Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for projects, what do you need 3D files for, or printed?

2 hours ago, DrKerry said:

May be a bit more than what you're looking for but what about the new Mack Anthem body parts?

I think that one may be beyond my skills. I would also need something to copy, and I don't have any Mack Trucks available to me. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 5:31 AM, Mike C. said:

How about some kind of differential housing so we can scratch build 1/25 1/25 rears from styrene tubing. 

1 dana dif.jpg

This was not as easy as other things to do. Too many complex curves. I think it is close enough once printed that it will look OK. I will try it and see. Otherwise I have a back up idea. 

I made the hole to fit 3/16 OD tube. About 4.6in in real life.

Dana 60 v1.jpg

Dana 60.jpg

Engine upgrades for the tamiya vw engines would be cool. things like a judson supercharger for the old school guys, twin carb set ups for street and drag and a turbo set up. I can happily send you a engine to work with and it may be parts you can sell on to others as there is a massive lack of early vw tuning parts

12 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Engine upgrades for the tamiya vw engines would be cool. things like a judson supercharger for the old school guys, twin carb set ups for street and drag and a turbo set up. I can happily send you a engine to work with and it may be parts you can sell on to others as there is a massive lack of early vw tuning parts

PM sent

On 5/2/2022 at 11:36 PM, Saltie Olds said:

I’m wanting this style grille for the MPC Deserter kit as a ‘85 to ‘87 full size GM truck and these wheels for the Revell Monogram GM 4x4 trucks.

AECB1DF7-06BC-4C55-8A10-2FE494DEB75E.jpeg

FC4DB872-BD6E-4637-848D-DC189DEB01BD.jpeg

FCBB2402-C682-4963-A1B5-173E4624F348.jpeg

I just wanted to show you the results. I printed both the wheels and the tires. I wanted to show you the differrence between kit tires and the tires in scale you have on your truck. Kit tires are barely a 31-10.50-15

20220506_221956.jpg

1 minute ago, Oldmopars said:

I just wanted to show you the results. I printed both the wheels and the tires. I wanted to show you the differrence between kit tires and the tires in scale you have on your truck. Kit tires are barely a 31-10.50-15

20220506_221956.jpg

That’s Awesome. Big difference between a 31x10.50 and a 35x12.50.

A few completed prints. 

33-12.50 16.5 on white wagon wheels

20in Saltflat custom wheels

dana 60ish center sections for making your own axles. 

Heavy truck driven front axle for 6x6 conversons, for use with the Rockwell T138 T-Case.

20220507_170553.jpg

20220507_170538.jpg

20220507_170507.jpg

20220507_170454.jpg

20220507_170439.jpg

20220507_170428.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 9:25 AM, iamsuperdan said:

From what I can tell, he  sources the files and basically provides the printed copies for people. There are a number of engines and other parts on his site that I have purchased files for from the designers.

I just haven't found his 5.0L source yet!

This is somewhat true, some of my stuff is sourced some is not. You won't find my Flathead out there or some of the parts on my 572 or LS3. Oh and my engine files that I pay for are not $15 STL files, the Coyote files I bought that were no where near ready for 3D printing and took 20+ hours in 3DS Max to make the files I have cost over a hundred dollars US each.

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs
  • Like 1

Any interest in drawing these up? They are from an old Aurora 1/32 show rod, but I need them in 1/25, and sized to fit a certain set of tires. I can get the ID and depth of the tires if you decide you'd like to do them. They probably have some heavy truck applications too. It may be hard to tell from the pics but the spokes have a slight dish (concave) effect to them.

image.png.4d762fce86775ed1e6080385ace77a1f.png

2v2aFtPbrxuy9t.jpg

Just whippin' eggs here:

- Corrected chassis for the MPC 1971-1976 Dart Sport-Duster-Demon. The front wheelbase is noticeably off side-to-side on every issue of that kit, dating to its 1971 origins. Eliminate the mouled-on driveshaft and exhaust extensions, too. 

