Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamyia Putty Problem

I used Tamiya Putty both white & gray on a Kyle Petty Mello Yello kit. It looked smoth as glass until I primed car. I used Tamiya white primer & it was full of pinholes as soon as paint hit the puttied area. Anyone have any idea what's going on & how can I fix it?

best way to fix it is trash the putty. i tried it years ago but never liked it.. get you some of this you will be glad you did.. Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty... you can get it from just about anywhere..i get mine at Walmart.. dries fast sands easy..

shopping.jpg.1335b7b8f70bed0583cf4395bee44a67 (2).jpg

I have had a similar issue with Tamiya putty, though always when filling a series if fine grooves in body work. It would probably be the case regardless of what putty I used. Recently I filled the fine, molded vents in a Pantera hood, and as I swiped the putty over the vent fins, I entrapped a pocket of air at the bottom of each groove between fins. A more careful application of putty would have helped. When I sanded back the putty, I exposed these air pockets. I seemed to chase those air pockets forever, through several applications of putty. More air would get trapped in the pockets, and I just couldn't seem to work it out. Eventually I did with a couple applications of Gunze Mr Surfacer, which, being liquid, flows into the pockets and displaces the air. 

In fact, any time I use putty and sand it smooth, I always follow up with an application of Mr Surfacer. Being very fine grained, it sands much smoother than any putty I have used, and is far superior at feathering out, and creates an all-round better finish.

Just a thought...always try to get your putty, especially one-part lacquer putty, applied in one continuous pass without going over it again.

The one-part stuff surface-flashes quickly, and going over a pass with the spreader again is a good way to work dried material, and air-bubbles, into your filler.

It's also preferable to use a two-part catalyzed filler if you're doing any fills thicker than about 1/32 of an inch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2