Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Jaguar 420

4 hours ago, David G. said:

Nice work on this so far. The color you chose really reinforces the elegance of the car.

David G.

Thanks David, and the build is already in the ' Under Glass ' section as a completed build !

The Opalescent Silver Blue seems to suit this Jaguar really well.

David W.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 6:07 AM, Anglia105E said:

Well Peter . . . I am pleased to hear that my build of the Jaguar 420 inspired you to tackle this one. My kit did have issues, which included the front end sink marks and also one lower side edge ( sill ) was a bit messy ( left hand side or nearside as we say in England ). The distortion was not as bad as yours on my kit. I would recommend that you try contacting Hornby, because I found them to be very helpful . . . They call themselves ' Airfix Spares Team ', which comes under Hornby, and they were very quick to respond. In fact, they sent a missing part to me in the post, which never arrived due to our random postal service, and the Airfix people even sent me the part a second time and free of charge, which I did receive.

I did contact Airfix/Hornby (through he website), but I wasn't as successful as you were. Here is the response I received from them:

Dear sir
I would like to apologise for the delay in responding. We have been trying to get stock but unfortunately without success; I am sorry that we are currently unable to be of assistance as we do not currently have any available stock of the item that you have requested.

However, this part may become available so could I please request that you contact us again later in the year and we will endeavour to look again for you.

Alternatively see place of purchase. 

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused

Kind regards
Airfix Spares Team

I'll have to try the hot water fix.

I can remember building one of those back in the day. Seem to remember using chrome Sellotape that only seems to get sold before Christmas, sticking it to some thin card and using a circular punch to make reflective discs to go behind the headlamp lenses. Back in the late sixties early seventies when I used to play in a local football team, some of us used to pile into a Mark 10 that one of the players had at the time. Quite luxurious!

On 5/17/2022 at 6:32 AM, peteski said:

I did contact Airfix/Hornby (through he website), but I wasn't as successful as you were. Here is the response I received from them:

Dear sir
I would like to apologise for the delay in responding. We have been trying to get stock but unfortunately without success; I am sorry that we are currently unable to be of assistance as we do not currently have any available stock of the item that you have requested.

However, this part may become available so could I please request that you contact us again later in the year and we will endeavour to look again for you.

Alternatively see place of purchase. 

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused

Kind regards
Airfix Spares Team

I'll have to try the hot water fix.

Sorry for the late response, Peter . . . I have been away on holiday for nearly 3 weeks. I am surprised that the Airfix Spares Team were not able to send you a replacement body shell for the Jaguar 420, and I hope your hot water fix is successful !  Good luck !

David