Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for projects, what do you need 3D files for, or printed?

On 6/15/2022 at 6:05 AM, Mike C. said:

Any news on the '73-'75 Ford Pickup grills?

Yes, I have been working on it. It's just not right yet. 

I find that some projects are beyond my current skills, but if I keep working and learning I will gain the skills to return to a project that stumped me. I only started doing this February of this year. Never used any CAD prior to that. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:36 PM, bisc63 said:

This grille would be MUCH appreciated. Iceman sells no less than 7 variations of square body grilles on ebay, but does not offer this one! Single headlight with parking light below seems to be unloved by others!

87 grille (Medium).jpeg

I've been meaning to model this for a long time, but just haven't got around to it. I have a Blazer I plan to build that needs this grille version, so unless someone beats me to it (and I can just buy one), I'll eventually model it. You're right that the "single headlight with parking light" version doesn't get any love!!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 6:05 AM, Mike C. said:

Any news on the '73-'75 Ford Pickup grills?

OK, Good news, well kind of. I made some progress on the grill. I am going to try to print it and see if it comes out anything close to what I want. There will need to be some slight hand finishing as I just could not get the curves at the outer edges right, but as it is resin, sanding will be super easy and take less time than me beating my head on the wall getting fusion to make it right. 

It is currently 7 parts. 2 turn signals, 2 headlights, 2 grill inserts and 1 main grill shell. This will make it much easier to paint. Sorry, the FORD letters are just too small to print separately, but have a nice recess for paint.  

I am going to put it on the printer this weekend I hope. 

73 grill v4.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 8:36 PM, bisc63 said:

This grille would be MUCH appreciated. Iceman sells no less than 7 variations of square body grilles on ebay, but does not offer this one! Single headlight with parking light below seems to be unloved by others!

87 grille (Medium).jpeg

I would be in for a couple of these. Z Force Modelworx used to offer some different grilles for the 85-87 GM trucks but they are the quad headlight trim option. I have one to donate to the cause if needed.

• Like 1

How about some large diameter Buick rally wheels like these?

This is the seamless "Wildcat" design front only used with the full size car bolt pattern, not the Skylark/GS type.

Could be done in 19" and 21" diameter to use the Pegasus tires. 

This would be cool to have available for those Riviera and other full size Buick kits AMT makes. Possibly even have a mounting boss on the back with a hole the right size to accept regular metal axles.

Wildcat - US727

Wildcat - US727

Wildcat - US727

Edited by Can-Con

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

How about some large diameter Buick rally wheels like these?

This is the seamless "Wildcat" design front only used with the full size car bolt pattern, not the Skylark/GS type.

Could be done in 19" and 21" diameter to use the Pegasus tires. 

This would be cool to have available for those Riviera and other full size Buick kits AMT makes. Possibly even have a mounting boss on the back with a hole the right size to accept regular metal axles.

Wildcat - US727

Wildcat - US727

Wildcat - US727

I print wheels and tires I have some Bonneville wheels but not exactly those. I might bring back the salt flats though. My tires are printed in rubber resin so no need to buy pegasus tires. Zforcemodelworx is my wheel guy for reference.

18 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I would be in for a couple of these. Z Force Modelworx used to offer some different grilles for the 85-87 GM trucks but they are the quad headlight trim option. I have one to donate to the cause if needed.

If you already have a grill I can scan it, if it's from Ryan I can just get the file from him.

On 6/19/2022 at 11:01 AM, Oldmopars said:

Yes, I have been working on it. It's just not right yet. 

I find that some projects are beyond my current skills, but if I keep working and learning I will gain the skills to return to a project that stumped me. I only started doing this February of this year. Never used any CAD prior to that. 

Really what are you having trouble doing? I am shocked you hit a wall on something.

13 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Really what are you having trouble doing? I am shocked you hit a wall on something.

Multiple compound curves of the grill are a challenge,  but I think I have it figured out. Now if I can get ot to print right. 

11 minutes ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

You can always punt to me if needed, not trying to steal your thunder though

I may just do that. Between your skills and knowledge,  plus better resins, I think you can get it to print right. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:02 PM, wayne00 said:

I am in the market for semi roof top air deflectors.

PIE Prototype 1.jpg

Like the one pictured above.

I have no idea how hard they would be to recreate.

I would be down for 5 or 6, price depending.

Rog😁

Those would be rather easy to make, I can add it to the list, but as I have said, I design, I don't print. So, I can create them and you will need to print them or find someone that can. 

I work out of town 5 days a week and like to spend time with my family when I am home. This leaves no time to b printing stuff other than some test prints for project to verify they are right or stuff for my own projects. I design while in hotels on the road. 

This picture below took me about 3 minutes to draw. I would need some dimensions to make it accurate, but super easy to do. 

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars