Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/24 '55 Chevy Gasser


Recommended Posts

The Badman parts consisted of front spoiler, Header/exhaust extensions, wheels/tires (Slicks and Drag Mags) and wheelie bars if I'm not mistaken. The rest was in the Street Machine version. I think the Street Machine's wheels and tires... (Chrome Slotted Mags) came from the Early Iron series...They added the full grill back to the Street Machine too. It's kinda cool to see the evolution of the kit from 1963 to basically 1975 where it has remained the same even being molded in black. I think the Street Burner series was even molded in black in 2010.

I think it's a great part of Monogram history and seeing it recycled after 60 years is awesome. It does build up fairly well and represents a 55 Chevy so that's good enough for me.

Here's one from a friend of mine Mike Hall, His 55 Chevy Monogram Gasser the "Brown Mule". 

Also, here are the decals from the original release Monogram 55 Chevy and boxart. 

 

20200307_153626.jpg

Screenshot_20220419-102714_Samsung Internet.jpg

55chevy1.jpg.587c12a05811c54fa025a498a1e9215b.jpg

Screenshot_20220421-094926_Samsung Internet.jpg

386-4.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

original Monogram '55

That's a holy grail kit if you ask me... 

Speaking of Grail kits, While this kit has been on my mind lately, it has provoked some memories of the Monogram "Test Shot" owned by Mark Guynn. Clearly the most rare of all the Monogram 55 Chevys. This early conception from 1969 is molded in Orange...Tijuana Taxi Orange! And the "Colorless" decals really tell the story that the classic "Badman" design was still in progress at that point in time. 

FB_IMG_1650628732197.jpg

FB_IMG_1650628714024.jpg

FB_IMG_1650628761998.jpg

FB_IMG_1650628746190.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

That's a holy grail kit if you ask me... 

Speaking of Grail kits, While this kit has been on my mind lately, it has provoked some memories of the Monogram "Test Shot" owned by Mark Guynn. Clearly the most rare of all the Monogram 55 Chevys. This early conception from 1969 is molded in Orange...Tijuana Taxi Orange! And the "Colorless" decals really tell the story that the classic "Badman" design was still in progress at that point in time. 

FB_IMG_1650628732197.jpg

FB_IMG_1650628714024.jpg

FB_IMG_1650628761998.jpg

FB_IMG_1650628746190.jpg

FANTASTIC!!!  Thanks for posting this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always wonder what draws inspiration for the design team at Revell and other model companies... I know in modern times with the internet, inspiration is at your fingertips.

   I do believe someone at Revell has found inspiration from Gassers on Twitter with Dan Pitts and his 55 Chevy Gasser. The American flag Chevrolet design is cool and to see it on the real car is fascinating. I shared this with Dan and he is over the moon excited about the artwork and said he will likely buy two cases when they get released... 😆 anyways, back to your regularly scheduled program. 😁

Dh7SMVNUcAAqP1y.jpg

11990507_1706925119530768_7227436113662635711_n.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2022 at 1:06 PM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Ah, well, since it's come up, here are a couple shots of the original Monogram '55 box contents, if you like:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I would display that under glass in its own case, just like you show it. What a beautiful piece of model history!  Thank you for sharing that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Box art very rarely has an influence on my buying decision. But, this box art makes me want to buy one and build it just like the box art! 

Something I don't get and it's the same story with the Monogram '66 Malibu, is some expect the kit to be better than it was before or come with extra parts. It's an old kit. It is what it is. The vast majority of us already know what's in the box. So, why expect it to be different this time around? 

For me, these old Monogram kits are great for a no stress, fun type build. 

20220424_102731-1.jpg.8e47a57776fdcdd61c08d0ea31aa327f.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2022 at 12:49 PM, tbill said:

I hope it comes with a body that isn’t all messed up from mold mis alignment.

Oh - is this a chronic problem with this kit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2022 at 12:15 PM, disconovaman said:

I always wonder what draws inspiration for the design team at Revell and other model companies... I know in modern times with the internet, inspiration is at your fingertips.

   I do believe someone at Revell has found inspiration from Gassers on Twitter with Dan Pitts and his 55 Chevy Gasser. The American flag Chevrolet design is cool and to see it on the real car is fascinating. I shared this with Dan and he is over the moon excited about the artwork and said he will likely buy two cases when they get released... 😆 anyways, back to your regularly scheduled program. 😁

Dh7SMVNUcAAqP1y.jpg

11990507_1706925119530768_7227436113662635711_n.jpg

The neighbours must be delighted when this baby gets fired up. 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, showrods said:

Oh - is this a chronic problem with this kit?

An issue with all old kits, NOT a chronic problem for 99% of the builders on this forum. Like Plowboy said, it's a fun kit for a no-pressure build. If it interests you, try one, that simple. Great nostalgia build, takes you back to being a kid. Tom Daniel's designs were good like that; high on the "cool" factor.

Edited by bisc63
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I really like that gasser Roger.  Terrific job.  Is it just me, or does the roof on that kit look like its chopped.

I think the consensus is about a 1 to 11/2-inch chop explains the proportions on this kit. Tom Daniel just couldn't do "completely stock" bodies, I think!  Even race cars had to have a few custom touches. This one has a chopped top, tinted glass all around (best releases) the '60 Sedan deliveries ( Bad News, Quicksilver, etc..) had slanted B-pillars, custom grilles, extended rocker panels enclosing side pipes, etc. I think it's part of the charm of Daniel's kits; they seem to be cars of a car guy. A drag racer doesn't need custom grille tubes, or tinted glass, or button-tufted boat seats to go faster, but man-o-man does it look COOL!

