Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1969 Buick Riviera

AMT68

On 4/13/2022 at 8:14 PM, TransAmMike said:

Wow Tom, thats just beee-utiful👌

On 4/13/2022 at 8:20 PM, cobraman said:

That is a beauty !

23 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

That is one slick looking Riv!👍 Very nicely done sir!

22 hours ago, Zippi said:

That's a Looker you got there Tom.  That is a rich looking red.  Very well done.

Thank you for your comments, Mike, Ray, Greg, and Bob. 

22 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Excellent color choice for that body. That is a clean, beautiful model! Well done.

22 hours ago, charger74 said:

It looks very good 

21 hours ago, Hmann68 said:

Beautiful Riv! Fantastic color and cleanly done!! 👍👍

21 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Super nice, beautiful colour!

Thank you Rusty, Eric, Christopher, and Harry. I took a liking right away to this color and purchased another can. 

21 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Wow, a showroom stopper. Great color choice and a flawless paint job.

21 hours ago, Kah puts said:

Maximum wow!

19 hours ago, Doug 1061 said:

You batted that one right outta the park.  Beautiful work all around.

16 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

Thanks, Mario, Glen, Doug and Chris.  I did find a couple small areas of orange peel after I took the photos and went back and carefully polished them out. 

13 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

WOW Perfection!

12 hours ago, Tom99 said:

12 hours ago, Jim B said:

Looks fantastic.  Really well done.

11 hours ago, Peter Lombardo said:

It would be very hard to find any fault with this one, beautiful build.  I like it a lot. 

Thank you Chaz, Tom, James and Peter. I spent a good deal of time with all of the detailing. There's a few areas that could be better upon close inspection but overall I'm content with this one. 

12 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tom!

What a looker, bravo!

Can you comment on your use of the green label Rustoleum Clear? I'm curious as to how well it flashes, endures multiple coats stacking, and polishes... Your technique obviously works very well!

CT 

Thanks Claude. I find this Rust-Oleum clear is very durable and holds up very well to wet sanding. This is one of several models I painted last fall prior to the winter cold and depending on the amount of clear applied I was able to drop back to 1500 grit wet/dry without burning through the finish. I found that light coats were important in order to not "smear" the metallic particles and not more than 2-3 coats in one day. My technique is a constant work in progress since no matter what clear I use I end up with a good deal of orange peel that requires a couple hours of wet sanding. The one downside to the durability of this clear is it almost impossible to strip it down in the "purple pond" as I've had to replace bodies of other models. 

10 hours ago, drodg said:

Wow!!!

10 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Sweet, clean, and SHINY 🙂🙂🙂

10 hours ago, Ulbo said:

Simply beautifull, keep building👍

5 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint finish and I like the color. Nice clean looking trim. 

Thank you David, Jim, Rastislav, and David. A couple hours of wet sanding and polishing with Meguiars. 

4 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Gorgeous Riviera!!

2 hours ago, Bainford said:

Gorgeous Riv, Tom. Very sharp, very tidy. Nice foil work, too.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Wow.

Thank you Larry, Trevor and Lee. In order to facilitate foiling I used narrow strips of blue painters tape along the lower bodyside moldings since they were engraved rather lightly. I also used the tape on the upper area of the doors below the side windows since there is no engravings on this model unlike the AMT '66 version. 

Edited by AMT68

Hi Tom!

Thanks for the feedback on your method!

I tried this Rustoleum (the green can with the black wood chair on it) over Tamya's and Testor's lacquers, and even with very light coats, it was so strong (hot) that it smeared the color coats... I suppose it would go OK over automotive base-coats (such as Duplicolor, Axalta, PPG, HOK & al), but I still have to try it.

But whatever I did, I too ended up with some orange peel, even if my wet coats looked perfect after application. It shrunk during evaporation. That's life!

CT

11 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tom!

Thanks for the feedback on your method!

I tried this Rustoleum (the green can with the black wood chair on it) over Tamya's and Testor's lacquers, and even with very light coats, it was so strong (hot) that it smeared the color coats... I suppose it would go OK over automotive base-coats (such as Duplicolor, Axalta, PPG, HOK & al), but I still have to try it.

But whatever I did, I too ended up with some orange peel, even if my wet coats looked perfect after application. It shrunk during evaporation. That's life!

