16 -- tho most people won't know the dif.  Indy style okay, too.  

I would buy a bunch of Fireston 'Speedway' style tires in 1;25 if I could find them.  Most offered seem undersized.  Both Monogram and old Comet made real-rubber tires of that type (biggiish, too) in 1;24 about sixty years ago; some of their kits were meant to be motorized.  I had the Comet 'Panther" now find one tire/rim only!  Do have the decal sheet, tho.   Wick

Looks like other folks who did this build have used the Goodyear radial GT tires… which are a bit thinner. I understand these came on the 78 1:16 Camaro kit. 

News to me -- but I'll bet they're rare!  I bought some 1/25 scale Indy 'stones from Indycals, with rims, but they are only okay, and spendy.  The Firestone sport specials were a distinctive looking tire.  I nees some 1/24 versions too, for an old Strombecker Scarab kit; it was a 'slot car' (battery powered, in '59) and came with the good real rubber tires, also, and some nice 2-pc Halibrands with k/o's.  I've lost the tires, or traded them (to Bambam Flintstone,) I don't know; I tried to surface cast the wheels in resin, but poor luck.  No one wants to make them, by my research.  Coolest! 

Our Charger is black, and will get white 'scallops' ala SoCal rods.  I may just cook up some Moon discs, somehow.  Resin cast some 1'16 Accel turbos from the AMT Nomad kit, but plumbing dual turbos is a nightmare, even large scale.  I should live so long!  Thanks for the conversations!  Good luck, post some pics?

Wick