Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 pro mod camaro

comp1839

i'm finding some time and motivation to work get back to my 1/8 pro mod camaro build (although now, it would probably be a top sportsman car).  it's been over 10 yrs. since i started it so. i'm rusty and i'm old. put in a bunch of new tubing although there is still more needed.  making a bunch of the necessary parts in the back round.  we'll see how this goes.  here's where we're at now. 

DSCN0443.JPG

DSCN0442.JPG

• Like 7

I dont want to derail this build, because I am in awe of you guys who do these super detailed builds. But how do you all get the solder joints to stay so close together? I have attempted a few small brass bar joints and its fine, until I get bars or parts really close together, then everything just falls out. Is it the resin making a eat bridge? Or do you guys make fixtures for every joint that needs it? Is there a thread here with details on how to pull this off? I tried a fixture, and some of those manipulator arms to hold things, and it never hold it exact. I also tried heatsinks. 

WOW Dave, this is great!  Tim (Codi) has always mentioned your skills in his threads and we can see his words with this outstanding project.  I'm not familiar with 1/8 scale, are you going to use the Monogram '82 Z/28 Camaro body or are you going to build your own?  Like birds with open beaks we always want more...  Brass, aluminum and drag cars are my favorite ingredients, I will definitely be back for a visit!

4 days later and "got some more stuff done. bunch of interior panels, radiator and mount. fuel tank mount and fuel tank. belly pans, nitrous and fire bottles."      Sheesh Dave, you're going to keep me off the bench so I can stop and look at all the cool things you're doing in no time at all...............nice to see you still "got it"..     cheers, tim

Dwayne, best i can tell you is to practice. everyone here has learned their own way of doing this. good luck!!!

Ron, thanks!

Francis, Tim has far exceeded my talents. he is a literal "phenomenon".  as far as the body, i paid a gentleman in S.A. the do a 3-d rendering and then handed it over to TDR. the 69pro mod camaro they sell came from that venture. some. $1100 later i had a 1/8 scale '69 camaro body in hand. that's the body i'll be using. 

Tim, thanks buddy, you have kept me wanting to get back to this project......thanks!!!!

Claude thanks!

Ian, this project hasn't been a WIP for 10 yrs. it was literally dead for 10 yrs!!! (hehe) i just finally said, i have to finish this. i'll post some of the previous build stuff. if you have questions... just ask.

Awesome work.  Outstanding detail work for such a large scale.  My guess is that 1/8th scale is very unforgiving so to have such accurate attention to detail as you are displaying in this scale is truly a testament to your talent.

2 hours ago, gasser59 said:

The teacher has returned from the break room and class will now resume. So glad you're back Dave and it appears you haven't missed a beat and your working at an incredible pace. Keep it going, I'm in the front row with my notebook.

He hasn't stopped teaching...:) He's the single most reason the Chevelle is in redo mode!

Nice to see ya back in here Dave!

Ron, thanks.  you've pretty much summed up my perceptions on large scale. i think if it's even a little out of scale you'll see it.

Brad, thanks. some of you have seemed to move the goal posts further up than before. i'll have a lot of catching up to do. 

Paul, thanks buddy.  always there if you need .  can't wait to see that chevelle done.....it's incredible so far!!!!

Dave, thanks.

i promised to give some earlier shots of the camaro's build. if you want more details on any thing ...just ask.

one of the parts i enjoy the most is doing the wheels. fronts are 15x3.5 spindle mounts and  were black anodized and then machined. talk about pressure. zero room for error here. then the were the back wheels 16x16 double bead locks.  i'm hoping the effort shows through. 

DSCN5051.JPG

DSCN5054.JPG

Edited by comp1839
  • Like 1