CT

Well thanks Claude for the info on using the Rusto clear over Tamiya and Testors lacquers. I've only used this clear over auto lacquers and was going to experiment with it on hobby paints. I may still attempt it on some scrap pieces but it sounds as though I may have to go a different route when clearing hobby paints. I like Testors Glosscote but I've burned through it more times than I can remember. TS-13 is great but a bit pricey considering how many kits I have. 

15 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Well thanks Claude for the info on using the Rusto clear over Tamiya and Testors lacquers. I've only used this clear over auto lacquers and was going to experiment with it on hobby paints. I may still attempt it on some scrap pieces but it sounds as though I may have to go a different route when clearing hobby paints. I like Testors Glosscote but I've burned through it more times than I can remember. TS-13 is great but a bit pricey considering how many kits I have. 

Hi Tom!

The Testor regular clear lacquer (blue can) is fairly thin, much like the TS-13 by the way. The only Testor clear that really produces stellar results, in my view, is the Wet Look Clear,( brown label can) that is not avail anymore here in Canada, much to my chagrin.

If you can get some, do it! It is thicker and more forgiving than the blue label, and will definetely resist vigourous rubbing. Case in point: this 49 Ford, polished but NOT sanded beforehand. I rest my case!

CT 

DSC00592 (2).JPG

DSC00596 (2).JPG

DSC00597 (2).JPG

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

If you can get some, do it! It is thicker and more forgiving than the blue label, and will definetely resist vigourous rubbing. Case in point: this 49 Ford, polished but NOT sanded beforehand. I rest my case!

Oh, that is beautiful Claude. I have used Testors WLC (which is still available at Hobby Lobby) on one build and yes the results were excellent and it did hold up to wet sanding. The only downside (and it probably has to do with me) is that it produced a very heavy orange peel. Perhaps if I wet sand between coats of clear I won't have as much sanding at the end. But it went over Tamiya lacquer well with no smearing of the metallic particles. 

36 minutes ago, AMT68 said:

Oh, that is beautiful Claude. I have used Testors WLC (which is still available at Hobby Lobby) on one build and yes the results were excellent and it did hold up to wet sanding. The only downside (and it probably has to do with me) is that it produced a very heavy orange peel. Perhaps if I wet sand between coats of clear I won't have as much sanding at the end. But it went over Tamiya lacquer well with no smearing of the metallic particles. 

Hi Tom!

My technique with WLClear is 2 light coats, let get "tacky", and one heavy wet coat. Usually, very little orange peel. Good luck with your experiments!

CT

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

wow! Man, that's nice! Knockout looking build, what a beautiful colour. Very clean detail and lovely foil work.

Thanks Gareth. It's an older promo style kit that requires some extra effort here and there but overall, it assembles very nicely. 

19 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

That's really nice Tom, a super-clean build of a great-looking car.

Thanks Nigel, there are a few spots on the trim that I now see in the pictures that could be better but overall, l I'm okay with how it turned out. 

17 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Very nice build, I like it!

Thank you, Thomas. 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:12 PM, AMT68 said:

Another build of the mid '90's "Countdown Series" reissue of the 1/25 scale Buick Riviera. Painted in Dupli-Color Toreador Red (Ford color) and cleared with Rust-Oleum Lacquer (green labeled can). Accent stripes along rocker trim is the vinyl adhesive I've used previously. Though incorrect I detailed the parking and front side marker lights using Tamiya clear orange. However I wasn't able to pick out the ribbed sections of those lights or further detail like I could with Testors turn signal amber. I took pictures in varying sunlight and a few indoor shots. 

This is my third build of this kit with another three unbuilt in my collection including an original issue that has a molded vinyl top. 

DSC_2937 - Copy.JPG

DSC_2967 - Copy.JPG

DSC_2910 - Copy.JPG

DSC_2995 - Copy.JPG

DSC_3025 - Copy.JPG

DSC_3031 - Copy.JPG

DSC_2943 - Copy.JPG

Beautifully done. Great color choices.

6 hours ago, echo said:

Beautiful model, could be mistaken for the real thing.

3 hours ago, BobbyG said:

Beautifully done. Great color choices.

3 hours ago, carrucha said:

Cool Rivi.  Well built and finished.

Thank you Ed, Bob and Hector. I'm still learning how to best photograph them. And I envision this color being used at least a few more times.