Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ferrari Pontoon Fender TR250

This is an older 1/43rd scale kit from late 1980 or sometime in 1981.  I know the date because I have a personal attachment to this kit for a few reasons. 

Primarily because I cast all the white metal parts in this kit when I was the head caster at Precision Miniatures back then.  The parts were mastered and the molds were made by Lloyd Asbury.  The box art was drawn by my late friend Dale King.

wmzDqHf.jpg

The decals were drawn by my father, Lloyd S. Jones of Scale-Master Decals.  These look a bit rough due to their age of 42 years, but this will be built as an alternate version so I only need a few of the ones on this sheet.

MZ9DFbc.jpg

This is the raw body (and chassis) casting straight out of the box.  It's pretty clean even compared to more modern kits, but still requiring some clean-up. 

Interestingly, to mold the front grille opening as part of the body (instead of a separate piece), they were spin cast in a unique three part mold.  (Actually four parts since each mold made two bodies.)  A separate plug for each body had to be sandwiched between the main halves and carefully extracted from the metal body after each cast.  Lloyd was quite the innovator… 

824gCfp.jpg

TxGc54m.jpg

The rest of the parts include PE wire wheels, semi-soft tires, vacuum formed windshield and headlight covers, chrome parts and a good amount individual parts for decent detail of the time.  

XjChzzN.jpg

• Like 2

The Wildcat, (and Coyote, McLaren and Eagle) were being cast by PM in the late '70s  before I started working there. 

The Eagle was originally done by IMRA but had different decals, and the others share some parts.   

But I cast more than I could count of all of them during my time there.

My Wildcat has a label, but no picture.  Maybe it's faded off?

c52ihrV.jpg

My McLaren doesn't even have a label.

YOltk8T.jpg

tSRLE2N.jpg

MqhLPQ3.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

This is so exciting to see.  Back in the 80's when I first started building 1:43 kits PM was a main stay for me.  I built the Ferrari you are building, the Porsche Speedster, and the Shelby GT350.  I think I still have them all but are a little worse for wear.  

• Like 1

The tires are injection molded and the ones in this kit had a shift that left a good sized mismatch.   

7RHZi8l.jpg

Rather than totally obliterate the tread to sand out the offset, I pulled a set from my private stock and replaced them.

The PE spokes for the wire wheels are very delicate, but not really that difficult to assemble if you use a light touch. 

Turns out the real car does not have tire lettering so the kit provided Englebert decals were not needed.

NoUQ77U.jpg

The seats were used to align the transmission tunnel and side panels but they were not cemented in at this time. 

VIjyybl.jpg

From the provided reference this car has an all black interior (except for the red seats) as opposed to the bare metal areas some had.  I sprayed the chassis, tunnel and side panels satin black to start.

The floor and front section of the tunnel were brush painted flat black.

pYnjbyp.jpg