Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's a GOOD "Replacement" for Denatured Alcohol ??

I went to purchase some denatured alcohol at one of the local 'home improvement' stores (name doesn't matter), only to find that stupid California banned it a few years ago. 

I use it as a brush cleaner (Tamiya paints primarily) as it's (or was) cheaper than Tamiya's equivalent  --- now I'm SOL with that alternative.

So, what is a GOOD "replacement" for this now-evil cleaner? 

Thanks.

Probably anything that actually works is banned in California.

Lacquer thinner will work...if you can get it.

If you're reasonably close to Arizona, you can get pretty much anything.

91-98% isopropyl, if you can buy it, might do it (depending on the specific paint), but will probably take longer to dissolve whatever you want to dissolve.

Barring that, Google is your friend...

https://www.painttalk.com/threads/denatured-alcohol-substitutes-for-dissolving-and-cleaning-shellac.97819/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Lacquer thinner will work...if you can get it.

If you're reasonably close to Arizona, you can get pretty much anything.

1.) I'd thought about buying that (or was it acetone?), but I ostensibly hesitated. I do all of my brush-painting indoors (apartment life)  and lacquer thinner & acetone are pretty pungent.

2.) I'll be travelling to Arizona around 27 May for my friends' wedding (Arizona's border is pretty far away from where I reside). I'll have to grab a few different chemicals that this stupid state hath banned (i.e., real brake cleaner, etc.). 

Thanks much for your input and advice!

1 hour ago, AMT68 said:

I've successfully used 91% Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning brushes when using Tamiya X-26 clear orange acrylic. I haven't used any other brushable Tamiya paints so not sure if the info helps. 

i have washed my brushes since the 80's in plan warm water under the faucet when i use clear orange or red acrylic and still using them..

• Thanks 1

Isopropyl may be had to get. Many use it to clean resin off of 3D prints and it has been hard to find due to the "pandemic". For a while it was just not available at all. 

I love MEK, but the sell is every bit as bad as the other stinky options. 

My understanding is that in Ca lacquer thinner from hardware stores is actually nearly 100% acetone. That's just an aside.

I clean up Tamiya acrylic with hot water or with IPA 91% . With brushes I think even the 70% would work. Around here I'm finding some 91 here and there finally. For a long time we only had 70 but I had plenty of both IPA and denatured alcohol in my stash anyway. Been about a year now since I looked but Amazon even then had both 91 and 98% in stock. Being a prime member it was with so called free shipping.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 12:23 PM, 1972coronet said:

2.) I'll be travelling to Arizona around 27 May for my friends' wedding (Arizona's border is pretty far away from where I reside). I'll have to grab a few different chemicals that this stupid state hath banned (i.e., real brake cleaner, etc.). 

Thanks much for your input and advice!

You should head over a bit early, the Desert Scale Classic model contest is this weekend. 🙂

• Thanks 1