Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for projects, what do you need 3D files for, or printed?

12 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

OK, steps. I may have to get some dimensions from a real step to get the scale spot on, but they are proportionally correct.  

Step for trucks v1.jpg

Those are the ones...

The Brown script is 10 inches long on one to one scale..  Rivets on trailer are two inches apart..

Thank you much!!

Would you by any chance be able to make a camper shell? Looking for this for my AMT Dodge Ram 2500. I have a lot more photos and measurements for how it is supposed to fit on the truck bed. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 10.37.05 PM.png

Edited by av405

3 minutes ago, av405 said:

Would you by any chance be able to make a camper shell? Looking for this for my AMT Dodge Ram 2500. I have a lot more photos and measurements for how it is supposed to fit on the truck bed. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 10.37.05 PM.png

I think the best possible scenario would be to send me the bed, preferably primered first, have me scan it and send those scans to Scott, if he wants to do it.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to Scott Solomon  @Oldmopars for the great design work he did on these wheels for me. They will enable me to finally get started on a special project I've had my eye on for years. The design is spot on for the prototype, and he didn't even have prints to work on, it was a piece of artwork, and not even a straight on look, it was at an angle.

And the print is beautiful. No evidence of stepping on the face, which is the most important thing.

On 6/3/2022 at 5:01 PM, Tabbysdaddy said:

I think it would be cool to have more grille options for the AMT Chevy van.20220603_195704.thumb.jpg.69a80195e39b922bede8dc3894c30eb8.jpg

A possibility,  as the rest of the van is the same different grill would allow different years to be built. 

I will add it to my list. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:33 AM, av405 said:

I could definitely do that if it would make things easier. 

So, I would be more than happy to design it, there is no way I would print it. I have not had a lot of luck with large flat objects. 

Designing it would be no problem. I can send you the file an you find someone to print it for you. 

7 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

So, I would be more than happy to design it, there is no way I would print it. I have not had a lot of luck with large flat objects. 

Designing it would be no problem. I can send you the file an you find someone to print it for you. 

Fair enough, thank you. What would you need from me to create the design?

1 hour ago, av405 said:

Fair enough, thank you. What would you need from me to create the design?

I would need photos of what you want the topper to look like, and dimensions of the bed you want it on. So, length, width of bed. Height of topper. Photos of any details that are important. Please be exact and in Millimeters. Without having the bed in hand, I will rely on you for these dimensions.  

On 6/3/2022 at 7:12 AM, DrKerry said:

Those are the ones...

The Brown script is 10 inches long on one to one scale..  Rivets on trailer are two inches apart..

Thank you much!!

OK, I drew it 5in, but can change it to 10. Easy fix. 

Were you wanting them, or just a suggestion for others?

1 minute ago, Oldmopars said:

I would need photos of what you want the topper to look like, and dimensions of the bed you want it on. So, length, width of bed. Height of topper. Photos of any details that are important. Please be exact and in Millimeters. Without having the bed in hand, I will rely on you for these dimensions.  

Do you think a scan would be more useful? I can print it as long as the walls are thick enough 

8 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Do you think a scan would be more useful? I can print it as long as the walls are thick enough 

Either would be fine. It seems the topper is just a rectangle and as long as I have the right size it should be fine. 

9 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

OK, I drew it 5in, but can change it to 10. Easy fix. 

Were you wanting them, or just a suggestion for others?

I'd be interested in them for sure.. Building the Bear rig myself.. I can send my addy to you..

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

Either would be fine. It seems the topper is just a rectangle and as long as I have the right size it should be fine. 

If you think it's fine without the scan then that's fine, I don't know how detailed the models are, I was just thinking of things like on a real truck with the holes you have in a bed for mounting things and contours. 

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

1 hour ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

If you think it's fine without the scan then that's fine, I don't know how detailed the models are, I was just thinking of things like on a real truck with the holes you have in a bed for mounting things and contours. 

I will send Charles the bed for scanning. It sounds like that would be the most accurate option. Plus I figure if he's offering to print, it would also help even more. Charles, I have sent you a PM. 

Another question: How easy is it to make bumpers for existing kits? I was specifically thinking of these two to make base model bumpers for the kits. I could also provide the kits for scanning if that would help.

