Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 32 Ford Roadster REVISED (former Rat Roaster tool)

Thanks for the pics! Much appreciated. Glad to see the chopped stock-style windshield included. Hard to see if the cowl indentations for the old windshield are filled in the photo, or indeed if the cowl has been otherwise reworked for the DuVall. The problem with the DuVall windshield is, of course, that it is highly stylized and specific, making it harder to make non-DuVall variants. But the Stacey David Rat Roaster was even worse in this regard with that horror-show perforated hood and the over-the-top stylized interior (both of which appear to have survived along with the guitar, the ribbon-mic shift lever, the chrome portholes and the Rat Roaster exhaust system - so for you Rat Roaster die-hards you probably can still build one from this kit...). Including the bucket seats is nice though. The new classic-style bench seat and interior sides, which are on their own new tree, (ditto the DuVall and the new exhausts) will help keep this kit closer to the great general purpose classic the original Street Roadster kit was. The cassette player and air-conditioning vents in the original release dashboard appear to be well and truly gone at last, LOL. Now if we could only do something about those airbags... And it looks like there will be a potential market for re-pops of the unchopped windshield and the old louvered hood sides...

Edited by Bernard Kron
  • Like 1

I didn't look that closely at the old parts, I was focused on the new parts. But as Bernard noted above, it appears you can still build the RR out of this kit. Looking over the trees quick it doesn't appear as they deleted anything, just added new trees, which is highly appreciated. Thanks Revell!

Can't wait to get several of this one in my hands, being a 32 Ford fiend.

6 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I didn't look that closely at the old parts, I was focused on the new parts. But as Bernard noted above, it appears you can still build the RR out of this kit. Looking over the trees quick it doesn't appear as they deleted anything, just added new trees, which is highly appreciated. Thanks Revell!

Craig...that is largely my take as well.  I think the only thing that would prevent building the original version is the changes to the cowl to accommodate the new windshields, and whether the old hood with the silly vents is still in the new kit box.... and of course, the decals.   Also, I thought the tires were carryover....maybe I need to look a little more closely as I only got a quick glimpse of the new kit myself...TB

34 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Craig...that is largely my take as well.  I think the only thing that would prevent building the original version is the changes to the cowl to accommodate the new windshields, and whether the old hood with the silly vents is still in the new kit box.... and of course, the decals.   Also, I thought the tires were carryover....maybe I need to look a little more closely as I only got a quick glimpse of the new kit myself...TB

Got my kit today and while the old windshield frame is still on the parts tree, the windshield itself is deleted from the clear tree.

the rest of your comments Tim, I still have to check.

15 hours ago, tim boyd said:

14 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Got my kit today and while the old windshield frame is still on the parts tree, the windshield itself is deleted from the clear tree.

the rest of your comments Tim, I still have to check.

They appear to have replaced the "buick porthole" hood with the new stock style one. Odd that's the only part they decided to replace on all the tooling, leaving the rest of the RR parts as extras. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, especially about the chopped windshield still being included (I can use acetate for the glass). I always appreciate extra parts, especially when they're cool ones.

image.png.3171a82822d0cefc230fc67583c00223.png

On 9/14/2022 at 10:48 PM, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Fun to learn about Duvall windshields. This is the first time I've heard of them. This is maybe similar to naming a car component after a person named Carson as in the custom tops. Maybe there are more examples?

There's also the Hallock windshield, kinda similar but very different, that lotsa folks mistakenly call a "Duvall" too.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/1131rc-hallock-windshield-history/

Sellers Equipped Hallock Window - Kustomrama

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kit Karson said:

Well, that about clears the air on the "the old hood with the silly vents" as they "have replaced the "Buick porthole" hood with the new stock style one"...

20220916_101932.thumb.jpg.2d0319a9e997317c6f2f1cde840f0053.jpg

I know a few very disappointed builders out there right now!  Me Included... -KK

Oooppppsss....never considered that very valid POV.....TB

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

There's also the Hallock windshield, kinda similar but very different, that lotsa folks mistakenly call a "Duvall" too.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/1131rc-hallock-windshield-history/

Sellers Equipped Hallock Window - Kustomrama

Norm at Replicas and Miniatures was doing a Hallock-inspired windshield for Model A bodies; don't know if that is still in his catalog.  His included the top window frame area.  I used in for this project....TB 

DSC 0427

DSC 0431

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

I hugely dislike that the nicely molded separate electric fan piece was replaced with whatever THAT is on the radiator! I like the new transmission molding, but no separate oil pan? But those are small complaints about what generally is a very good looking kit in my eyes. 

Justin, completely agree on the oil pan.  There is a separate radiator shroud that fits over the radiator/electric fan piece.  Painted and assembled, it totally looks the part.   

And FWIW, based on my initial impression I completely agree with your take on the kit in total.  I think there are a lot of hot rod builders out there who rejected the Stacey David design elements and who will want to build this "unadorned" version of the kit.  And the overall chassis assembly, while based on the 1996-97 deuce hot rod tool, has some very nice enhancements and detail vs. the earlier effort.  Now if we could just get rid of that blasted SBC (smile)....

TB  

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

Have owned the Stacy David since it first was released. Found a perfect normal non porthole hood and carb velocity stacks to replace the decorator vase looking intakes. All that and paint TBT other than sparkling green and I'm ready to go. 

Intrigued by the Duvall windshield on this upcoming kit.

8 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

I like the new transmission molding. 

It's the same transmission as before in the Rat Roaster. 

To me, the cowl should should have a recess for the Duvall windshield to fit into like the AMT Phantom Vickie kit does. The way it is, it could make getting the windshield located a bit tricky. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 8:42 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

The Yenko has a beam axle? :blink:

Yeah yeah. 🙂

Think it's pretty clear I was coming more from the angle of a revised reissue bringing a kit closer to what it should have been in the first place, but I did leave a pet hatch's worth of ambiguity open, didn't I?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Plowboy said:

It's the same transmission as before in the Rat Roaster. 

To me, the cowl should should have a recess for the Duvall windshield to fit into like the AMT Phantom Vickie kit does. The way it is, it could make getting the windshield located a bit tricky. 

There is a subtle etched marking in the cowl to guide alignment of the DuVal w/s frame....TB