- Non-console interior tub for same. Separate arm rests; a bench seat for the front. Include a 4-speed 'tunnel'. 

- Bench seat interior with base model upholstery pattern for the Monogram 1971 Satellite/ GTX. 

- 904 & 727 transmissions with separate oil pans, 1/24 and 1/25.

Thanks much for any considerations.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:06 PM, Oldmopars said:

OK, I like this idea. I have been wanting to make a Ford 170-300 CID inline 6 for a while. While I know they are different, all the Ford inline engines will be similar. I will start working on it this week. 

Will you please notify me when this becomes available?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 12:23 PM, Khils said:

Will you please notify me when this becomes available?

I am currently working on a very special Ford engine right now that should be available soon from Texas 3D Customs. After that the inline Fords and 302/5.0 will be on the list. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 10:56 AM, 1972coronet said:

Just whippin' eggs here:

- Corrected chassis for the MPC 1971-1976 Dart Sport-Duster-Demon. The front wheelbase is noticeably off side-to-side on every issue of that kit, dating to its 1971 origins. Eliminate the mouled-on driveshaft and exhaust extensions, too. 

- Non-console interior tub for same. Separate arm rests; a bench seat for the front. Include a 4-speed 'tunnel'. 

- Bench seat interior with base model upholstery pattern for the Monogram 1971 Satellite/ GTX. 

- 904 & 727 transmissions with separate oil pans, 1/24 and 1/25.

Thanks much for any considerations.

Is the MPC Demon Dart Sport kit still available? Or is it out of production? Will the current Duster chassis fit it? They are the same car. 

At this point I need to spend my time on things that are needed by a larger number of people. To spend 50 hours on a complete chassis for an out of production kit is not a good use of my time. And, if there is a reasonable alternative out there, it is not worth it at all. 

The 904/727, now that is a good idea. 

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Is the MPC Demon Dart Sport kit still available?

It's very much still available, having been reissued in its 1976 annual guise a few years ago. Ne'er-the-less, I agree with your sentiment: why spend a bunch of time creating components for a kit which is OOP or has little interest.

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

It's very much still available, having been reissued in its 1976 annual guise a few years ago. Ne'er-the-less, I agree with your sentiment: why spend a bunch of time creating components for a kit which is OOP or has little interest.

A modeler could use the chassis out of the AMT 71 Duster kit which would be a lot easier.I would rather see a conversion to do a 73-74 Dart Sport for the AMT 76 Dart kit.

• Like 1

How about a proper 26/27 T roadster body and interior? In my opinion those would SELL. The resin body that has been available (and I believe copied by other vendors) is decent, but due to the shape of the interior leaves the builder to scratchbuild or just not do one. Even better if it was designed to fit the new Revell A frame. Coupe body w/interior would be cool too

image.png.136b738130b83c14aac42e2b17d574d7.png

image.png.2555661617dfe9f3af52bdef832ba517.png

Edited by Mr. Metallic

On 4/19/2022 at 12:06 AM, Oldmopars said:

How is this? 12in 3/4ton hub cap. Not perfect but once painted and in this small scale I think it should be close. The hub cap has a few more details, but in this scale I am not sure they would show up. BTW, this was a fun one to figure out. 

Chevy Hubcap V2.jpg

One of the problems I've seen with 3D printed hubcaps/wheelcovers is that they tend to be TOO accurate. If there is an area that needs to be painted black, for instance, the depth should be exaggerated to make it paintable. On this hubcap, if one had to paint around the bowtie or the radial depressions, it would be difficult to do with everything in scale. If you plated this and THEN had to paint those areas, it might be impossible. The rendering sure looks good, though. I HAVE to learn this skill...

This grille would be MUCH appreciated. Iceman sells no less than 7 variations of square body grilles on ebay, but does not offer this one! Single headlight with parking light below seems to be unloved by others!

87 grille (Medium).jpeg

Edited by bisc63
added info