Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for projects, what do you need 3D files for, or printed?


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

OK, so I designed a wheel to go with the hub cap. It is made to resemble a 16.5 from a 3/4 ton. What do you think? I would need to know what tires these would go with s I can get an exact outer diameter of the rim. 

Thoughts?

16.5 truck rim v2.jpg

Looks good, your making a lot of progress, thanks again for your effort. The only 16.5 tire offered by AMT was in the Ford F 350 Super Camper Special kit in the mid 70's, shown in photo, a Goodyear custom hi miller bias ply highway tread  9.50-16.5.  The rim diameter appears to be around 3/4". Sorry, don't have a micrometer.  A tire, wheel and hubcap package would be awesome,  we could build the truck in the photos.

 

 

 

 

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1801.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1794.JPG

Edited by leafsprings
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just came across this post and figured my 2 cents might be of interest. How about the Novi Indy car engine in 1/25th scale?

Another possibility- the Stuart Hilborn streamliner body, as well as the prototype fuel injection system for the 21 stud flathead (first hotrod to run 150mph).

 

4cf606626873b6beeb4108babd70810a.jpg

1017385306-SUT-19630530-63009_28.jpg

1017385315-SUT-19630530-63009_30.jpg

2fuelinjectorWM.jpeg

135_0506_gnrs_18_z.jpeg

245510-stu2.jpg

DSC02098-vi.jpg

Edited by Paul Payne
wrong photo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2022 at 7:43 PM, Bowtienutz said:

1/25 scale seated Race drivers,  and passengers, dogs, 1/35 scale seated passengers for the Roden greyhound bus. 2wd suspension for AMT chevy/blazer,GMC Jimmy

 

I was going to do the 2wd Suspension for the Jimmy/Blazer. However, in the real world it is very common to swap 73-87 front suspension into 63-71 Chevy/GMC trucks. It is almost a straight bolt on swap that give disk brakes and a 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern. So, in the 1/25 world, swapping the Revell 1965/6 Chevy front suspension would be very accurate. The only differences are things that do not show up in 1/25 scale. See this article to start: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=5221

As you can see from the pictures below, the Revell 66 Chevy frame is a great fit for the AMT Jimmy/Blazer. Graft the back of the Jimmy on the front of the 66 Revell frame and you are in the money. 

Now, if you need a crazy lowered set-up for running 26in wheels, that is going to be all custom.  

20220422_180548.jpg

20220422_180544.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Just came across this post and figured my 2 cents might be of interest. How about the Novi Indy car engine in 1/25th scale?

Another possibility- the Stuart Hilborn streamliner body, as well as the prototype fuel injection system for the 21 stud flathead (first hotrod to run 150mph).

 

 

 

Those are cool!

I would vote for an Offenhauser too - can’t find a decent file for one of those ANYWHERE and it’s a fairly significant engine in automotive history to have been overlooked so far.  I’d be first in line for one of those!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2022 at 10:36 PM, CabDriver said:

Those are cool!

I would vote for an Offenhauser too - can’t find a decent file for one of those ANYWHERE and it’s a fairly significant engine in automotive history to have been overlooked so far.  I’d be first in line for one of those!

 

Get me good pictures, including specs, dimensions and I will give it a go. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2022 at 3:05 AM, MrObsessive said:

This is the best I can do for the moment......I had these at the ready on my hard disc. It was basically the flat four VW engine, but the Type 3's needed a lower height to suit the Squareback wagons and Fastbacks, as well as the Type 34 Ghias.

Yeah, splitting the bodies can be troublesome. You oughta see the REALLY big scales I've seen guys tackle online as far as splitting those! It's not for everyone as the splitting program can be tricky. ;)

3f0139a51e1b672038aeb65c37412b2d.jpg.5e4a1e4a88362b5af8158843ff665f34.jpg6ec4_3.JPG.5a7d216bbca0dc8aced5675489986f43.JPG1017a6a73d8b9c4278d148fa2bc0f669.jpg.cd66293bb10576f029f0ef1a81eb48bf.jpgblkghia-99996.jpg.8b5791093c7e5bfd158a168d1bca8871.jpg

that a type 4 engine. you would be better starting with the engine from the revell t3 camper/bus kits

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2022 at 3:08 AM, vincen47 said:

As Erik Smith posted, Iceman has the ‘15-17 and the ‘11-12 Gen 1 Coyote engine available. Maybe this is will help.
icemancollections.com

Visit clearlyscale.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2022 at 12:38 AM, Oldmopars said:

I have been looking for any kind of dimensions for one of these and have had no luck. If I could even get some basic wide, tall, deep dimensions I could fake the rest, but I have no idea. 

If I assume it is 24in tall, 12in wide and the main box about 8in deep, does that sound close?

Can anyone get any closer dimensions?

