Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for projects, what do you need 3D files for, or printed?

17 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

It's somewhat different but not that far off, I question the demand for it though. I barely sell any of the W series.

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs
Answering the wrong person

16 hours ago, AlbertS said:

If you were responding to me, regarding the GMC v-6, if you could show me a picture, if it is close, I would like to order at least 3, thx

So, the issue in making these engines it a lack of demand. 

I work with Texas_3D_Customs doing some design work. Drawing up an engine can take 40-100 hours to draw. Then it has to be checked, tweaked, rechecked, etc. 

To put this kind of labor into an engine that will only sell a few copies is not a wise use of time and efforts. 

It is a cool engine, but only works in a couple of kits. Not likely going happen. Sorry. 

37 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

So, the issue in making these engines it a lack of demand. 

I work with Texas_3D_Customs doing some design work. Drawing up an engine can take 40-100 hours to draw. Then it has to be checked, tweaked, rechecked, etc. 

To put this kind of labor into an engine that will only sell a few copies is not a wise use of time and efforts. 

It is a cool engine, but only works in a couple of kits. Not likely going happen. Sorry. 

Even then sometimes engines that you think will do well flop, but to go into a project knowing that it won't sell is a bad decision unless the party interested is willing to cough up a large sum of money to cover the design time.

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Oldriginal86 said:

I’ve stated this in other threads that with the popularity of the Jeep TJ kits, there is a need for a 4.0L inline 6 engine. I’m not sure why most of the new Jeep kits are curbside other then them being based off of a die cast.

I think that's where the problem lies. If the kits are curbside then most people won't buy an engine to put in it. This is at least the problem I face selling JDM engines.

12 minutes ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I think that's where the problem lies. If the kits are curbside then most people won't buy an engine to put in it. This is at least the problem I face selling JDM engines.

Speaking for myself, i would buy more jdm engines if engine bays were available as well. or at least the top parts you can see as they tend to look wrong when fitted to the kit chassis without the suspension top mounts and other parts you see under the hood

13 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Speaking for myself, i would buy more jdm engines if engine bays were available as well. or at least the top parts you can see as they tend to look wrong when fitted to the kit chassis without the suspension top mounts and other parts you see under the hood

This is a whole nother problem to much time spent for limited returns. I would have to design or have one designed as I don't have time, for each model kit that wants to be done

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

The problem with that is that the designer would have to have one of every likely kit. This again is a huge investment for ver little return. 

Only one o see as a possibility is not JDM, but the AMT 59 Caddy/Ghostbusters car. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

This is a whole nother problem to much time spent for limited returns. I would have to design or have one designed as I don't have time, for each model kit that wants to be done

1 minute ago, Oldmopars said:

The problem with that is that the designer would have to have one of every likely kit. This again is a huge investment for ver little return. 

Only one o see as a possibility is not JDM, but the AMT 59 Caddy/Ghostbusters car. 

no worries guys, they'll still make a change of hotrod engine

27 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

This I could see being viable or any non F&F movie car.

This might be a long shot, but how about decent 1/32 wheels & tires for the Revell/Monogram snap rigs & trailers?  I know those kits are supposed to be for kids, but when a "big kid" wants to build one, the wheels & tires are a real draw back.

25 minutes ago, Jim B said:

This might be a long shot, but how about decent 1/32 wheels & tires for the Revell/Monogram snap rigs & trailers?  I know those kits are supposed to be for kids, but when a "big kid" wants to build one, the wheels & tires are a real draw back.

I already make some 1/32 wheels and tires 

24 minutes ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I already make some 1/32 wheels and tires 

You do?  Didn't know that.  

Checked your Website, and didn't see them.  All I saw was race car stuff, not heavy truck tires.

Edited by Jim B

38 minutes ago, Jim B said:

You do?  Didn't know that.  

Checked your Website, and didn't see them.  All I saw was race car stuff, not heavy truck tires.

Sorry misread the post I didn't get the rigs part. Wouldn't be hard honestly though I wonder about how viable they would be.

2 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Sorry misread the post I didn't get the rigs part. Wouldn't be hard honestly though I wonder about how viable they would be.

Not a big deal.  You really do beautiful work.

Viability?  Now there's the question.  There really aren't that many 1/32 rig kits currently on the market, and there aren't that many people who build them.  I don't know how difficult (and economical) it would be to have wheels & tires in 1/25, but also have them scaled down to 1/32 or up to 1/16.

On 7/4/2022 at 2:17 PM, Jim B said:

Not a big deal.  You really do beautiful work.

Viability?  Now there's the question.  There really aren't that many 1/32 rig kits currently on the market, and there aren't that many people who build them.  I don't know how difficult (and economical) it would be to have wheels & tires in 1/25, but also have them scaled down to 1/32 or up to 1/16.

To make things simple, everything is drawn in 1:1 and then scaled down in the slicer. So, a wheel set could be made and sold in any scale you like. The issue would be that the kit tires may not fit perfectly as these would be scaled from a 1:1, not scaled to the kit tires. Who knows how close the kit tires are to the real thing?

I would be a +1 for alternative AMT Chevy van grills.  I bought a GMC van grill file off Cults that was not intended to be used for this purpose, and have been playing around printing it in different sizes and proportions trying to get it to work.  I would love to buy the proper file, or possibly several grills.

-2.jpeg

-4.jpeg

-3.jpeg

-5.jpeg

-6.jpeg