Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Meyers Manx Dune Buggy

Exotics_Builder

I remember buying this when it first came out, started but never finished it.  School and a part time job were taking too much time and energy.  Somewhere along the way, the kit disappeared.  So, I was excited that AMT reissued it a few years ago in the original box art plus the diorama display.  So, I went and got one.  Additionally, I won two more in a couple of show raffles.

1451259867_MeyersManx(0).JPG.50f57405870af540ca0cd186c05ac4b6.JPG

Once again, it sat on the shelf waiting for me to get the build interest.  That finally came while I have a couple of projects in painting.  I decided to go for it.

In my opinion, the kit will build just fine from the box.  There are, however, some details that could spice this one up.  First is the Replicas and Miniatures VW engine “hop-up” kit that I got for just such a moment.  Improved detail in the engine area, given that it is so exposed, would be very beneficial. 

396021249_MeyersManx(1).JPG.a4df8aced16b774025c6178f77f60a35.JPG

Second, the 1:1 body attaches to the shortened frame with bolts.  There is nothing representative of that sort on the model body.  I found photos of the pattern, marked them on the body and drilled holes for eventual bolts.

1392774486_MeyersManx(2).JPG.aa3a20b6cb07b0b0e449d0520f7eaee6.JPG

The real car body also has rough lower body since the gel coat is only the top and interior.  The AMT kit is not smooth, but no texture is there for the fiberglass.  To address this, I will be using medical tape that has a granular look and will apply to the body before the black coat.

2105648170_MeyersManx(4).JPG.02059397ef49cc9be40fd20e850daae5.JPG

Finally, the wheels and tires in the kit are alright and suspension not bad, it would benefit from better tires, wheels, and brakes.  I pulled out some tires I felt would work from the parts bin along with a set of VW mags and drum brakes.  Again, since relatively exposed, I felt a little bit more detail is warranted.

1962261671_MeyersManx(3).JPG.73e668e01b3242082a894bea2d41a1ff.JPG

I’ve washed the parts and am striping the chrome from the engine.  Getting ready to primer and need to select the color.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I remember buying this when it first came out, started but never finished it.  School and a part time job were taking too much time and energy.  Somewhere along the way, the kit disappeared.  So, I was excited that AMT reissued it a few years ago in the original box art plus the diorama display.  So, I went and got one.  Additionally, I won two more in a couple of show raffles.

1451259867_MeyersManx(0).JPG.50f57405870af540ca0cd186c05ac4b6.JPG

Once again, it sat on the shelf waiting for me to get the build interest.  That finally came while I have a couple of projects in painting.  I decided to go for it.

In my opinion, the kit will build just fine from the box.  There are, however, some details that could spice this one up.  First is the Replicas and Miniatures VW engine “hop-up” kit that I got for just such a moment.  Improved detail in the engine area, given that it is so exposed, would be very beneficial. 

396021249_MeyersManx(1).JPG.a4df8aced16b774025c6178f77f60a35.JPG

Second, the 1:1 body attaches to the shortened frame with bolts.  There is nothing representative of that sort on the model body.  I found photos of the pattern, marked them on the body and drilled holes for eventual bolts.

1392774486_MeyersManx(2).JPG.aa3a20b6cb07b0b0e449d0520f7eaee6.JPG

The real car body also has rough lower body since the gel coat is only the top and interior.  The AMT kit is not smooth, but no texture is there for the fiberglass.  To address this, I will be using medical tape that has a granular look and will apply to the body before the black coat.

2105648170_MeyersManx(4).JPG.02059397ef49cc9be40fd20e850daae5.JPG

Finally, the wheels and tires in the kit are alright and suspension not bad, it would benefit from better tires, wheels, and brakes.  I pulled out some tires I felt would work from the parts bin along with a set of VW mags and drum brakes.  Again, since relatively exposed, I felt a little bit more detail is warranted.

1962261671_MeyersManx(3).JPG.73e668e01b3242082a894bea2d41a1ff.JPG

I’ve washed the parts and am striping the chrome from the engine.  Getting ready to primer and need to select the color.

Something in a bigger sized metal flake perhaps?

Helped build a few of these way back in another lifetime. We also had molds and made several different style bodies.

I remember we had 30 gallon fiberboard barrels full of flake in silver, gold, blue, red and green to use in the finish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Something in a bigger sized metal flake perhaps?

Helped build a few of these way back in another lifetime. We also had molds and made several different style bodies.

I remember we had 30 gallon fiberboard barrels full of flake in silver, gold, blue, red and green to use in the finish.

Looking at Testors Electric Pink

This is a great little kit and the extra detailing you're mentioning will go a long way. I built one to represent a basic floor pan and roll bar set up of one I owned years ago. The instructions in the kit suggest mounting the front brake drums is actually backwards. With a little study of the parts and the picture on the instructions you will pick that up easily. As for the body sides, your idea of a texture to represent the ruff fiber glass sound good. A friend of mine had one built for him around the '68 era. His had an option where they installed a flat panel that covered that area and had the same finish as the top of the body. While it gave his a more finished look but his was primarily a street driven rig and I doubt if it ever went off the pavement.   

• Like 1