Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebbro/Tamiya 1:12 1968 Matra MS11 F1

5 hours ago, absmiami said:

Im using the Master Club bolts too - thinking they may be tough to get going forward …

thought on the finish of the injection trumpets - im getting good results w the Alclad airframe aluminum - although you’ll have to be careful w handling onve painted …

Unfortunately, Andrew, I believe you are correct about Master Club. I have a decent stash of them. 

I also agree with you about the air funnels. I will shoot them with Alclad or AK Interactive Xtreme Metals.  I will lean toward the highly polished finish vs. a duller finish.

Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate any feedback that I get.  I don’t think this build is everyone’s cup of tea.  It may pick up a little steam the further along I get in the build.

Edited by Nacho Z
Typo

Just for the record - this is mostly for those forum members of a tender age ….  If you want to tackle a classic 12th sc Tamiya kit - do the Matra instead of the Lotus 49 - at least the Matra had a reasonably accurate tub and engine and transxle - the Lotus - Don’t even ask …

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

Just for the record - this is mostly for those forum members of a tender age ….  If you want to tackle a classic 12th sc Tamiya kit - do the Matra instead of the Lotus 49 - at least the Matra had a reasonably accurate tub and engine and transxle - the Lotus - Don’t even ask …

Hmmmm, I have the Lotus, still sealed.  I have heard that about it.  Another motorized kit I believe (?).  I have older friends who have these kits from the original releases.  They give me the horror stories…lol.  They are also good sources for knowing how to fix some of the issues and where to get corrected aftermarket items.

I have got just about everything that can be had for the Williams FW14B.  That may very well be my next large scale kit on the bench.

a modeler by the name of Andy Mathews once - thirty years ago (or more?)  - built a brilliant 12th scale Lotus 49A spec

he used the Tamiya kit wheels and tires  -  and nothing else ...

Now?  scratch-build  -   or cough up 700 large for the MFH kit  -  or more on the aftermarket 

-  or should I say the after-life ???

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

http://www.andymathews.com/index.php

check it out ...

and by the way - I do recommend his detail publications

met him YEARS AGO - nice guy ....

Andrew, I’m not sure how we’re not best friends…lol.  Maybe we were separated at birth? 😆. I’m a big fan of Andy’s work.  When I decided to do the Williams FW14B I started to gather aftermarket items and reference material.  My wife reached out to Andy and I have an autographed copy of his Clearview book.  I was really looking forward to getting the Ferrari one too but I don’t believe it was ever published.

Natch. I think you are correct about the ferrari publication -   Ive got twin sons - they are NOTHING alike -    True fact - the tach on the Mathews Lotus 49 has a working tach needle - i saw it bounce - yes i did …

• Like 1

While working on the new injectors I also worked on trying to make a mesh air funnel cap.  I am fairly happy with the results.

I had some fine mesh that I bought years ago.  I had these tools that I use to form parts when I build metal models.  The mesh pieces are not 100% uniform and I may have to do some tweaking on a few of them.  It is not really noticeable to the naked eye.  I do think they add a nice touch.  I will leave them brass.  I have seen plenty of photos of F1 cars from this era with both silver and brass.  I think the brass will add visual interest.

20220504 220312

I made the rings by wrapping 24 gauge wire around the appropriate sized drill bit.

20220507 224541

20220507 214920

Just a mockup, nothing glued in place yet.  I like it!

20220507 202049

Here is a shot of all the pieces that will go into the air funnels and injectors.

20220517 205519

• Like 2

Wow. Well done. I built one of these in 1969. It's in a box somewhere and I'm hoping the tires are still OK. I did NOT eliminate the battery box stuff, but I did for a rare instance use the kit driver figure, who, in spite of being a double amputee, is a fairly decent representation of Jean Pierre Beltoise. I added a face mask of fine cloth glued to his face and painted cream color. The kit was molded in a very different blue than yours and was much closer to French Blue, but looked rather slate blue. So I gave the body a light coat of Testors Candy Transparent blue over the kit plastic and it looked decent. I would rather, even then that the kit were an MS-10 provided with the Ford-Cosworth DFV engine, as that was what was used by Jackie Stewart to win the Championship.

On 5/31/2022 at 6:16 PM, DustyMojave said:

Wow. Well done. I built one of these in 1969. It's in a box somewhere and I'm hoping the tires are still OK. I did NOT eliminate the battery box stuff, but I did for a rare instance use the kit driver figure, who, in spite of being a double amputee, is a fairly decent representation of Jean Pierre Beltoise. I added a face mask of fine cloth glued to his face and painted cream color. The kit was molded in a very different blue than yours and was much closer to French Blue, but looked rather slate blue. So I gave the body a light coat of Testors Candy Transparent blue over the kit plastic and it looked decent. I would rather, even then that the kit were an MS-10 provided with the Ford-Cosworth DFV engine, as that was what was used by Jackie Stewart to win the Championship.

