Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 32 Ford Roadster REVISED (former Rat Roaster tool)

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

The Model A beam axle is actually up to 7mm wider than the 32 Ford tube axle from hub to hub depending on how the brakes are mounted whether disc or drum as can be seen in the photo. I have used the Model A axle on two Deuce builds and in both cases had to make sure the rear axle was of the appropriate width.IMG_0012.jpg.f3e024b1d40f9cc675afb77b3916d2b0.jpg

Yeah, I measured them and the beam axle is five scale inches wider. As far as asthetics, I like the tube axle better. To me, the beam axle is rather clunky looking compared to the tube axle. Notice how much space there is between the spring and axle on the beam axle. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 6:04 PM, Plowboy said:

I'm probably the only one that doesn't like the Duvall windshield. But, I just use them for parts. So, that doesn't matter.  

I don't care for them either, if they want to give us some vintage style bits then I want to vote for an Auburn instrument panel and gauges of the same era, and maybe an early Ford axle housing style quick change and a chassis with buggy springs instead of the airbags in this instance.

4 hours ago, horsepower said:

I don't care for them either, if they want to give us some vintage style bits then I want to vote for an Auburn instrument panel and gauges of the same era, and maybe an early Ford axle housing style quick change and a chassis with buggy springs instead of the airbags in this instance.

An Auburn instrument panel was among the original content proposal for the Revell '30A Coupe hot rod proposal; don't know why it didn't make the final cut.   

And agree, I think we'd all like to see the transverse leaf spring and Halibrand rear in updates of any of Revell's hot rod kits.  Unfortunately, that would represent a major tear-up of the existing tooling (especially the frame) that would go way beyond Revell's authorized budget to redo/update/individualize the Rat Roaster tooling.  Never hurts, though, to keep asking.   And that's what we should do.  

As background, when Roger Harney passed away unexpectedly, Revell lost their only real hot-rod-aware influence in their management team.  They've turned to asking some hobbyists with a knowledge of that 1/1 scale segment/genre for advice/input, but that's not the same as having a very senior member in the organization actively involved in those decisions, which is what Roger was.  

Bottom line (in my view), the new reissue is a good step in the right direction, but I think most of us agree that under ideal conditions (more tooling money and more time) it could have gone further.  And Del's comments are in line with what I think most of us would have liked to see if that were possible. 

TB  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, horsepower said:

I want to vote for an Auburn instrument panel and gauges of the same era, and maybe an early Ford axle housing style quick change and a chassis with buggy springs ...

Yup...

32rdstint.jpg.fb9f9f7959373396fb105402e1bc4f1f.jpg

32rdstfrm.jpg.4f167359c972ff6a078b651e6a90d1c0.jpg

• Like 1

doane.jpg

Soooo, where do we get some of those big and little vintage tires? I've got a couple of the old 'Firestone Gum Dipped' skins here but I'm gonna need more B)

be nice to see some sets in a parts pack.

...upon closer inspection, these 'stones are actually Darlingtons; not quite what I'd hoped, but maybe close enough in a pinch...

DSCN0551.JPG.d7aa6bb795ca07b71503b259a1ec40e3.JPG

Edited by mk11
  • Like 3

For anyone who wants a quick change style rear end check out this product. It's designed for the Revell 29/30 kits but can probably be made to work on the 32 pretty easily. The designer, Spex, a member here, might also be persuaded to make a 32 specific version.

QC_V1-vi.jpg.8449602fb9fa810b1d14bb24df793efa.jpg20220421_222002.jpg.12190bb426c8fd6d8f988ab4e19ddf17.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/19/2022 at 1:58 AM, horsepower said:

For what it's worth, at one time Replicas & Miniatures was carrying an Auburn panel (RH-508) designed for the '32 roadster. I don't see it listed in their latest catalog, but there is a "dash w/ 3 & 5 hole panel" (RH-507).

9 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

For anyone who wants a quick change style rear end check out this product. It's designed for the Revell 29/30 kits but can probably be made to work on the 32 pretty easily. The designer, Spex, a member here, might also be persuaded to make a 32 specific version.

I have a Shapeways order coming that has one of these QC's in it. Chris @Spex84 designs some killer stuff, so those of you into hot rodding should definitely check his stuff out.

Brian, on another forum I have also suggested to Chris he should develop a similar setup for the Revell 32's, especially with this kit coming back. Fitting it to the Revell 32 would take a little more work by the builder than the frame from the model A kits since the floor is molded in. But I think that's a modification even a novice builder should be able to handle.

9 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

For what it's worth, at one time Replicas & Miniatures was carrying an Auburn panel (RH-508) designed for the '32 roadster. I don't see it listed in their latest catalog, but there is a "dash w/ 3 & 5 hole panel" (RH-507).

The Replicas & Miniatures Auburn dash was definitely a great addition for a roadster.