800px-1997F250_Drivers_side_corner.jpg

136945546_10223636428564057_2417529874800122242_o.jpg

3 hours ago, av405 said:

I will send Charles the bed for scanning. It sounds like that would be the most accurate option. Plus I figure if he's offering to print, it would also help even more. Charles, I have sent you a PM. 

Another question: How easy is it to make bumpers for existing kits? I was specifically thinking of these two to make base model bumpers for the kits. I could also provide the kits for scanning if that would help.

800px-1997F250_Drivers_side_corner.jpg

136945546_10223636428564057_2417529874800122242_o.jpg

The truck bumper is easy, the Taurus much harder. 

On 4/17/2022 at 7:45 PM, Oldmopars said:

Let me start by saying that I am not looking to start a new business. I have a full time job. I am however getting into the 3D printing rather deeply and I am learning Fusion 360. I will post some pictures on stuff I have made. 

What would you like to see available? An engine not in kits form? Wheels that are different or not in kits? Tool boxes, fuel tanks, winches, etc?

Let me know what you want to see made and send me a picture if you can. I will be working on this stuff in the evenings while I am at hotels for work, so this gives me something to do. And yes, I am in hotels every week 4 nights. 

If it is something that I think will be popular I will post it on Cults for a small fee, but free to the one who asks for it. Simple stuff I will just post on Cults for free. 

If you need it printed I can do that, but because I am only home on the weekends, you will need to be patient. 

So, what would you like?

2 hole wheels 20in v1.png

Spoked Wheels v3.png

detroit v14.png

I'm looking for some 69 Cougar dog dish caps😁

69 comet cougar dog dish.jpg

2 hours ago, fairlane1320 said:

I'm looking for some 69 Cougar dog dish caps😁

69 comet cougar dog dish.jpg

So, a few things.

1. I would need Dimensions, diameter and thickness. An angled photo would also help get the contours right. 

2. The Mercury I can draw, but will just not print very readable. In real life 1:1 those look to be less than a 1/4 in. That would put them at .01in or .25mm tall, that will be very small and likely only readable with a magnifying glass. 

3. I would be happy to draw them up for you. I could post them on my Cults3D site and you can get them there. The file would be free. 

Edited by Oldmopars

What do you guys think about a 4x4 conversion for AMT/MPC’s line of GMT 400 kits? Accupro made one for that generation of trucks years ago, but it’s really hard to find. Front axle, suspension, transfer case, etc 9E09111D-D2AB-4378-9593-10A6A5955802.jpeg.3c2a8da5698afc40894a2a42d10e0f69.jpeg

While at it, I’d like to put a plug in for an accurate, open, grille for the 1/25 82-86 F Series/Bronco. The MPC version is too shallow and lacking in detail.8DA2BAF8-697B-47E1-A192-43D45719170E.jpeg.02afca6c4efbb9c69271c6b2238a1921.jpeg

Edited by vincen47

4 hours ago, vincen47 said:

What do you guys think about a 4x4 conversion for AMT/MPC’s line of GMT 400 kits? Accupro made one for that generation of trucks years ago, but it’s really hard to find. Front axle, suspension, transfer case, etc 9E09111D-D2AB-4378-9593-10A6A5955802.jpeg.3c2a8da5698afc40894a2a42d10e0f69.jpeg

While at it, I’d like to put a plug in for an accurate, open, grille for the 1/25 82-86 F Series/Bronco. The MPC version is too shallow and lacking in detail.8DA2BAF8-697B-47E1-A192-43D45719170E.jpeg.02afca6c4efbb9c69271c6b2238a1921.jpeg

I agree on the Ford grilles, one for the Monogram Bronco would be nice as well. The best shape of any 80-86 Ford grille is from the 1/25 Revell snap kits. A copy of that with this center in both scales would be amazing.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 5:40 AM, vincen47 said:

What do you guys think about a 4x4 conversion for AMT/MPC’s line of GMT 400 kits? Accupro made one for that generation of trucks years ago, but it’s really hard to find. Front axle, suspension, transfer case, etc 

While at it, I’d like to put a plug in for an accurate, open, grille for the 1/25 82-86 F Series/Bronco. The MPC version is too shallow and lacking in detail.

I'd get both.