Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fulmine di Sodio (salt lightning): a scratchbuild Ferrari-powered Bonneville streamliner.

On 4/18/2022 at 11:13 AM, Gramps46 said:

Extremely well done.  Every time I look at the photos, I see something else to be impressed with.

Hi Gary!

Thank you so much. I know what you mean: I find myself in the same situation when I look closely at our fellow modelers posts on this forum. Good source of inspiration!

CT 

On 4/19/2022 at 7:36 PM, Scott Colmer said:

Awww MAN this is slick! I always come to this page hoping to see so cool LSR build, and you did not disappoint. What an excellent build. so much to look at and enjoy! Blown Ferrari, trick suspension, flip up driver's guard, all tucked into an upside down boat. Perfect! Thanks for posting this. I'm going to steal this one to add to my favorites album.

Always the fan.

Scott

Hi Scott!

Thanks for the enthusiastic review.

I can tell that you are into details, and I share your passion for LSR vehicles. That's why I "founded" the Flat Earth Society after all, and I hope to be chair for the rest of my life! LOL. Now, I have to come up with another annual salt car... What will it be?

CT

Claude, your annual trip to the salt is always worth waiting for!  This creation, apart from being totally stunning, takes your level of creativity to new heights! I will have a salt racer myself to post shortly but it pales in comparison to this one!

Cheers

Alan

On 4/23/2022 at 7:32 PM, Codi said:

I've always admired LSR cars Claude and must say your latest build just looks like pure fun.  Lots of imagination and you executed it wonderfully.   cheers, tim

Hi Tim!

Happy you stopped by, and reacted to my yearly salt car.

I was at a show this last weekend, and I'm always amused to see the large amount of people who have no idea what kind of race car this is. Granted, SCTA does not have the same media attention as, say, Nascar, but fellow modelers mostly end up telling me "I'll look it up". 

On a different note, I follow your current built, and I was impressed by your Autolite in-line scratchbuilt carb. I can't wait to see the whole car!

Regards,

CT 

Claude, this build is amazing. Streamliners are so cool. Your build is perfect. The color choice and finish is perfect also. I have only been to salt flats once. But still have a very strong feeling for the salt cars. This seems to be the only place a amateur and a professional can race together. This day and age. Love your build sir. Great job. 

On 4/26/2022 at 9:41 AM, Bainford said:

Stunning model, Claude. Just beautiful. That's a lot of work, but it looks like a fun build. Lots of innovation there. Excellent!

Thank you Trevor! It was, indeed, a lot of satisfaction seeing it come together. Hours of fun with styrene!

CT 

Claude, I had to look at your build numerous times to truly see all the amazing work you've done. Your work and design shows the ingenuity that the 1 to 1 scale builders of the salt flat cars have.

Fun fact, My father n law was invited by Mickey Thompson to come see him try set the speed record on the flats back in the day.

Edgar

On 4/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, happy grumpy said:

The result of great imagination, engineering , design ,mechanical knowledge skills and craftsmanship . Although not in the same niche of car modelling , you inspire me a lot to better myself.

Another great model. Awesome. 👍

Salut Mario!

Thank you for the compliments. Inspiring each other seems the best side of this forum. Keep building: so much styrene, so little time!

CT

On 4/26/2022 at 4:20 PM, grodudulle77 said:

Very nice work Claude, awesome build !! 👍😀

Merci Philippe!

I also posted this car on the Koolest kruzers forum of France. I was pleasantly surprised to see they used it in their monthly newsletter as a "subject of interest". You never know...

CT

On 4/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, alan barton said:

Claude, your annual trip to the salt is always worth waiting for!  This creation, apart from being totally stunning, takes your level of creativity to new heights! I will have a salt racer myself to post shortly but it pales in comparison to this one!

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan!

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. Please, show us your lakester as soon as it's done. There will never be be too many members of the FLAT EARTH SOCIETY!

Keep them coming!

CT

Santo sgombro!
This has got to be the most creative and beautiful repurpose of a junk bin find…ever. 
A battleship with left over doodads from a dragster kit and parts from a T-Bird, Challenger, Jag, with Ferrari power. 
Your vision and imagination is inspirational!
Sensazionale!
Edited by Lobo2me

On 4/28/2022 at 10:39 AM, ismaelg said:

What a magnificent build!  A true inspiration! 

I've always wanted to do something similar but I'm not very familiar with LSR requirements and details.

Thanks,
Ismael

Hi Ismael!

Thank you for the compliments. Rest assured that I'm no expert myself as to SCTA rules. Just some basic research and some fantasies allow me to have fun with styrene and concepts.

Go ahead: create your own racer, and share it here!

CT 

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Ismael!

Thank you for the compliments. Rest assured that I'm no expert myself as to SCTA rules. Just some basic research and some fantasies allow me to have fun with styrene and concepts.

Go ahead: create your own racer, and share it here!

CT 

Hehe... I have :) 

Just that mine are crazy jet powered pure fantasies.  But I'd like to do something more realistic like yours.

2v2HznpQqxJ21ND.jpg

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/105077-164-lsr-salt-racer/

http://www.puertoriconet.com/models/hw.htm

Thanks,
Ismael

On 4/30/2022 at 5:15 PM, Brudda said:

Claude, this build is amazing. Streamliners are so cool. Your build is perfect. The color choice and finish is perfect also. I have only been to salt flats once. But still have a very strong feeling for the salt cars. This seems to be the only place a amateur and a professional can race together. This day and age. Love your build sir. Great job. 

Hi Bruce!

Thanks for the compliments. You are right: In this day and age, salt lake racing may be the last "amateur" motor sport. To me, it is certainly part of it's appeal. 

So much styrene, so little time!

CT