Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/50 Scale Display Vignette

tiking

Just completed a display diorama for a customer. The scale display, is 1.2m x 0.40m x 0.40m in dimension. It is mostly for displaying 1:50 scale truck models, at exhibitions. I have come a long way and have done a lot of home made rock molds and scratch build details. I've even included handles that would make it easier to managed when moving it around. I also tried to make it as sturdy as possible, as it will be moving around quite a lot. I will also be weathering the truck combo you see on the display. I just used it to take photos of the layout in its entirety. Hope Tobias and Fredrik like it. I tried to mimic new/old patch roads, after many years of heavy traffic across this region, especially by truck drivers. The truck will be weathered with some heavy dust, so I am going to give it a try using an airbrush. Not my strongest side, but in this scale and weathering 'Middle Eastern weathering on trucks, an airbrush is the only way to go.

_trucking_display_with_truck12-vi.jpg

t_trucking_display_with_truck4-vi.jpg

t_trucking_display_with_truck5-vi.jpg

t_trucking_display_with_truck6-vi.jpg

t_trucking_display_with_truck3-vi.jpg

t_trucking_display_with_truck7-vi.jpg

t_trucking_display_with_truck8-vi.jpg

t_trucking_display_with_truck9-vi.jpg

_trucking_display_with_truck10-vi.jpg

_trucking_display_with_truck13-vi.jpg

_trucking_display_with_truck14-vi.jpg

_trucking_display_with_truck15-vi.jpg

_trucking_display_with_truck17-vi.jpg

trucking_display_with_truck17a-vi.jpg

_trucking_display_with_truck18-vi.jpg

_trucking_display_with_truck19-vi.jpg

-------------------------------

_trucking_display_with_truck22-vi.jpg
middle_east_trucking_display2-vi.jpg
middle_east_trucking_display3-vi.jpg

Excellent work, especially in such a small scale.  I think if I were driving that particular stretch of roadway I would prefer a sturdier guardrail. If you can accomplish such perfection as this diorama, than the weathering project should be simple.

13 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Excellent work, especially in such a small scale.  I think if I were driving that particular stretch of roadway I would prefer a sturdier guardrail. If you can accomplish such perfection as this diorama, than the weathering project should be simple.

Much appreciated. Not only guardrail but concrete barriers as well. The roads in these places are only for the courages drivers and not for the faint of heart. The drops can go to 90 degrees and the edges between road and drops can be anywhere from 20cm to 5meters. Horribly scary. 

2 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Very nice! Excellent craftsmanship.

Thank you kindly. 

Oh yes Charles, and I am liking this one very much ! You have a good eye for perspective and also composition, so that the angle of the mountainside, the road and the DROP are just right. I can see that you have given this diorama a great deal of careful thought. The whole scene photographs very well, and if I were you I would be extremely pleased with the result. When I scrolled down to the photos of the diorama base, and those sturdy handles, I was even more impressed. Any truck and trailer placed in that scene is going to work nicely, and especially with a weathered vehicle. I particularly like the bends in the road, and also the ' blind ' corner that makes you feel that the road is going over the edge !

David

17 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Oh yes Charles, and I am liking this one very much ! You have a good eye for perspective and also composition, so that the angle of the mountainside, the road and the DROP are just right. I can see that you have given this diorama a great deal of careful thought. The whole scene photographs very well, and if I were you I would be extremely pleased with the result. When I scrolled down to the photos of the diorama base, and those sturdy handles, I was even more impressed. Any truck and trailer placed in that scene is going to work nicely, and especially with a weathered vehicle. I particularly like the bends in the road, and also the ' blind ' corner that makes you feel that the road is going over the edge !

David

David thank you so much for that assessment. You have nailed every point as if you had read my mind during the initial stages of the build. :) The whole point for building this was the client wanted a diorama for taking photos of the models without the need for a backdrop of some kind. And then he mentioned Middle East truck driving theme, and that was hit. Yep, I googled many many photos of this route and adapted lots of details from many of them. It was actually fun. A little skeptical at first, but the result started to slowly grow on me. 

Edited by tiking

• 2 weeks later...