Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevy Dually Shop Truck

I think I'm done with the weathering.  The running boards, grille, front apron, and fenders are painted flat black.  I'll try going over them with some 0000 steel wool once they are good and dry.  

20220429_132812.jpg

20220429_132831.jpg

20220429_132839.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Been waiting for an update on this one. The wait was worth it. Looks great. Has the gears in my head turning for sure. I picked up one of those 34 fords at HL as an open box. Its missing the wheels, tires and glass, but a trove of great parts.

21 minutes ago, ksnow said:

Been waiting for an update on this one. The wait was worth it. Looks great. Has the gears in my head turning for sure. I picked up one of those 34 fords at HL as an open box. Its missing the wheels, tires and glass, but a trove of great parts.

Thanks Kyle.  I built the 34 Ford as a service truck last year.  

20211028_101723.jpg

11 minutes ago, ksnow said:

That service truck looks great also. I've got a complete 34 and the parts kit. You've got me thinking one of my other pickups is going to be converted into a wrecker.

Thanks Kyle.  Yeah, I like the wreckers.

19 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Good job on the weathering Bob. Looking good. I need to get me another 50 Chevy, I did a poor job on my first one. 

Thanks James.  Same here, the 50 Chevy pickup was my first attempt back into the hobby, so I tore it down to build this wrecker.

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Period correct looking boom, and many was a big pole.  Sweet looking 34 also.  I’m sure your not done and I look forward to it.

Thanks Carl.  Yeah, I still have a lot to do yet.

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Still working on this one Bob,or are you taking a break?

Thanks for checking in Carl.  This is a "Shop Truck" group build I'm involved in on YouTube and we don't have to have them done until the end of the year.  I'm in no hurry.  Just doing what I can, when I can.  Other projects going on but right now I'm on my Honey do list ☺    

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zippi said:

Thanks for checking in Carl.  This is a "Shop Truck" group build I'm involved in on YouTube and we don't have to have them done until the end of the year.  I'm in no hurry.  Just doing what I can, when I can.  Other projects going on but right now I'm on my Honey do list ☺    

Must keep wife happy". Always make me think of Proverbs..

19 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Your weathering looks great. I just started on a 29 Ford Roadster Pick-Up I'm hoping to turn into a Rat Rod. Was looking for an easy and convincing way to weather it. Your method is both. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Jim.  I appreciate it.  

On 4/29/2022 at 12:33 PM, Zippi said:

I think I'm done with the weathering.  The running boards, grille, front apron, and fenders are painted flat black.  I'll try going over them with some 0000 steel wool once they are good and dry.  

If I could make a recommendation? Mix up a wash of rust colored acrylic craft paint and go over the body with that. The thinned paint finds the scratches from your sanding and settles in there nicely and really brings the whole patina look together.

49089837653_bab40acd14_c.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jantrix said:

If I could make a recommendation? Mix up a wash of rust colored acrylic craft paint and go over the body with that. The thinned paint finds the scratches from your sanding and settles in there nicely and really brings the whole patina look together.

49089837653_bab40acd14_c.jpg

Thanks for the info Rob.  Your weathering turned out nice.  I'll take a look at HL for some rust colored acrylic craft paint next time I'm there.  I don't ever remember seeing any rust colored paint there but then again I wasn't looking for it either.

2 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I'll take a look at HL for some rust colored acrylic craft paint next time I'm there. 

Zip, look for burnt umber, burnt sienna, and other browns for making rust. Also a bit if red and orange. I like using artist oils and Japan drier to help them dry. Also get you some pastel chalks. Good weathering!!