Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for projects, what do you need 3D files for, or printed?

Let me start by saying that I am not looking to start a new business. I have a full time job. I am however getting into the 3D printing rather deeply and I am learning Fusion 360. I will post some pictures on stuff I have made. 

What would you like to see available? An engine not in kits form? Wheels that are different or not in kits? Tool boxes, fuel tanks, winches, etc?

Let me know what you want to see made and send me a picture if you can. I will be working on this stuff in the evenings while I am at hotels for work, so this gives me something to do. And yes, I am in hotels every week 4 nights. 

If it is something that I think will be popular I will post it on Cults for a small fee, but free to the one who asks for it. Simple stuff I will just post on Cults for free. 

If you need it printed I can do that, but because I am only home on the weekends, you will need to be patient. 

So, what would you like?

2 hole wheels 20in v1.png

Spoked Wheels v3.png

detroit v14.png

35 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

If you need it printed I can do that, but because I am only home on the weekends, you will need to be patient. 

So, what would you like?

I would be seriously in the market for at least (3) three mid '90s Ford 300 6 cylinder EFI....for various projects! 

Screenshot_20220417-191917.png

38 minutes ago, Khils said:

I would be seriously in the market for at least (3) three mid '90s Ford 300 6 cylinder EFI....for various projects! 

Screenshot_20220417-191917.png

OK, I like this idea. I have been wanting to make a Ford 170-300 CID inline 6 for a while. While I know they are different, all the Ford inline engines will be similar. I will start working on it this week. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

3/4 ton hubcaps for Chevy pickups, 69-72.  Used on Chevy 1 ton vans also.  The AMT  van caps are very poor representations and were never designed to fit a larger 16"-16.5" wheel.

IMG_5307.JPG

IMG_5657.JPG

I like it, I could use a few of these myself. I think the best way to go would be to make the wheels and the hubcaps. There are no 16 or 16.5 wheels out there for these kits other than what is offered in resin from the aftermarket. I will see what I can do. 

23 hours ago, Bowtienutz said:

1/25 scale seated Race drivers,  and passengers, dogs, 1/35 scale seated passengers for the Roden greyhound bus. 2wd suspension for AMT chevy/blazer,GMC Jimmy

Well, anything organic is beyond my skills by a long shot. So, no people, animals or plant-life. However, 2WD suspension for the Jimmy is a possibility. I have 3 of those kits and may be able to come up with something. 

13 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I'd love a Rockwell 5 ton transfer case. I'd be down for probably 20 in 1/25 and another 10 in 1/24. I need good measurements and have no idea where to find one to get them.

1132397506_129_0710_09_zbest_transfer_casest_136_27.jpg.32366ec0a3aca9ae537abf72fab91325.jpg

Yes, this I would love to do. Does not look to hard as long as you are OK with a close representation and it does not have to be "Rivet Counter" perfect. 

I would need some more pictures and dimensions. I will look to see what I can find, if you find anything send it my way. 

14 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I would like to see a set of hood mounted hood mirrors for Italeri 1/24th Volvo vn 780  

Hood-Mirrors-Volvo-VNL-20164559.jpg

FuGpcMuirjbJuzwDTG9lxmduGsns2txa1N9_GsYBqA0__94256__50630.1478705103.1280.1280.jpg

HMMM, Maybe. They don't look too bad, but I don't have that kit to get any size reference from. It will be hard to get the angles right with no hood to work off of. 

12 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

You're doing what I wish I had the computer skills to do! The whole design thing is far beyond my abilities.

Anyway, I wish there was a Ford 5.0L Coyote V8 out there. 

ford-coyote-08.jpg

Your skills and mine. While this is possible, and I may even be able to get something kind of close, there are others that have already done this and are selling this engine in resin. So, I am not sure it would be time well spent. 

6 hours ago, 1st 700 Quad said:

A bare block for the GMC 702 c.i. V-12 engine. Basically two GMC V-6s joined into one block.

Thanks

Steve

Do you have any specs on this? I have seen plenty of pictures, but I would need dimensions. Copies/scans from a shop manual would help. I did a complete 8V71 Detroit, so this would not be too bad to do. 

On 4/17/2022 at 5:28 PM, Mike C. said:

The Hickey hood for squarebody chevys and gmcs would be nice.

1 gmc h.jpg

I missed this one. I think I could do this. I have the Revell Chevy kits and will start there. 

Thank you all for the input. I enjoy a challenge and this will give me a few things to work on. I make no promises, but if I can make something useful and help others, it would be nice. 

On 4/17/2022 at 5:48 PM, leafsprings said:

3/4 ton hubcaps for Chevy pickups, 69-72.  Used on Chevy 1 ton vans also.  The AMT  van caps are very poor representations and were never designed to fit a larger 16"-16.5" wheel.

IMG_5307.JPG

IMG_5657.JPG

How is this? 12in 3/4ton hub cap. Not perfect but once painted and in this small scale I think it should be close. The hub cap has a few more details, but in this scale I am not sure they would show up. BTW, this was a fun one to figure out. 

Chevy Hubcap V2.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Yes, this I would love to do. Does not look to hard as long as you are OK with a close representation and it does not have to be "Rivet Counter" perfect. 

I would need some more pictures and dimensions. I will look to see what I can find, if you find anything send it my way. 

That's fine, they're going to be underneath all the trucks so close enough is great. Right now I've got nothing and that's holding up a bunch of projects. I'll see if I can find some dimensions. I also know of a 5 ton truck locally, I just need to see if they'll let crawl under it.

On 4/17/2022 at 10:16 PM, Bills72sj said:

I have something simpler. A set of wheels to match the ones on my 1:1. I will PM you to see if you want pics and dimensions.

Dwg_A Outer ring dimensions.jpg

I think I may need to go back and try again on this one. I scrolled down to find the other dimensions after I had guessed at a few. However, I added a rim to it just  for kicks and I think I like it for a project or two of mine. 

Also keep in mind that at 1:25 scale, a lot of details are just not possible. Look at what comes in the kit. Like the Socket cap screws, they are .4mm and the hex in about .2. That may or may not print as anything other than a divot in the center of a nub. 

Let me know what you think. 

SJ72 Wheels v3.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

17 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

You're doing what I wish I had the computer skills to do! The whole design thing is far beyond my abilities.

Anyway, I wish there was a Ford 5.0L Coyote V8 out there. 

ford-coyote-08.jpg

As Erik Smith posted, Iceman has the ‘15-17 and the ‘11-12 Gen 1 Coyote engine available. Maybe this is will help.
icemancollections.com

Edited by vincen47