Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Shelby Gasser

afx

6 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Wow that longnose looks pristine !  Your work on the Gasser is looking great , I really like the torsion spring front !

Thanks Bob.

I've gotten the chassis disassembled but haven't started stripping it yet, hope it comes out as well as the body.

I promised to post info on how I did the front suspension - will do as soon as I can get photos together.

I see you get distracted like me.  I often break for restoration projects, or the "what does this look like after I soak it in the tub of purple stuff" addiction.

DSCF4622.JPG.a260822107841064bc3fb77a42570d18.JPG

I cleaned up and polished the paint on an already built one a friend provided.

Edited by mvadrag
added picture
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MADmodelDOCTOR said:

i built one of these Gas Ronda mustangs way, way back.......Testors competition orange, about a whole can of Glos-Cote. Great work on the gasser!

Thanks Kenneth.

8 hours ago, mvadrag said:

I see you get distracted like me.  I often break for restoration projects, or the "what does this look like after I soak it in the tub of purple stuff" addiction.

I cleaned up and polished the paint on an already built one a friend provided.

Nice work Jose.  I was able to get the longnose build on ebay for what I thought was a good price.

Torsion spring front suspension:

65afx hmart05-vi1515883059473-vi

Here is my version, as you can see from the photos above there is room for more detail than I chose to replicate if you wish:

• Remove the control arm bracing and torsion bar mounts from the front of the chassis leaving a short section in-place at the front
  • I added shims (spacers) to the lower side of the upper A arm this raises the ride height of the front suspension
  • I added a similar thickness shim at the mounting point of the lower A arms to the frame
  • the white plastic chassis is stock from the kit

DSCN8284

• Remove the torsion bar and control arms from the stock suspension

DSCN8286

• glue the torsion springs to the upper surface of the lower control arm
  • the springs should have a slight twist
  • The 1:1 suspension uses 2-leaf springs per side.  I chose to represent the springs with a single strip of .020" (0.5mm) in lieu of two strips of .010 (0.25mm) for simplicity
  • add mounting detail to the front and rear attachment points of the springs as you see fit

DSCN8289

• my finished version

DSCN8291DSCN8293

Edited by afx
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...