Model Cars Magazine Forum

76 Dodge Dart… AKA 74 Plymouth Duster

dsummone

I’m on a quest to build examples of cars I have owned, and while I’m waiting to get the 68 Charger body painted I thought I’d get started planning this one out. I had a 1974 340 Duster and this is as close as I can find. 
The kit leaves a bit to be desired… engine detail is almost non existent, molded in driveline ( I may cut that out) but the chrome doesn’t look too bad and it includes a 2 carb tunnel ram, which I had. 
I will have to find a snorkel scoop or build one and the paint will be a pretty ugly green if I can find something similar to what was on it. 
The one thing I definitely won’t be using is the little plastic man that came with the kit. 
I know I can get a 66 Bug, A 70 MGB (mine was a Midget but the B will have to do) an 80 Toyota 4X (snap kit)                Looking for a 70 El Camino, a 70 Buick Skyhawk and a bunch of others to complete my new obsession.

Thanks for looking.

A1B0D5F1-E742-4FDA-AD9A-CDB0FBC3DAA4.jpeg

3483A4DD-D8CB-4050-AF32-4FB84FBDC980.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dsummone said:

The kit leaves a bit to be desired… engine detail is almost non existent, molded in driveline [...] and it includes a 2 carb tunnel ram, which I had. 
I will have to find a snorkel scoop or build one and the paint will be a pretty ugly green if I can find something similar to what was on it. 

Considering its age --dates to the 1971 Duster 340 annual-- it's not all that bad. 

Accuracy issues? Plenty -- starting with the 4-speed trans & automatic console... 8.75" rear is, while incorrect after 1972, decent.

Should you feel compelled to use the stock, kit-supplied chassis, watch for the offset front wheelbase. It's not too obvious upon a prima facie exam; but, once the front wheel assemblies are installed, the difference becomes quite apparent. 

Sometimes the MPC 1973-1975 Duster annuals (not the mislabelled 1983-issue Dodge Duster [MPC] nor the c.2003-issue of the 1975 Duster Hardtop [AMT/RC2] kits) pop up on eBay for a reasonable price, esp. built-ups.

As far as the "pretty ugly green" colour: The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1973 Paint Chip Charts Slideshow (hamtramck-historical.com) . That's a 1973 chart, but the greens are the same for 1974.

I set the body on the chassis and I am happy with the ride height. 
Removed the molded in driveline and filled in with a piece of styrene. After the glue sets I will bondo and sand it smooth. Will have to find or make a driveline. 
Got the engine assembled but will have to wait to run the plug wires, the included headers leave much to be desired so I will have to find something suitable or build my own. 
Thanks for looking in on this. 
Dave. 

2096BD4D-40ED-4D33-8E25-4B32F0DDAC49.jpeg

1B27B7BA-136D-4FEF-9285-30FC1CC681DF.jpeg

BC23B348-35B5-4C93-8A2D-1D0D06F402E3.jpeg

E75965F9-FA92-4786-A111-DC80B0E1D526.jpeg

8FA8AE42-0082-4481-A8F8-B896A85F206D.jpeg

Going to look like a real street machine, but if I may say, I think your front tires are just a bit too large. They look "over-scaled" in the photo, and it may just be a photographic anomaly, but they appear "balloonish" in those wheel openings. Otherwise, your mockup has a very strong muscle car stance!

26 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Going to look like a real street machine, but if I may say, I think your front tires are just a bit too large. They look "over-scaled" in the photo, and it may just be a photographic anomaly, but they appear "balloonish" in those wheel openings. Otherwise, your mockup has a very strong muscle car stance!

Yeah, I wanted to use those centerline wheels but they wouldn’t fit the smaller tires. I am going to have to use other wheels or find a way to make these a bit thinner. 

Lots of kits with similar wheels, shouldn't be too hard to source some. For a snorkel scoop you mentioned earlier, will the one from the AMT 57 vette street machine work for you? If so, PM me your address, and I'll send you one.

2 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Lots of kits with similar wheels, shouldn't be too hard to source some. For a snorkel scoop you mentioned earlier, will the one from the AMT 57 vette street machine work for you? If so, PM me your address, and I'll send you one.

I’ll take you up on the scoop… thanks so much. 
Believe it or not, the wheels were what got me started on this. I saw them and instantly thought of my old duster, had the same wheels on it. 
So here I am, second model in my near 40 year away time from plastics and I’m on the trail of building replicas of all my old cars. 
Ordered my 68 Dart and 66 Bug today. 
I don’t know what I’ve got myself into 😁

• Like 1

THAT looks much more in proportion with the wheel opening, don't you think? Are your wheels the 1/24 Monogram "Centerlines"? If you're having trouble finding 1/25 choices, here's a couple of possibilities that open up way more choices for tires. The chrome ones are found in the AMT '59 El Camino, and are all the same offset and have the slightly convex center area much like what you have. The unfinished wheels are a deep and shallow set found in AMT's '55 Chevy, and have a flat center.

Modular wheels.JPG

• Thanks 1

Well I got impatient at the start of this and started building the engine with parts I had instead of trying to stick to the plan of building this as true to my 74 Duster as I can. 
A little back story, The Duster was my 2nd car, I traded my pristine 66 Bug for it (my next build and what a foolish trade) The Duster had a worn out 360 in it and my older brother who was a mechanical genius as well as a renowned swapper of parts, traded the 360 and who knows what from his own stash of stuff for the 340 six pack and helped me rebuild it. 
So I got looking on line and found this resin manifold set up, it’s 1:24 instead of 1:25 so a little trimming was needed. And I really didn’t like the detailing on the trans from the kit so I picked up this Muncie 4-speed, I know Muncie was not used in Mooars but it will work. Also built an alternator mount from styrene, not thrilled with it and may start over but it’s so tiny that it’s a real pain. 
Thanks to bisc I have some other stuff coming, so I will keep you up to date. 
Dave. 

9B4F68B0-C4F3-46A9-8274-5FB0EDFD1FB1.jpeg

F58D9238-08DA-481E-8BE3-C4318661F267.jpeg

AA686FB5-9CAF-4B24-9CA3-C98730B91D6D.jpeg

D03F873E-D883-4E36-9E09-D5D4052BF5E5.jpeg

51D8AE87-12D3-48C0-94CA-5A7D9AD786FB.jpeg

Started looking at the interior and as 1972coronet pointed out, the automatic trans console had to go. 
I was able to cut thought the floor with an exacto and then pieced a not trans tunnel and driveline tunnel out of sheet styrene. I used the JB Weld Superweld from the bottom and it worked great, masking tape on the topside to keep it from leaking though and it filled most of the gaps. 
Got the rough sanding done and ready for some light filling then finish sand it. 
I don’t know what to do with the texturing though, I went to my local hobby shop and hobby lobby and they don’t have a dark green flocking. 
Dave

382E5761-C14B-48D5-B788-013E3133AAA2.jpeg

3079864F-7D18-41D1-93C7-37FD85A02DAE.jpeg

4B798FEB-4A8A-4883-A650-63FB14299F32.jpeg

8E213BCA-6EE5-45FE-BC85-EBF742F6F44B.jpeg

6B7FA7EC-648B-4188-A9F6-92F2A63414CD.jpeg

FFBBDD7C-071C-44A5-B9C0-7A1034DEC4C2.jpeg

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Good work on that console delete. As far as carpeting replication: embossing powder is your friend. Available in different colours (I have both white and black) and may be painted-over. Check in the crafts aisle of Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc. 

Thanks for the info.