Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deuce Hi-Boy - McMullen Inspired Tribute

Phildaupho

This Deuce Hi-Boy is in no way presented as being a replica of the McMullen ’32 Roadster but was definitely inspired by it and is a tribute to that iconic hot rod. I did try to duplicate as many of its distinctive features as I could but fell short with the flames and pinstriping. Building this model was definitely a very educational and entertaining experience.

2v2aWz62zximYT.jpg2v2aWz6Q3ximYT.jpg2v2aWz6JjximYT.jpg2v2aWz6E8ximYT.jpg2v2aWz6cMximYT.jpg

MODIFICATIONS AND PARTS USED

Body

Revell ’32 Ford Roadster

Door handle holes filled

Cowl vent filled

Replicas & Miniatures opened up grill shell and double-sided radiator with Model Car Garage photo-etched grill.

Replicas & Miniatures stock firewall

’39 Ford taillights from Revell Deuce with MCG photo-etch

Chopped windshield from Rat Roaster

Headlights from Rat Roaster with shocks removed

Increased width of Moon tank from 32 5-W with Evergreen tube & added fabricated hand pump

Tow bar mounting plates added to front frame horns

Interior

Seat has pleated area from 32 5W modified

Door panels from 32 5W – cranks removed. Replicas & Miniature door handle

Steering wheel Revell Model-A Coupe

Dash is from the kit blanked with sheet styrene with a self made 8 gauge decal

Skull shift knob from R/M 1/24 T-Bucket

Gas pedal AMT 289 Cobra

Parts box hand brake lever

Chassis

Revell ’32 Ford frame with floor pan initially separated from frame rails and modified with trunk floor from AMT ’29 Ford Roadster to clear the rear cross member

K-member fabricated from AMT Ala Kart, the Revell kit transmission mount and Evergreen styrene

Rear cross-member/spring mount from Revell 1/25 ’29 Model Pickup installed so rear spring could be mounted forward of rear-end

Aluminum tube spreader bars

Front Suspension

I-beam front axle from Revell Model-A which was drilled

Lever shocks from Revell ’37 Ford Truck

Revell Model-A radius rods which were drilled

Rear Suspension

Replicas & Miniatures quick-change and transverse spring

Revell 37 Ford Truck shocks

Torque tube and wishbone from AMT 29 Ford roadster

Front Brakes

Revell Model-A brakes with cooling fins sanded off and backing plated “chromed”

Back Brakes

Revell Model-A brakes with cooling fins sanded off

Front Wheels and Tires

Revell Deuce Torque-Thrusts narrowed for tires from Revell 29 Ford, Firestone decals from Revell Chaparral 2D

Rear Wheels and Tires

Revell Deuce Torque-Thrusts narrowed for tires from Revell 50 Olds. Firestone decals from Revell Chaparral 2D

Engine

Small Block Chev engine from Revell ’59 Corvette

4-71 Blower assembly from Testors Coupster

Headers from Revell Beatnik Bandit II with fabricated collector boxes

Exhaust combines aluminum tubing and modified parts from the Revell Model A

Transmission

From original Ala Kart Hemi in later re-issues or original Revell ’29 Model-A Roadster

Paint – Tamiya spray

Flame Decals – From other 32 Ford kits

Pinstriping – Body trim pinstriping is narrow cut self-adhesive vinyl. Trunk pinstriping decals from spares box

• Like 5

Hi Phil!

Verrrrry nice, it looks the part! I remember that rod vividly. Tom McMullen also had a Dodge D100 open-box hot-rodded truck for a while. It made the rounds of mag covers, but never as much as your roadster. The man seemingly had all the toys: Deuce roadster, Trucks, AEE choppers...

Bravo!

CT

Phil, man-o-man, that’s BITCHIN’! While you may not have been able to pull off the flames and pinstripes exactly the McMullen Roadster is still the first thing that comes to mind. Anyone who knows that iconic car will think the same. And, accurate or not it’s still a killer hot rod! 😍

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 1

Hi Phil!!  I was not familiar with the 1:1 car until your build. It turned fantastic, and is definitely a worthy tribute to the original. Look forward to seeing it in person soon, and on the tables at Duece Days In Scale in July.

Cheers, Steve

16 hours ago, cobraman said:

I love that car and your model looks great !

Thanks Ray

16 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Phil!

Verrrrry nice, it looks the part! I remember that rod vividly. Tom McMullen also had a Dodge D100 open-box hot-rodded truck for a while. It made the rounds of mag covers, but never as much as your roadster. The man seemingly had all the toys: Deuce roadster, Trucks, AEE choppers...

Bravo!

CT

Thanks Claude - I checked out images on-line of the D100. Very cool. You should build a model of that truck.

16 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Phil, man-o-man, that’s BITCHIN’! While you may not have been able to pull off the flames and pinstripes exactly the McMullen Roadster is still the first thing that comes to mind. Anyone who knows that iconic car will think the same. And, accurate or not it’s still a killer hot rod! 😍

Thanks Dennis - Once I got over the disappoint of not been able to more accurately pull off the flames and pinstriping I am very pleased with how the model turned out.

16 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice deuce!

Thanks Larry

14 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Phil!!  I was not familiar with the 1:1 car until your build. It turned fantastic, and is definitely a worthy tribute to the original. Look forward to seeing it in person soon, and on the tables at Duece Days In Scale in July.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve - I hope to finish off one more 32 before Deuce Days in Scale

11 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

Phil a good effort. I have looked at modelling this in the past and have been intimidated by the flames and the pin striping but you have nailed it - kool. I seem to remember a pix with it pulling a drag chute - must look it out. 

Thanks Bill - See below for a drag chute photo. The McMullen Roadster was also on a record album cover with a drag chute. I think the car was then powered by a 427 Ford and had revised rear suspension. It may have even been the second version McMullen built.

4 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!!

Thanks Chris

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Nice old school hot rod!👍

Thanks Greg - I found the back dating to old school was the most interesting part of this build

2 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Looks darn good to me.  Excellent job.

Thanks Jimda0914-193797_1.jpg.1c4d21fd38a0b914dcc2b08395f7e727.jpg097-tom-mcmullen-roadster-parachute.jpg.d10e7a15c145f458620b469744d74892.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho

2 hours ago, espo said:

Exceptional details and finishes throughout. Best appreciated after reading all of the components that you used. 

Thanks David - The McMullen Hi-Boy was featured in Rodder's Journal which used the same format to list all the components of the car so I wanted to do the same.