TD himself refers to the Badman design as having a chopped top: http://www.tomdaniel.com/85_kits/frm_85kits.html

Edited by bisc63
typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I really like that gasser Roger.  Terrific job.  Is it just me, or does the roof on that kit look like its chopped.

I don't know if it's so much that the top looks chopped, the body looks thick or if I'm used to 1/25 scale. I think if the body got a mild section, it would be better proportioned.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2022 at 9:11 PM, Robberbaron said:

I've scratched my head over this one too.  Since they've converted several of their other diecasts from that era into plastic kits, it seems like a no brainer.  Especially as hot as gassers are right now.

Then again, maybe the subject of this thread is the answer: maybe those in charge think it would be too similar to this existing tooling?

With the low detail and poor proportions, I for one have no interest in this 1/24 kit.  But I would definitely be interested if they converted the 1/25 AG '55 diecast.

Plus, if they marketed it as the AG '55, that gives them the movie/pop culture tie-in that we've been told is so desirable.  With a few changes, they could do a Two Lane Blacktop version as well.

They'd have pay for licensing to release it as either of those, though, which Revell doesn't seem all that willing to do anymore unless it's Fast & Furious. 

To yours and Matt's point, though, the AG '55 diecast would make a great plastic kit and I'd be way more interested in that than another reissue of the malproportioned 1/24 kit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, bisc63 said:

TD himself refers to the Badman design as having a chopped top:

The original Monogram 55 Chevy was a convertable with the option to add a custom top. there were three options, a "stock hardtop" roof, a Formal "Boxtop" roof, and a glass "bubble" top roof.  I think the designers always intended the kit to be a convertable first and foremost. I think Tom and the Team used the stock top because it was the obvious choice for the Gasser... because it looks "chopped" and suits his quirky style appropriately.

The car is proportional with the top off IMO, it changes all together when the top is on.

I have this old original built up from the 60's. it needs restoration, my plan is to build a sedan roof, it's in poor condition. I'm gonna build it as a Gasser. I based my decision on the OB removing the side trim, (a huge disappointment to me). It's well done but I would've rathered it have the trim on with those original wheel openings. Also the front valance has been removed.

Wouldn't it be nice to see all those custom parts get re-popped too? Here's a look at the advertising card for the kit. I guess this was displayed at hobby shops to see all the options. I can imagine how exciting this was to see in 1963. 

20210628_211718.jpg

20210628_211801.jpg

20210628_212449.jpg

ca129a65dcd1a26f724b26fd3ad09e3f--chevy-models-monogram-models.jpg

Edited by disconovaman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I have this old original built up from the 60's. it needs restoration, my plan is to build a sedan roof, it's in poor condition. I'm gonna build it as a Gasser. I based my decision on the OB removing the side trim, (a huge disappointment to me). It's well done but I would've rathered it have the trim on with those original wheel openings. Also the front valance has been removed.

20210628_211718.jpg

Oh man, I wouldn't touch that thing, it has so much vintage cool factor. The hand painted pinstriping, the use of Monogram Woody Wagon wheels. Nice little time capsule

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2022 at 11:31 PM, Scott8950 said:

Who made your decals? I have been trying to find someone to make them.

That set is available from Speedway Decals (www.speedwaydecals.com). They also have a reproduction of the original Badman decals. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Wouldn't it be nice to see all those custom parts get re-popped too?

Very interesting stuff! I don't think I've ever seen an original Monogram '55, and to be honest, I didn't know there ever was a "stock" version of a '55 from them! I would absolutely LOVE to see those custom parts all re-popped. They open up all kinds of possibilities with the Monogram '56s and '57s too, as well as ...

If ever there was a way to re-ignite interest in these older, nostalgia kits, finding and restoring those long forgotten options would be a great start.

That being said, the top is definitely short. A '55 hardtop has a windshield glass that is 18 inches in height in the center, measured along the surface of the glass. That's 3/4" in 1/24 scale. A generous measurement of the Badman version (quick and dirty) shows a full 1/16 under that, and actually is a bit more. That doesn't sound like much, but in 1/24 scale 1/16" is one and a half inches, a noticeable chop to most any eye. I feel safe in saying that by precise measurement, the Daniel design model has a 2-inch chop. I'm curious about the measurement on your original model, from before the top was permanently added. Judging by the vent window proportions, Monogram already had the windshield too short. Could you measure and share? Also' keep in mind when you alter yours to a sedan, the sedan windows, both windshield and back glass, are 1/2-inch taller than hardtops.

Edited by bisc63
added info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Oh man, I wouldn't touch that thing, it has so much vintage cool factor. The hand painted pinstriping, the use of Monogram Woody Wagon wheels. Nice little time capsule

Times two. Gentle cleaning, replace missing parts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How does the height of the Badman version windshield compare to that of the 1963 separate-hardtop kit?  Might be a simple proportion issue from that kit, that just carried over into the modified reissue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

Times two. Gentle cleaning, replace missing parts.

Agreed - a little gentle soap and water and I'm sure that about 90-95% of that would clean right off.  Not too sure how much is missing though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mark said:

How does the height of the Badman version windshield compare to that of the 1963 separate-hardtop kit?  Might be a simple proportion issue from that kit, that just carried over into the modified reissue.

That's what I'm suspecting, as it sure appears shorter than stock in photos posted above. Hoping Anthony H. will measure his and post here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...