Model Cars Magazine Forum

|- Another Adhesive BMF Amphiviate -|

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Bro, that's not even a real word. Burroughs was high when he wrote Naked Lunch.  You're not getting any points with that if we play Scrabble. :D

I'm well aware of Burroughs' creative licence and his well chronicled forays into , shall we say, Poppy acetate extracts. 

I used Quone in Scrabble one time, much to the chagrin of my then-girlfriend (a real grammar nazi if ever one existed). She refused my Seinfeld reference 🤣

• Haha 1

Sorry, but I had to stop watching at the point when he said that BMF "doesn't really withstand the test of time".

That right there tells me that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

He should probably stick to what he knows best.......whatever that is, and leave the building to the people that know what they're doing.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Sorry, but I had to stop watching at the point when he said that BMF "doesn't really withstand the test of time".

That right there tells me that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

No kidding.  I have no idea what that phrase means. I built this "BMF" '57 Chevy Bel Air back in early '90s (30 years ago) and this photo was taken in 2020. Looks the same as the day I finished it.  What is supposed to happen with the BMF?  Should it just disintegrate?

Gunze57ChevyBelAirFront.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peteski said:

No kidding.  I have no idea what that phrase means. I built this "BMF" '57 Chevy Bel Air back in early '90s (30 years ago) and this photo was taken in 2020. Looks the same as the day I finished it.  What is supposed to happen with the BMF?  Should it just disintegrate?

Gunze57ChevyBelAirFront.jpg

I don’t have any problem with these sort of “new product” videos that some of these guys do.

They serve a useful purpose.

But I don’t think it’s helpful in the least when they make these sort of blanket statements about a product that they obviously don’t have much real long term experience with.

A quarter of a windshield frame thrown in a box for four years is not exactly an objective assessment of the product’s long term viability.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I don’t have any problem with these sort of “new product” videos that some of these guys do.

They serve a useful purpose.

But I don’t think it’s helpful in the least when they make these sort of blanket statements about a product that they obviously don’t have much real long term experience with.

A quarter of a windshield frame thrown in a box for four years is not exactly an objective assessment of the product’s long term viability.

Steve

That was my thought, too. I only watched the video because of the new product presentation and test, then summarily dismissed the rest.

10 hours ago, peteski said:

.. I have no idea what that phrase means. I built this "BMF" '57 Chevy Bel Air back in early '90s (30 years ago) and this photo was taken in 2020. Looks the same as the day I finished it.  ..

Ditto. I build this Diamond Reo in the summer of 1980, nearly 42 years ago (pardon the dust), took this photo a few minutes ago. BMF'd over the putty dome-created air horn snow caps, primered balsa wood grille shell, and plastic sheet/cardboard strips bumper. No cracking, no yellowing, no deterioration otherwise. If I'd had better skills back then for making the surfaces smoother, that's where the improvement to the shine could be found. Probably just a bit of polishing with Simichrome polish would bring back the brilliance, since those items haven't been cleaned in any way all this time.

D-Reo.jpg.d4999f1b969fe1a73c548a2db90330ce.jpg

Edited by Russell C