Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Ford glue bomb restoration

dino246gt

I wanted rubber, not chrome around the windows, so I masked,

AND airbrushed Tamiya acrylic rubber thinned 50/50.

Then I brushed acrylics to the headliner and around the windows inside. (this is the car upside down looking in)

I made a dome light with a '32 Ford kit's chrome mirror and a piece of the clear throw-away things.

I reshaped the windshield for somewhat of a sunvisor look inside. (actually turned out pretty good once painted.

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_E3268.JPG

IMG_3270_LI.jpg

IMG_3271.JPG

The rims I had, well the fronts were damaged from sprue removal, so I'm using those as the rears, I can glue them with the damage up, hidden by the body.

Won't matter that the fronts are in back and vise versa because I'm using hub caps, but I did have to switch the back halves of the rims.

I sanded where the halves meet so the rims fit deeper into the tires, I like that look.

I found some cool old Firestone tires in the parts box which I cleaned up and used.

Drilled for valve stems, I use the same .030 ignition wire for these, a bit over size, but still cool to my eye, also did a black wash to highlight those 4 slots on the rims.

IMG_3285.JPG

IMG_3287.JPG

IMG_3288.JPG

Edited by dino246gt
spelling

The bumpers were also in poor shape, as usual the wrap-around corners need sanding.

I foiled all 4 sanded corners.

Of course I got little wrinkles where I tried to wrap the foil, but I think it's less of a "flaw" than the huge mold lines from the kit.

After I install them, I'll polish the foil with Novus 2 for a better shine.

IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

IMG_3296.JPG

Edited by dino246gt
  • Like 1

I drilled out the old battery and added some simple detail to the heater motor.

I glued photo-etch cable ends to a strip of .020 styrene then drilled and filed the styrene to follow the shape of the photo-etched parts.

I added a center post, red wire and flat ground cable, then painted some .030 styrene rod with ends painted yellow for caps. Logo is just printed on a piece of plain paper.

Here's the battery assembled and the heater motor.

I also made up some "stuff" to put on the firewall, just scraps and sprue.

IMG_E3351.JPG

IMG_E3352.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_E3354.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

• Like 1

Here's how all that stuff looks installed:

Remember I didn't have a kit, so a lot of this is made from scraps, and what the glue bomb had attached.

Do NOT have the trunk chrome handle, but I think I can trade for one with Jerry G.

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG

IMG_3372.JPG

Edited by dino246gt
  • Like 1