Ok, I finally got back to work today and pulled some measurements from a 5 ton truck. The case is a little different than the one I posted the pic of, there are several different Rockwell cases. The truck I measured today has a Rockwell T138 transfer case. It's 24" from tip to tip diagonally so around 20 inches tall in this orientation. It's 12" across the middle of the case but you can see its kind if an odd shape. The main part if the case is 15" thick with the bolted on outputs raised up about half an inch. Here us a link to more pics..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T138-ROCKWELL-TRANSFER-CASE-TC138-5-TON-TRUCK-/262854352111?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

1798464979_s-l300(2).jpg.4010b37f0e1b4c9f9baaec29ab07a855.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

Ok, I finally got back to work today and pulled some measurements from a 5 ton truck. The case is a little different than the one I posted the pic of, there are several different Rockwell cases. The truck I measured today has a Rockwell T138 transfer case. It's 24" from tip to tip diagonally so around 20 inches tall in this orientation. It's 12" across the middle of the case but you can see its kind if an odd shape. The main part if the case is 15" thick with the bolted on outputs raised up about half an inch. Here us a link to more pics..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T138-ROCKWELL-TRANSFER-CASE-TC138-5-TON-TRUCK-/262854352111?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

1798464979_s-l300(2).jpg.4010b37f0e1b4c9f9baaec29ab07a855.jpg

Well, here is the beginnings.

Untitled.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Well, here is the beginnings.

Untitled.jpg

That looks great. And it doesn't have to be perfect because it's going to be underneath the trucks anyway. There's just nothing even remotely similar out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1st 700 Quad said:

I'd like to see "Non-Skid" treaded Model T tires for the AMT Model T kits. 

64-54450.webp

64-54450-a1.webp

257-805800.jpg

I would be willing to try, however, as I am finding there are just some details too small to effectively print. I first off would need some very exact dimensions of the tire, second, I can only print with hard resin right now. There are "rubber like" resins out there, but the cost is 2X regular resin. 1000g is $94. I would not be printing any of those for free. 

What I am learning is that I can draw anything in Fusion (almost) and as my skills improve I can do even better stuff. However there is a limit to what can be printed. I am also finding that sometimes things need to be inaccurate so they will print or look OK. When you look at the molded parts in a kit, most fine details are not there and they are made to be molded. 

With that I am finding it is better for me to "represent" a part, then to accurately replicate a part. Many details are just not scale-able to 1:25. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

That looks great. And it doesn't have to be perfect because it's going to be underneath the trucks anyway. There's just nothing even remotely similar out there.

Here it is in all its glory. One Rockwell T-138 Transfer case. I took some liberties as I only had a few pictures and very rough dimensions to work from. However I figure sitting under a 1:25 scale truck, it is better than anything that would have been injection molded from AMT/MPC. 

I did not recreate the splines for the input shafts, I figure scale driveshafts will have pins into the holes, 2mm. 

I also had some fun with the numbers. One should be easy to figure out, let me know if you know what the other one means. 

Transfercase v3.1.jpg

Transfercase v3.2.jpg

Transfercase v3.3.jpg

Transfercase v3.4.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Here it is in all its glory. One Rockwell T-138 Transfer case. I took some liberties as I only had a few pictures and very rough dimensions to work from. However I figure sitting under a 1:25 scale truck, it is better than anything that would have been injection molded from AMT/MPC. 

I did not recreate the splines for the input shafts, I figure scale driveshafts will have pins into the holes, 2mm. 

I also had some fun with the numbers. One should be easy to figure out, let me know if you know what the other one means. 

Transfercase v3.1.jpg

Transfercase v3.2.jpg

Transfercase v3.3.jpg

Transfercase v3.4.jpg

Is it a Van Halen reference? That works for me. Can you print them too or do I upload to Shapeways and print them myself?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Fat Brian said:

Is it a Van Halen reference? That works for me. Can you print them too or do I upload to Shapeways and print them myself?

Yes, Van Halen. I guess that shows what generation we are from.  The numbers on the reference photos were unreadable, so I made up my own. Its not like they will really be big enough to read anyway. 

As I am going to want a few of these for projects of my own, I will try to print a few this week and send them your way. PM me your address. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Yes, Van Halen. I guess that shows what generation we are from.  The numbers on the reference photos were unreadable, so I made up my own. Its not like they will really be big enough to read anyway. 

As I am going to want a few of these for projects of my own, I will try to print a few this week and send them your way. PM me your address. 

I'm a little on the young end for Van Halen but was into guitar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2022 at 3:42 PM, Fat Brian said:

I'm a little on the young end for Van Halen but was into guitar.

Here is one of the first batch. Sorry about the quick pictures, they are at a bad angle and don't show proper size. 

20220428_070750.jpg

20220428_070755.jpg

20220428_070944.jpg

20220428_070955.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Here is one of the first batch. Sorry about the quick pictures, they are at a bad angle and don't show proper size. 

20220428_070750.jpg

20220428_070755.jpg

20220428_070944.jpg

20220428_070955.jpg

Those look amazing, thank you for doing that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We, a request was made for a Offenhauser Engine. Here it is. I used a Blueprint scaled to the right size and imported into Fusion. I then built the parts over the top of the Blueprint. So, it is as close to correct as I can get. 

 

Offy v4.jpg

Offy v4.2.jpg

Offy v4.3.jpg

Offy v4.4.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you do a 22.5"  wheel and tire for the 1/16th Pete's and Kenworth's? I have a project in mind and I don't like the 24" lp's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...