Model Cars Magazine Forum

BJ and the Bear

Looks like you got one of the early issue kits with the rub-on transfer decals. I built one back in the day with those blasted decals and they fought me every bit of the way. I would suggest you save yourself much grief and apply those to a blank, clear water slide decal sheet before you install them on the truck. You'll thank me later!

It also appears that you shortened the frame to match the real truck. If you could, please tell us where you made the cut?

On 4/21/2022 at 12:47 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks like you got one of the early issue kits with the rub-on transfer decals. I built one back in the day with those blasted decals and they fought me every bit of the way. I would suggest you save yourself much grief and apply those to a blank, clear water slide decal sheet before you install them on the truck. You'll thank me later!

It also appears that you shortened the frame to match the real truck. If you could, please tell us where you made the cut?

I can remember these decals from many years ago. I agree, not easy to work with. I transferred the dry transfer decals to a clear decal sheet and shot it with two light coats of clear to seal them. Went to soak them in water and the just fell apart, setback number 1. I also had a set from Firebirds that I decided to use. I applied them as usual and let them dry overnight. They were more of a tinted red and they didn’t adhere in many spots. I soaked the truck in water and lifted the decals right off. Setback number 2. I am now going to mask off the red area and paint. Hopefully this will work. 
The frame was cut just behind the fuel tank mount and 61mm had been removed. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a few decal setbacks, I finally applied one good side decal. A little touch up yet but looks good. I ordered a few different sets from ModelTrucking, setting up another  movie/ tv truck build. 

AB6D1474-F920-4F00-AEFE-83CB8711BDBA.jpeg

DE7618D6-F3E0-47D5-88FF-FB2AF667AEBC.jpeg

3478389A-39B2-4721-8604-76449DCA1B91.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...