Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some old ones--Dinky 1961 Pontiac ambulances (all original)

rsmodels

I always liked 61 Pontiacs and for years  these were about the only ones available. They are pretty accurate, especially considering when they were made and that they were toys. Dinky made them in a number of variations in detail painting, shades of colors, finish on chassis, etc. If you look carefully you can see some of the differences.

I wasn't sure if there would be much interest in diecasts this old but thought I'd give it a try. 

Feel free to comment, whether good or bad.  -Rich

DCFC0002.JPG

DCFC0003.JPG

DCFC0004.JPG

DCFC0006.JPG

DCFC0007.JPG

DCFC0010.JPG

DCFC0011.JPG

DCFC0013.JPG

DCFC0014.JPG

DCFC0015.JPG

DCFC0016.JPG

• Like 2

I never got one of these, though I do have a Corgi early '60s Cadillac ambulance, which scales to around 1:52 or so.

I've been trying to build a Pontiac ambulance in 1:25, but it's a tricky conversion with the kits available.

The classic comedy film "The Disorderly Orderly" has some great footage of two basically identical '61 ambulances.

10 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Those Pontiacs are amazing!  I never would have guessed Dinky made them.  My Mom had a '61 so maybe I am partial.😀

Thanks, my uncle had a white 61 wagon. I still have great memories of it.

9 hours ago, Geno said:

I too love the '61 Pontiacs and those are just way cool Rich, thanks for sharing them with us.😎

I'm glad you enjoyed seeing them!

8 hours ago, paul alflen said:

That 61 Pontiac Ambulance body would be cool to 3-d scan and print in 1/25 scale. I wonder if Robert Burns will/can do it? He is on Facebook as (Too many projects)

I'm not sure if it's accurate enough to copy to 1/25 scale.

1 hour ago, Brian Austin said:

I never got one of these, though I do have a Corgi early '60s Cadillac ambulance, which scales to around 1:52 or so.

I've been trying to build a Pontiac ambulance in 1:25, but it's a tricky conversion with the kits available.

The classic comedy film "The Disorderly Orderly" has some great footage of two basically identical '61 ambulances.

A 1/25 model would be great. Please post it if you ever do one.

26 minutes ago, the goon said:

I still Have one of the blue ones, basically brand new.  My parents bought it new for me.

Mark

Sadly, I gave most of my original diecasts to my younger stepbrothers. Needless to say, they were all destroyed.

12 hours ago, Motor City said:

That's a nice collection of ambulances, Rich.  Did you repaint any or all of them?  Dinky made some nice toys of cars that no one else did.  

Jim,  those are all original paint. I did a slight bit of touchup on a couple of them. Thanks for asking. I agree Dinky made some nice cars that were quite accurate.   -Rich

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Besides the '53-4 Studebaker Starlight coupes and the '55 Chevy, the '61 Pontiacs rank as one of the most beautiful post-WWII American cars!  Wanted one; now I'll never have one -- darn!  Did you mention what scale those Ponchos are?  Any one know of one for sale, even a 'builder'?  Wick

12 hours ago, W Humble said:

Besides the '53-4 Studebaker Starlight coupes and the '55 Chevy, the '61 Pontiacs rank as one of the most beautiful post-WWII American cars!  Wanted one; now I'll never have one -- darn!  Did you mention what scale those Ponchos are?  Any one know of one for sale, even a 'builder'?  Wick

Hi James,

I believe these were about 1/48 scale.They are definitely smaller than 1/43.

Here's a photo along side a ruler. You can find these on Ebay for decent prices if you are willing to restore them. Nice ones are pricey.

I've always loved the 61 Pontiacs and wanted one for my first car in 1967 but ended up with a 63 Olds Super 88 (love 63 Olds's too). I came close to getting a 61 Pontiac but never did. I do have a 1:1 63 Olds though.           -Rich

DSC01104.JPG

Sweet!  Maybe I'll look!   I have my original AMT 1;25 Bonneville kit, which I shortened (incorrectly) to make a Catalina, and the newer Mobius kit, which is really nice.  Because at age 77 I couldn't afford a decent '61 bubbletop, I bought a '62 LeMans ragtop, but it's not working out for my sweetie of 55 years (nervous about not having a roof!) so it's going on Hemmings Auction.  It's the "Little Indians" club calendar car feature for August '22 -- white on white.  Oh well...

Saw your 62 on the Little Indians club site. Love the white on white! The early Tempests were always my favorites.

I also have an AMT 61 Bonneville hardtop I built years ago. it's built stock and painted in white with 3 tone interior in blues and white.