Thanks, Richard.  I didn’t think I could do a decent job on the figure so I opted not to use him.  I’ve seen otherwise nice models ruined by cartoonish figures.  My figure painting skills are zero.  I chuckled when I read your “double amputee” comment 😂.  

On 5/26/2022 at 12:34 AM, Chris Smith said:

Those mesh screens look fantastic, well done sir. Looking forward to seeing everything come together 

Hey there, Chris, I really appreciate the kind words!  I'm still jumping around on the build order.  It makes it hard to post updates that make any sense.  I try to get some subassemblies done with enough documentation to make it post worthy.

On 6/5/2022 at 4:17 PM, Randy D said:

This is great work on this old kit John !!!!!   Really appreciate all your work on these funnels.  Looking forward to the rest.

Randy

Thank you, Randy!  The funnels are under paint.  I need to build the mesh caps and add them to the funnels.  I hope to post an update when that step is completed.

Just a quick update this evening.  After more than a few hours of work the air funnels and injectors, all 12 of them 🙄, are complete and ready for installation.  Once all the parts were scratched built the air funnels were prepped, (all of this is in previous posts), I primed the air funnels with Gravity Paint Spain dark gray primer.  I fixed major issues and reprimed where necessary.  I then shot Alclad gloss black base and then Alclad Chrome.  I was torn on what type of finish to go for.  I've seen some highly polished funnels and I've seen some pretty dull ones.  In the end I am pleased with what I have.  I left the mesh caps and the injector nozzles brass.  I liked the colors against what will be a mostly aluminum colored engine.  The .7mm bolt heads were hit with a black Sharpie.

They are far from perfect but I have a real sense of accomplishment from making them.

20220612 205919

20220612 205846

• Like 1

John...you did a tremendous amount of work on those funnels  and they look great. Well  worth your efforts as they will be one of the first things seen.  !/12 kits are rewarding when but attention to detail is paramount if you are to create a masterpiece.  And you are well on your way.  The WIP posts are also a lot of work and we appreciate those too. 

On 6/13/2022 at 9:49 PM, Chris Smith said:

Looking good! Can’t wait to see how it will look when you get everything done 

Thank you, Chris!  In my mind it is going to look great but its getting the rest of my body to pull it off…lol!

On 6/14/2022 at 12:00 AM, absmiami said:

Vell Done …

Andrew, I appreciate the comments and all of your help and input.

On 6/14/2022 at 1:04 AM, sflam123 said:

The detail on this is amazing!!  Incredible work sir!!

Much appreciated, Stephen!  I am happy with how the funnels and injectors turned out. I have a long way to go.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:04 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

Simply gorgeous detailing!

Thanks, Pierre!  I’m nowhere near your level but I’m trying!

On 6/14/2022 at 2:10 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

John...you did a tremendous amount of work on those funnels  and they look great. Well  worth your efforts as they will be one of the first things seen.  !/12 kits are rewarding when but attention to detail is paramount if you are to create a masterpiece.  And you are well on your way.  The WIP posts are also a lot of work and we appreciate those too. 

You are far too kind!  I post the WIPs in hopes that it will help others.  I will even post what didn’t work.  There is not a lot of information about this car out there, relatively speaking.  I already know that I will be guessing at more than a few details.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:34 PM, Codi said:

Perfection John.  I'll most certainly follow your progress as well. cheers, tim

Thanks, Tim!

23 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Nice scratching there John, keep up the good work!

Thank you, Bruce!

Here is another little update.  Pictured here are the throttle plates that the air funnels fit into.  The molded in bolt heads were really more of a cone.  They were more round than hex shaped.  Because they were easy to get to I decided to remove them and replace them with Meng bolt heads.  I used a Trumpeter 1mm chisel to remove the molded on ones.

Please keep in mind when viewing the photos that most of them are zoomed in views.  Not every bolt head is the exact same thickness.  This has to do with removing them from the plate they are molded to.  Also you may notice a small bit of glue that squished out when applying the bolt heads.  As much as humanly possible this all scraped away after the pictures were taken.

There are 52 individual bolt heads on the two throttle plates.

The original kit parts.

20220501 125802

With the molded in bolt heads removed.

20220501 185313

20220613 221716

20220614 220258

20220614 223658

Edited by Nacho Z
Added pictures and descriptions
  • Like 1