2v2Ups9JnximYT.jpg

• Like 5

Come to think of it, if you want traditional, but don't necessarily want a quick change, Revell's '48 Ford Custom would give you nearly all the parts for a traditional roadster conversion.  Dropped beam axle up front, banjo rear with leaf spring and crossmember in the back, drum brakes all around, steel wheels, and a flathead V-8 complete with vintage speed parts.   There's even a period perfect steering wheel.

Edited by Richard Bartrop
  • Like 1

I had not thought of that swap, Richard, but it sure sounds good.

I am currently working on putting the Ardun Flathead from the '50 Ford P/U in the Revell '32 Roadster.  I plan on just using the Kit's Axles, but Maybe I'll  look for a '48 to rob parts from too.

Thanks for the idea!

:)

I'm very excited by this release and delighted with the changes made to the Rat Roaster tool.  Like everyone else, I kinda wish they'd gone further towards making it 100% traditional but I understand the limitations the kit designers were working with.

I could definitely be convinced to offer a 3D printed QC that fits the Revell frame, but in the meantime, Craig, you inspired me to stab the 3D printed QC setup into a Revell frame...and it works out pretty much as you described!

I removed the kit crossmember by scoring with the back of a knife blade and dropped in the 3D printed QC and crossmember combo. Once the upper shock mounts are resting against the floor, kit-stock ride height is achieved! Easy peasy.

Two small problems: the crossmember was designed for the narrower Revell '29/30 frames (so there's a gap on each side) and placing the axle in exactly the right location pushes the QC right up against the gas tank, so if it were a real car there'd be no room for suspension articulation.

Solutions: just add 2mm spacers to each side, and if you really want to be trad, notch the gas tank for the quick-change.

*Edit: I should mention, this is for a '32 roadster build inspired by the Kessler roadster. I was going to just put the Revell 9-inch in it, but...now it will get a QC!

https://public.fotki.com/LOUD-PEDAL/1932-fords/famous-1932-fords/75-years-of-the-32-ford-/gary-kesslers-roadster/gary-kesslers-clone-10.html

QC_inRev32Frame_sm.jpg.6320c86feeba3191e2637dc6d65ddee0.jpg

Edited by Spex84
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Spex84 said:

I'm very excited by this release and delighted with the changes made to the Rat Roaster tool.  Like everyone else, I kinda wish they'd gone further towards making it 100% traditional but I understand the limitations the kit designers were working with.

I could definitely be convinced to offer a 3D printed QC that fits the Revell frame, but in the meantime, Craig, you inspired me to stab the 3D printed QC setup into a Revell frame...and it works out pretty much as you described!

I removed the kit crossmember by scoring with the back of a knife blade and dropped in the 3D printed QC and crossmember combo. Once the upper shock mounts are resting against the floor, kit-stock ride height is achieved! Easy peasy.

Two small problems: the crossmember was designed for the narrower Revell '29/30 frames (so there's a gap on each side) and placing the axle in exactly the right location pushes the QC right up against the gas tank, so if it were a real car there'd be no room for suspension articulation.

Solutions: just add 2mm spacers to each side, and if you really want to be trad, notch the gas tank for the quick-change.

*Edit: I should mention, this is for a '32 roadster build inspired by the Kessler roadster. I was going to just put the Revell 9-inch in it, but...now it will get a QC!

https://public.fotki.com/LOUD-PEDAL/1932-fords/famous-1932-fords/75-years-of-the-32-ford-/gary-kesslers-roadster/gary-kesslers-clone-10.html

QC_inRev32Frame_sm.jpg.6320c86feeba3191e2637dc6d65ddee0.jpg

Very cool, I just got two of these in the mail Thursday, I might need a few more.

On 4/11/2022 at 1:10 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Now that Revell has shared official boxart and promotional materials for this kit (including a test shot) at the 2022 Milwaukee NNL I think it's time for this kit to get it's own thread

revell-1932-ford-rat-roadster-14524-712-800x600px.jpg

New parts:

Duvall style windshield

Lakes style exhaust

Traditional roll and pleat style interior

Stock style hood top

image.png.eca2c8fb36acbe2e21d23fc931b1a62e.png

Looks like the "old" hood on the slightly wider Rat Roaster body.

Edited by Johnny99
Missed word

• 1 month later...

I suspect Revell may not even know…if these are on the water they’re likely at the mercy of the still-messed-up global logistics situation and may not have a firm dock-date for whatever ship they’re on.  Assuming they’re even ON a ship - may not even be in production yet.  

I wouldn’t get super excited just yet (but I’d love to be wrong)…

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mrm said:

So, this question was asked a month and a half ago and still no answer?!

It's listed in this thread as one of the 3rd Quarter releases. However i don't know if that is officially from Revell or not

Like Jim said above, the ports between the US and China are still twisted up with backlogs of ships, so that's probably why they haven't officially announced the date yet?

• Like 1