Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fulmine di Sodio (salt lightning): a scratchbuild Ferrari-powered Bonneville streamliner.

HI!

I build at least one Bonneville car per year... so here's my latest member of the FLAT EARTH SOCIETY: FULMINE DI SODIO (salt lightning in Italian).

I started with the hull of an unknown battleship found in the junk bin at a model show, fabricated the lower "pan", frame and monocoque driver's pod, front and rr canteliver air suspensions & reservoirs, Optima battery, rear-wings actuator, steering linkage, electric system, Paxton blower air intake (I inverted the OEM plenum), vertical wing, parachute tube, push-bar, modified the front wheels pods (from Carl Casper dragster, modified) fuel cell from Phantom Vicky, lipstick tube canopy & various other parts. The air scoop, twin oil filters & radiator are from the Hays Tbird, the rear wheels from AMT's XJ220 Jag supercar, the engine from Revell's Ferrari California Spyder, the quick-change rear from MT's Challenger, the steering tiller from an old Monogram show rod, all modified. Fully wired and hosed. Special mix of Tamya TS-84 + clear orange, Wet Look clear, Molotow's chrome,  home-made decals. 

Hours of fun with styrene. Long live the salt!

CT 

DSC01420 (2).JPG

DSC01425 (2).JPG

DSC01427 (2).JPG

DSC01429 (2).JPG

DSC01438 (2).JPG

DSC01439 (2).JPG

DSC01441 (2).JPG

DSC01444 (2).JPG

DSC01450 (2).JPG

DSC01453 (2).JPG

DSC01455 (2).JPG

DSC01460 (2).JPG

DSC01466 (2).JPG

DSC01472 (2).JPG

DSC01468 (2).JPG

• Like 5

WOW Claude!

No need to ask if you had fun building this beautiful Bonneville car, it exudes passion and ingenuity from front to back.  Considering the length of this car, I have a hard time imagining all the imagination required to fill the space and make it look so plausible.  Yet it is, despite my lack of knowledge on the subject I could not tell if it is a tribute vehicle or the pure invention of a brain overflowing with imagination.

You continue to impress me my friend, in addition to the quality of assembly the color is fantastic! 👌

Bravo!!!

Great design and execution. The use of the battleship hull is brilliant. While parts don't look prototypical, at least to my knowledge, they look functional. For example I've never seen a front suspension with one air shock severing both axles but it could work. The front wheel flairs with built in ground effects is wonderful original thinking. Congrats on a masterpiece.

Amazing craftsmanship and creativity!  Love the front wheel pods and the rear suspension. You really thought through and sweated all the internal details. The only thing missing are Ferrari logo(s)! Bravo!

Edited by papajohn97
Content

On 4/16/2022 at 5:03 AM, absmiami said:

Yup. Recognize those wheels

phabulous …

what’s the wheelbase ?

weight / horsepower - what do you think the trap speed would be ?  

Hi Andrew!

Thanks for the comments. The wheelbase, at 1/24, would be 144 inches. The OEM Ferrari California V8 is claimed to produce 460hp. With the Paxton supercharger that I added, I would guess 550 to 600 HP at peak. With the quick-change rear end, it should be good for 300 MPH. As you can tell, it has a very small frontal area, so...

But, all fantasies of course! 

CT