Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for projects, what do you need 3D files for, or printed?

18 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Your skills and mine. While this is possible, and I may even be able to get something kind of close, there are others that have already done this and are selling this engine in resin. So, I am not sure it would be time well spent. 

Do you have any specs on this? I have seen plenty of pictures, but I would need dimensions. Copies/scans from a shop manual would help. I did a complete 8V71 Detroit, so this would not be too bad to do. 

I'll work on that.

Steve

20 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

How is this? 12in 3/4ton hub cap. Not perfect but once painted and in this small scale I think it should be close. The hub cap has a few more details, but in this scale I am not sure they would show up. BTW, this was a fun one to figure out. 

Chevy Hubcap V2.jpg

Wow, that was quick. I don't know how you do it, but that is it. Thank you very much. Here are some close up photos of the real 3/4 ton 12" hubcap ( painted version) that might help fine tune it some more. I've always wanted to do a 3/4 ton Chevy camper special with all the recent '72 reissues. The popped out center blue bowtie  shown is '69-'72 ( shown), later  '73-'75. the center was pushed in with a gold bowtie.

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1791.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

This might be kinda "out there", but for us VW fans.....especially the Type 3 variants, I'd LOVE to see the proper air cleaner and fan shroud that those had. It's how these cars had "two" trunks as the lower profile of the fan and air cleaner led to much more space above the engine.

Here are a few pics of it out of a Type 34 Karmann Ghia which will be a project for me in the not too distant future.

Air cleaner........

40-jahre-vw-sp-R-DXS6FB.jpeg.d2a9eb777553bce1f3b79474ee5aca6d.jpeg

Fan shroud........

3f0139a51e1b672038aeb65c37412b2d.jpg.9b78714b7537cee6f7383384684c6c8c.jpg

1 hour ago, leafsprings said:

Wow, that was quick. I don't know how you do it, but that is it. Thank you very much. Here are some close up photos of the real 3/4 ton 12" hubcap ( painted version) that might help fine tune it some more. I've always wanted to do a 3/4 ton Chevy camper special with all the recent '72 reissues. The popped out center blue bowtie  shown is '69-'72 ( shown), later  '73-'75. the center was pushed in with a gold bowtie.

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1791.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

I have a few tweeks I can do to it, but at this point I think it is real close. The big issue is that I can add more details, but due to the resolution of even a 4K printer, they just wont show up or will muddle the details that are there. Once printed this hub cap is just under 1/2in. In some cases the paint will be thicker than the details. 

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

This might be kinda "out there", but for us VW fans.....especially the Type 3 variants, I'd LOVE to see the proper air cleaner and fan shroud that those had. It's how these cars had "two" trunks as the lower profile of the fan and air cleaner led to much more space above the engine.

Here are a few pics of it out of a Type 34 Karmann Ghia which will be a project for me in the not too distant future.

Air cleaner........

40-jahre-vw-sp-R-DXS6FB.jpeg.d2a9eb777553bce1f3b79474ee5aca6d.jpeg

Fan shroud........

3f0139a51e1b672038aeb65c37412b2d.jpg.9b78714b7537cee6f7383384684c6c8c.jpg

Oh, ya, this would be interesting to do. I am a big VW fan and had around 36 Aircooled VWs at different times. The top one looks like a pre-67. I had a 67 with the really bad EFI and I changed it out to this set-up with the dual stock carbs. 

Not impossible, but I would need to know what kit is supplying the base engine. All the Beetle kits have different designs and some would just not be open to a conversion like this. 

2 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Oh, ya, this would be interesting to do. I am a big VW fan and had around 36 Aircooled VWs at different times. The top one looks like a pre-67. I had a 67 with the really bad EFI and I changed it out to this set-up with the dual stock carbs. 

Not impossible, but I would need to know what kit is supplying the base engine. All the Beetle kits have different designs and some would just not be open to a conversion like this. 

It would be for Tamiya's 1/24 '66 Karmann Ghia engine. That would be the kit (running gear and chassis) I'd be using to build a 3D printed Karmann Ghia Type 34 I did a few weeks ago. It'll be a bit before I'd get to it........I've got the Shelby to finish up yet, and then there's a resin '77 Cutlass Supreme on deck after that.

Here's a few pics of the Type 34..............

P1017381.JPG.18dc52b143ef15799b06207db170bbc8.JPGP1017382.JPG.ca44d60ab2085119c9516faefa73ef12.JPGP1017380.JPG.9e762a6cf6ce76c76b33f6e59237b697.JPGP1017386.JPG.070f9e45fdb40aca8ca4be5a4b6de3b8.JPG

I've since smoothed out the body where the halves meet, and put it away until it's time to get to it. ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

It would be for Tamiya's 1/24 '66 Karmann Ghia engine. That would be the kit (running gear and chassis) I'd be using to build a 3D printed Karmann Ghia Type 34 I did a few weeks ago. It'll be a bit before I'd get to it........I've got the Shelby to finish up yet, and then there's a resin '77 Cutlass Supreme on deck after that.

Here's a few pics of the Type 34..............

