Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 68'CAMARO RS/SS

kelson

Just a small update for today,body in primer,unfortunately the side marker lights were already sanded off but i can make copies.i sanded off the door handles and keyholes,i will use photoetch and a extra pair of 69'nova door handles to replace,1st time using MR.Hobby primer and i'm really impressed,hopefully color coats tomorrow.🤠IMG_3562.thumb.JPG.937d9ec2a05dc493586f0f147093c99c.JPGIMG_3563.thumb.JPG.faa1cb8dd19658b588574682eba8f932.JPGIMG_3564.thumb.JPG.6855df82d86c5b0a59b61b4b6b18f8ce.JPGIMG_3565.thumb.JPG.ed2c7b1177a11fe4bac41bd50aa60446.JPG

• Like 1

Is this the '68 tooling now sold as the AMT '68, or did both companies do '68 Camaros? I don't recall ever seeing this version, either. This has become one of my favorite pieces of box art! This is the sort of thing that would have made me as a kid WANT this kit! This has that "coooool" factor in large doses, and does so simply. Excellent rendering; the artist is to be commended.

Edited by bisc63
added info
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Is this the '68 tooling now sold as the AMT '68, or did both companies do '68 Camaros? I don't recall ever seeing this version, either. This has become one of my favorite pieces of box art! This is the sort of thing that would have made me as a kid WANT this kit! This has that "coooool" factor in large doses, and does so simply. Excellent rendering; the artist is to be commended.

I don't believe it is,i think AMT's 68 came out in the 80's and they don't appear to share any parts.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks good. I've definitely seen Camaros in that color!

Decided on interior color yet?

I will probably just go with black,since the car i'm copying looks to have a black interior.

• Like 2

Okay,so clearcoats were applied,but unfortunately i color sanded to much and left streaks in the paint and when i clearcoated they really show🙁.I used a old Fred Cady decal sheet and don't have another,So i'll try Keith Marks again and see if i get a reply back.IMG_3604.thumb.JPG.0be6475b284c77674e0d728f5352438f.JPGIMG_E3605.thumb.JPG.085bd7af674acb4350ad4b4658ad86af.JPGIMG_3603.thumb.JPG.c2767655ea7a7fb94af73a37dbcaadc6.JPG 

• Like 3

Really loving this build. Very cool subdued color, this model is going to look very good with a black interior. It dawned on me the other day just how rare this kit is and why I've never seen one; it can't be re-released! MPC destroyed the tooling for their '68 turning it (poorly) into a '69. They should have left well enough alone!

• Like 1

Interesting. I've heard many comment on this very forum about how the MPC 68 tool was modified to make their '69, and they did so by adding the swooping lines from the tops of the wheel openings, but they failed to change the shape/height of the openings, thus giving their '69s odd proportions viewed from the side. I'm sure there were other gaffs as well. The question now is which of these travesties came first? Super-stocker or "69"?! Either way, we lost a cool '68.  Maybe the Camaro kit gurus will chime in...calling Mr. Snake, Mr. Mark...