Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Nova Pro Street Update 11/14/22 Completed Chassis Photo Pg. 5

Plowboy

6 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Nice update. I’m taking notes because I’m thinking at some point of doing the same pro street kitbash with the ‘64 SS body. I like the new rear tires but bummed you’re ditching the wheels. 

Your super charger parts were mailed this morning. 😎

Thanx Dennis, I appreciate the help! I'm not necessarily ditching the wheels yet. I'm just going to look at others to see if I find something that I like better. 

• Like 2

Welp, I've done all of the fitment work that can be done. It's now going together like a kit. I hope it still does when it comes final assembly time. I got rid of the goofy grille mount. The grille now fits much better. I had to do some trimming on the flange at the front of the cowl. It was keeping the hood up above the fenders at the rear.

20220419_133434-1.jpg.662845f093bdbb4fce672c8116ba586c.jpg

I have the door panels and roll bar fitted. I had to modify the roll bar a bit to get it to fit like it should. I'll have to find a set of seats that will fit. The larger transmission tunnel and door bar keeps the seats from fitting. They're pretty wide anyway. I got rid of the crooked gas cap.

20220419_133418-1.jpg.eb75776450b3f70ee1cb1e8957a13c72.jpg

The body is now ready to be sanded and get the final primer. While it's drying, I can work on the rest to get it ready for primer. And..... Dennis can now rest easy as I've decided to stick with these wheels. I'm still rolling around other color options in my head. I'm thinking the interior will get black no matter which color I go with.

20220419_133849-1.jpg.1ba6c6dd9a98e31512e3cd0d9b49c095.jpg

I'm kinda thinking about doing the two tone like this car. I believe it will maybe help hide the chop. But, I'm not sure. Used-1965-Chevrolet-Nova-1592332254.jpg.710a1072b1aaf3069ead932df09281ad.jpg

• Like 5

• Plowboy changed the title to '65 Nova Pro Street Update 4/19/22

Awesome update Roger! This is a real beauty. For what it’s worth, I think those wheels look great, good choice to stick with them. The engine you have chosen will be killer.
I appreciate that you shared your mock up mishap, good lesson for kit bashing. Check, double check, then check again… I can’t tell you how many mock ups I had that were “perfect” then, oooops… missed something.  Sounds like Dennis and I have the same idea about tubbing the ‘64. 
Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 8:57 PM, Steve H said:

Awesome update Roger! This is a real beauty. For what it’s worth, I think those wheels look great, good choice to stick with them. The engine you have chosen will be killer.
I appreciate that you shared your mock up mishap, good lesson for kit bashing. Check, double check, then check again… I can’t tell you how many mock ups I had that were “perfect” then, oooops… missed something.  Sounds like Dennis and I have the same idea about tubbing the ‘64. 
Cheers, Steve

Thanx Steve! I really like the wheels also. But, it never hurts to look around. I have one more thing that I have to do a fit check on and that's the blower setup. Thanx to Dennis, I have it now! I'm thinking the clearance is going to be pretty close between the rear carburetor breather and the hood scoop. Maybe also the distributor. I may need to raise the transmission or lower the engine. Or both. 

Mistake number two! Pretty easy to see what's wrong.

20220421_195245-1.jpg.97ae6de2db2a6d6d0f260b4190228931.jpg

As I was mocking up the blower, all was going well until.....I stuck the blower belt on. Dang it! So, I'm going to have to cut the hood scoop loose and do it over. I'm thinking I may have to make the scoop a little taller also. The breathers will clear. But, only if I leave the bottom piece off. Since I'm having to do it over, I gotta make it the way it needs to be. Minor setback. Better to discover it now instead of later.

20220421_195358-1.jpg.b58e6d284d541dcee9c0f150b03a660b.jpg

I'm thinking that the scoop will only need to come forward a couple of mms, three at the most.

• Like 1

Thanx guys! Getting back on track. I started by getting the breathers exactly the way I wanted them. I ditched the kit pieces that glue to the bottom of them and replaced them with .010 styrene. I'll hit them with a Molotow pen later. One thing I'm going to change is the space between the carburetors. They're too close together right now. 

20220423_091952-1.jpg.8d962c012fbf5b5da7e5949a49369fb8.jpg

Then it was time to modify the scoop. I'll have to say, the scoop was definitely glued well! I had to literally saw it off! Tamiya Extra Thin really does the job! I set the hood back on the body to see how much I needed to enlarge the opening up front. It needed around 3mms taken out to get it to fit well with a little room to spare. I then checked the scoop and determined that it needed at least a couple of mms in height added to it. A couple of layers of .040 got it where I needed it to be. I would have rather left it as it was. But, the alternative would have been a nightmare. Sometimes, you have to pick your battles.

20220423_091926-1.jpg.f6ba4ce52e755372485f8e08a6983781.jpg

I'll see what it looks like when I get it in primer. If I don't like it, I may do an outlaw cowl hood.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vintage AMT said:

Or maybe just let the blower showB)

I can't. Somehow, the engine is off center just a bit to the right. I'm going to see if I can fix it. But, it looks like I don't have the room to move it to the left. It's only about a mm. But, it would stick out like a sore thumb if it was open. 

56 minutes ago, slusher said:

Sweet looking engine, Roger. I wish they would reissue the Rat Roadster..

Thanx Carl! Your wish is granted! Almost. They had to make a few changes due to licensing. But, it's actually better except for the Duvall windshield. 

10878089b.jpg.95c41d7c9462321adaf7b78cf44bb119.jpg

You can find more info on it in the Reviews section.

• Like 1

The body is now ready to be sanded and painted! The only problem now is, I don't like how the hood scoop looks. It just doesn't look right to me with the added height. So, I'm going to cut it back off again and make an outlaw cowl hood for it.

I figured out what my off center engine problem was. It's the chassis instead of the engine. Easy fix. So, I can have the option of leaving the top of the engine open if I happen to not like the cowl hood. 

20220430_185132-1.jpg.9ed29e4c32735689f8aa6dcc1933df8a.jpg

20220412_111641-1.jpg.8b9b9e4d54fecfaff07ed80821d952aa.jpg

• Plowboy changed the title to '65 Nova Pro Street Update 5/1/22 New Hood Scoop!
6 hours ago, slusher said:

I like the second picture with the lower scoop.   I like the windshield I the Rat Roadster. Works for me now if we could get the Baja Bandito with a way to get around licensing..

Thanx Carl! I liked it that way best. But, it and the breathers didn't want to get along.

Edited by Plowboy

4 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

I know its not really your thing or style Roger.  My opinion, which dont count for much. Is to let the blower and breathers/air filters show through the hood it will suit the build.

I really considered doing that. A LOT. It would've made things a lot easier. But, I have to do it my way. This will be the only '65 Nova that I'll ever build. Time today was spent on sawing the old hood scoop off and scratch building an outlaw cowl scoop. This is the first time I've done one of these. 

20220501_141747-1.jpg.2d2adb3458ff3e15748166fc56721e8a.jpg

20220501_141817-1-1.jpg.d48cf9b369992c0b5e36cd8aff022b81.jpg

It's a bit jarring to me right now comparing it to the other hood scoop. But, it gives a little more modern look now and doesn't look like a '90s refugee. I'll see what it looks like in primer and go from there. 

• Like 1

• Plowboy changed the title to '65 Nova Pro Street Update 11/14/22 Completed Chassis Photo Pg. 5