P1017381.JPG.18dc52b143ef15799b06207db170bbc8.JPGP1017382.JPG.ca44d60ab2085119c9516faefa73ef12.JPGP1017380.JPG.9e762a6cf6ce76c76b33f6e59237b697.JPGP1017386.JPG.070f9e45fdb40aca8ca4be5a4b6de3b8.JPG

I've since smoothed out the body where the halves meet, and put it away until it's time to get to it. ;)

You are one that caused me to buy the printer I got. I did not want to have to cut bodies in half to print them. I went as big as I could get. 

Send me some pictures of the engine and I will start thinking about how to go about it. Withou the actual engine, I am not sure I could make it fit right, but I can at least be thinking through the design options. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

You are one that caused me to buy the printer I got. I did not want to have to cut bodies in half to print them. I went as big as I could get. 

Send me some pictures of the engine and I will start thinking about how to go about it. Withou the actual engine, I am not sure I could make it fit right, but I can at least be thinking through the design options. 

This is the best I can do for the moment......I had these at the ready on my hard disc. It was basically the flat four VW engine, but the Type 3's needed a lower height to suit the Squareback wagons and Fastbacks, as well as the Type 34 Ghias.

Yeah, splitting the bodies can be troublesome. You oughta see the REALLY big scales I've seen guys tackle online as far as splitting those! It's not for everyone as the splitting program can be tricky. ;)

3f0139a51e1b672038aeb65c37412b2d.jpg.5e4a1e4a88362b5af8158843ff665f34.jpg6ec4_3.JPG.5a7d216bbca0dc8aced5675489986f43.JPG1017a6a73d8b9c4278d148fa2bc0f669.jpg.cd66293bb10576f029f0ef1a81eb48bf.jpgblkghia-99996.jpg.8b5791093c7e5bfd158a168d1bca8871.jpg

On 4/18/2022 at 6:22 AM, Fat Brian said:

I'd love a Rockwell 5 ton transfer case. I'd be down for probably 20 in 1/25 and another 10 in 1/24. I need good measurements and have no idea where to find one to get them.

1132397506_129_0710_09_zbest_transfer_casest_136_27.jpg.32366ec0a3aca9ae537abf72fab91325.jpg

I have been looking for any kind of dimensions for one of these and have had no luck. If I could even get some basic wide, tall, deep dimensions I could fake the rest, but I have no idea. 

If I assume it is 24in tall, 12in wide and the main box about 8in deep, does that sound close?

Can anyone get any closer dimensions?

You sure have some interesting designs Scott.  One thing about that rim is that you gave it cross section similar to what the 1:1 rims look like.  For model cars the standard kit's rim OD is either flat (with or without small lips), or it has a center ridge if the kit tire has a groove on the inside.  As I see it, flat surface would be more universal.  I suppose one could install a model tire on this rim, but it would be more secure if the rim's OD was flat.

As for the ID diameter of tires, here are some dimensions of American  SATCO rubber tires (many of which were used in Japanese made kits).

Satco01.jpg

23 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Yeah, I've seen that. Would rather spend $15 on an .stl file and print my own than spend $50 to get that one sent here.

I think I saw a lot of the same stl files someplace - the same seller as the 3D parts. If I come across them I’ll post it. 

38 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

I think I saw a lot of the same stl files someplace - the same seller as the 3D parts. If I come across them I’ll post it. 

From what I can tell, he  sources the files and basically provides the printed copies for people. There are a number of engines and other parts on his site that I have purchased files for from the designers.

I just haven't found his 5.0L source yet!

8 hours ago, peteski said:

You sure have some interesting designs Scott.  One thing about that rim is that you gave it cross section similar to what the 1:1 rims look like.  For model cars the standard kit's rim OD is either flat (with or without small lips), or it has a center ridge if the kit tire has a groove on the inside.  As I see it, flat surface would be more universal.  I suppose one could install a model tire on this rim, but it would be more secure if the rim's OD was flat.

As for the ID diameter of tires, here are some dimensions of American  SATCO rubber tires (many of which were used in Japanese made kits).

Satco01.jpg

I am aware of the tire fit issue. I drew it to look good for pictures,  if I print it, it is a quick fix to change in Fusion. 

Some tires are hollow and need the lips, others are solid and don't. When I find the tires I will correct it. 

13 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I have been looking for any kind of dimensions for one of these and have had no luck. If I could even get some basic wide, tall, deep dimensions I could fake the rest, but I have no idea. 

If I assume it is 24in tall, 12in wide and the main box about 8in deep, does that sound close?

Can anyone get any closer dimensions?

Let me try to pull some measurements from a real truck. I've been on vacation this week do I haven't been on my normal routine.

4 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Any goodies coming out for the future wild hoss Bronco coming soon?

Not from me as I know nothing about it. What are you looking for and who makes the kit? Is it another Revell Bronco or is this the old AMT 80's bronco?

On 4/19/2022 at 5:04 PM, leafsprings said:

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1791.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

OK, so I designed a wheel to go with the hub cap. It is made to resemble a 16.5 from a 3/4 ton. What do you think? I would need to know what tires these would go with s I can get an exact outer diameter of the rim. 

Thoughts?

16.5 truck rim v2.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Not from me as I know nothing about it. What are you looking for and who makes the kit? Is it another Revell Bronco or is this the old AMT 80's bronco?

It's the reissue of the old wild hoss 1978 bronco kit. It' supposed to come out this year. 

1 wild hoss.webp