Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fulmine di Sodio (salt lightning): a scratchbuild Ferrari-powered Bonneville streamliner.

On 5/1/2022 at 9:50 AM, bytownshaker said:

Claude, I had to look at your build numerous times to truly see all the amazing work you've done. Your work and design shows the ingenuity that the 1 to 1 scale builders of the salt flat cars have.

Fun fact, My father n law was invited by Mickey Thompson to come see him try set the speed record on the flats back in the day.

Edgar

Hi Edgar!

Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated.

Wow, your father in law's story is great. I guess it proves that the famous "five degrees of separation" theory is right. It postulates that we are never more than five contact-persons away from anyone on the planet.

Let's see: I'm in contact with you, you are in contact with your father in law. who in turn met Mr. Thompson... That's a maximum of 4. It works! LOL. 

CT 

Another beautiful creation from the house of Claude. (Maison de Claude?) Did I mess that up? My French is… well, very limited. Very impressive engineering as usual, I know very little about salt flats cars, but this sure looks the part.

Cheers, Steve

On 5/7/2022 at 6:39 PM, Lobo2me said:

Santo sgombro!
This has got to be the most creative and beautiful repurpose of a junk bin find…ever. 
A battleship with left over doodads from a dragster kit and parts from a T-Bird, Challenger, Jag, with Ferrari power. 
Your vision and imagination is inspirational!
Sensazionale!

Hi Steve!

Thank you for the praise, and the sense of humour! Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go back to the junk bin: more discoveries await!

CT 

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2022 at 12:17 AM, ismaelg said:

Hehe... I have :) 

Just that mine are crazy jet powered pure fantasies.  But I'd like to do something more realistic like yours.

2v2HznpQqxJ21ND.jpg

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/105077-164-lsr-salt-racer/

http://www.puertoriconet.com/models/hw.htm

Thanks,
Ismael

Hi Ismael!

Well, as you know, the mantra at Bonneville is "IMAGINATION" . That is how so many competitors came up with novel ideas, sometimes challenging the tech inspectors to take a fresh look at regulations. No big sponsors money here, just pure creativity!

CT 

On 5/12/2022 at 3:32 PM, Steve H said:

Another beautiful creation from the house of Claude. (Maison de Claude?) Did I mess that up? My French is… well, very limited. Very impressive engineering as usual, I know very little about salt flats cars, but this sure looks the part.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve!

Good morning from LA MAISON DE CLAUDE.... (your french is right).

Thanks for the comments. They key isue here was packaging. My admiration for the real Bonneville racers went up during this build. The next salt car should have a slightly more expansive body, for ease of assembly...

CT 

La Maison de Claude - ça c'est sûr! Couturier du plastique par excellence. Love the true-to-sponsors theme, especially the SafePod and the elaborate Ride Tech system. Also the realistic goal setting - a mere 300MPH+ - definitely attainable with the Ferrari power. Brilliant!

Looks like you hit a home run again Claude!

If you didn't know you had talent and taste, you should take the time to reread all the deserved praise for this fantastic model.

If it wasn't for the fact that you have to expand your garage and the scarcity of customers, I could see a bright future for you in the manufacturing of this type of unusual vehicle, you would just have to find an adequate local test track (certainly not the St-Laurent river on winter...) or pay for a few trips to Bonneville per year, the real black misery... 😁

On 5/16/2022 at 8:16 PM, Bernard Kron said:

La Maison de Claude - ça c'est sûr! Couturier du plastique par excellence. Love the true-to-sponsors theme, especially the SafePod and the elaborate Ride Tech system. Also the realistic goal setting - a mere 300MPH+ - definitely attainable with the Ferrari power. Brilliant!

Bonjour Bernard!

Merci pour les compliments.

To your point, I build 1/1 cars, so my modeling approach is always skewed toward "practical" designs, I don't mean to claim that I always attain my goals on this repect, but I try! 

CT

PS: I often see your postings on the Koolest Kruzers French forum, and the never fail to please!

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Bonjour Bernard!

Merci pour les compliments.

To your point, I build 1/1 cars, so my modeling approach is always skewed toward "practical" designs, I don't mean to claim that I always attain my goals on this repect, but I try! 

CT

PS: I often see your postings on the Koolest Kruzers French forum, and the never fail to please!

Aha, now I understand the insight that inspires your "imagineering".

Regarding Koolest Krusers, (go to Koolest Kruzers home page ), the French have their own unique perspective on American culture and Koolest is a group dedicated to all things regarding scale modeling American cars, trucks and motorcycles of all kinds. The technical level is generally exceptionally high and a true delight to the eye. And, as I say, the POV is refreshing and original. Highly recommended to all MCM members. The French members welcome the participation of Anglophone participants - it gives them an opportunity to exercise their English. And contemporary French social media is heavily populated with Franglais which will help get you started. Otherwise Google Translator is your friend, LOL!

On 5/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Looks like you hit a home run again Claude!

If you didn't know you had talent and taste, you should take the time to reread all the deserved praise for this fantastic model.

If it wasn't for the fact that you have to expand your garage and the scarcity of customers, I could see a bright future for you in the manufacturing of this type of unusual vehicle, you would just have to find an adequate local test track (certainly not the St-Laurent river on winter...) or pay for a few trips to Bonneville per year, the real black misery... 😁

Hi Francis!

Alas, my shop/garage is not large enough to accomodate these looooooooooong vehicles. Currently, I have a 1/1 1970 Challenger 440 6-Pack that I'm working on, and it takes all the space (it's blown apart for paint, and it is, indeed, a fairly large car. 

Hope the health issue you mentionned on your thread a behind you, and it was nothing serious. We certainly are getting older by the day...

CT 

On 5/20/2022 at 9:48 AM, Muncie said:

Claude,   The salt flats are a very unique place on this earth.  Your absolutely beautiful streamliner captures the speed, innovation, emotion, and spirit of Bonneville.  Well done.

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the comments. Being there is still on my bucket list. I'm planning for the 2023 event, if all goes according to plans...

CT 

On 5/20/2022 at 11:56 AM, ea0863 said:

Beautiful design and beautiful execution. I could totally see this vehicle running the salt flats! Thank you for the inspiration and for posting Claude.

Hi Sir!

Thanks for the compliments. Sharing is the goal of this forum, so I'm happy if it ever inspires you!

CT 

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2022 at 6:00 PM, Mattilacken said:

Wow!! First thought great work on coverting a ship to that beautiful shape.. and then I realized you had engineered the chassis and all underneath it!! Dropped my jaw!

Hi Anton!

Thank you for the comments. Pick-up your jaw... you'll need it to eat... LOL!

CT

On 7/1/2022 at 9:06 AM, TarheelRick said:

Wow, I don't know how I missed this build. The engineering is beyond anything I have seen in a while. You sir have a tremendous mastery of styrene.  Thanks for sharing this build.

Hi Ricky!

Thank you for the praise, but, you have to know that I'm just a very patient old guy, with probably too much time on my hands. Might explain the engineering and detailing... Besides, I'm VERY invested in all things Bonneville. So...

I try to build at least one lakester a year. This one was my "lockdown" special! The next one is already started. Stay tuned! LOL

CT

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi!

I entered the Fulmine streamliner in the Montreal model show last week-end, and I was honored to take 1st place in Competition-closed wheels with it! Quite a surprise, since Bonneville cars usually don't stand a chance against any drag or Nascar car... Go figure!

The times they are a changing... 

CT

• Like 2