Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/24 '55 Chevy Gasser

Mr mopar

Great looking Box and I hope the Kit is as good as the box!

I am not sure if this is an appropriate place for this but I thought this might be interesting to some of the modellers here for a future build:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1955-chevy-gasser-hot-wheels-designer/

There is an interesting story to go along with the 30 Pictures they have posted regarding the builder of this car.  I subscribe to HOT ROD Magazine so I have been meaning to pass this along to those that might be interested.

Any idea when this kit might hit the store shelves?

If only it looked like that box art! That is awesome! I guess you would have to use the later issue Revell hardtop kit and the gasser parts and decals that are in this reissue to make it happen.... might be worth it, that is really cool!

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Oh nice!  I’ve been wanting to build a Badman forever! I assume it’s that same kit?

While the 1/24 Monogram '55 Chev and Badman two share much, the devil is in the details, so to speak-- different wheels and tires, exhaust, and the Badman version has a unique front spoiler, the grill opening-mounted Moon fuel tank, and wheelie bars which the Street Machine version does not.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

While the 1/24 Monogram '55 Chev and Badman two share much, the devil is in the details, so to speak-- different wheels and tires, exhaust, and the Badman version has a unique front spoiler, the grill opening-mounted Moon fuel tank, and wheelie bars which the Street Machine version does not.

Huh, I had no idea!  Thank you!!!  Great insight 

GASSER TIME!!! Very Inspiring Boxart!!

Wouldn't it be funny? if Revell has tooled new gasser parts to fit the 1:25th scale kit and re-tooled the quarters for radius wheelwells. That would fool us all! I'm wishful thinking but in theory they could do a factory kit bash with the 57 Ford Sedan straight axle and various other parts from modern Revell kits to make up a nice kit IMO...

For now I'll be happy to re-live my past and build the X-BADMAN Monogram Gasser or improve on the 1:25th 55 Chevy hardtop myself. 

20180214_113848.jpg

FB_IMG_1649522338970.jpg

• Like 1

This new box art is stellar! Like others have said, too bad it doesn’t reflect the actual box contents. Cool paint scheme though! 
I wish Revell would convert their American Graffiti diecast ‘55 sedan to styrene, like they did with the Bullitt Mustang/‘68 GT. I’m working on making a ‘55 into a gasser now and the kit is nice! Very well-proportioned too. 

Edited by Matt T.
Clarity
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Matt T. said:

I wish Revell would convert their American Graffiti diecast ‘55 sedan to styrene, like they did with the Bullitt Mustang/‘68 GT. I’m working on making a ‘55 into a gasser now and the kit is nice! Very well-proportioned too. 

I've scratched my head over this one too.  Since they've converted several of their other diecasts from that era into plastic kits, it seems like a no brainer.  Especially as hot as gassers are right now.

Then again, maybe the subject of this thread is the answer: maybe those in charge think it would be too similar to this existing tooling?

With the low detail and poor proportions, I for one have no interest in this 1/24 kit.  But I would definitely be interested if they converted the 1/25 AG '55 diecast.

Plus, if they marketed it as the AG '55, that gives them the movie/pop culture tie-in that we've been told is so desirable.  With a few changes, they could do a Two Lane Blacktop version as well.

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 1