Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebbro/Tamiya 1:12 1968 Matra MS11 F1

If it's Monday night, it's update time!  I may miss the next couple of weeks.  Building a F4U-1 Corsair for a FB group build.

Wheels and tires.  They can make or break a model, IMHO, especially on a street car.  Not so much on a race car but they can make a difference.  This was not simply slide the tire over the wheels.  It was a little more involved than that.  As I pointed out earlier in this build thread, this is a poorly molded kit and the wheels did not escape that.

Here is what I am trying to replicate.

Screenshot 20220814-135107 Chrome

The kit wheels are 2mm too wide.  I used a razor saw to remove the 2mm.

20220422 220746

Original wheel size on the left, modified wheel on the right.

20220423 192743

The spokes on all 4 wheels are poorly molded.  I cleaned them up as best as I could.  To make them perfect was well beyond what I was willing or able to do.

20220806 174156

Pictured is a beautifully machined air valve stem from Top Studio.

20220806 185233

All 8 wheel parts were primed in Gravity Colors, (Spain), dark gray primer and then airbrushed in Tamiya's LP-1 Black.

20220814 141527

The wheel faces were airbrushed in AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Chrome and the wheel backs were airbrushed in AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Aluminum.

20220814 153632

I hand painted the middle of each spoke in acrylic black.  Two coats.  I also painted the lug nuts.

20220816 222008

The Dunlop letters and logo were hand painted with Tamiya acrylic yellow with Tamiya acrylic smoke added to the yellow.  Two coats, both sides of each tire.

20220809 215051

The real car's wheels had wheel weights.  I thought I should add some too.  Styrene rod was flattened, cut to various lengths and painted.

20220817 212913

Final results.

20220820 191831

• Like 3

8 hours ago, absmiami said:

Never occured to me - the smoke darkens the yellow just enough - right ?

Yup, that was what I was shooting for.  I didn’t mix up very large batches of the color at any one time so the “brew” is not exact. I added 1 drop of Smoke to only a handful of drops of yellow.  I don’t remember the exact ratio because there really wasn’t one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been after this kit for sometime, found one on ebay that was reasonably priced, and after watching your efforts, I purchased it, the decals appear to be in good condition (fingers crossed) should receive it in a week or two. I’m very impressed with your attention to detail especially removing the battery case (top job) and the engine is a beaut, well done, will be watching…..thanks for sharing

3 hours ago, Jonn said:

I have been after this kit for sometime, found one on ebay that was reasonably priced, and after watching your efforts, I purchased it, the decals appear to be in good condition (fingers crossed) should receive it in a week or two. I’m very impressed with your attention to detail especially removing the battery case (top job) and the engine is a beaut, well done, will be watching…..thanks for sharing

Thanks for the kind words, Jonn!  The kit does show its age a bit. Fitment is good so far.  It just has a lot of sink marks, seam lines, etc.  If you have any questions about anything I've done feel free to ask away.  Good luck with your build and I hope you share your work with us.

I also happen to agree with Pierre.   The wheels/tires and engine really do make it on  an F-1 model...especially 1/12.   Both of yours are excellent and this will surely be a masterpiece.  I did this kit so long ago and didn't have the knowledge, skill, and resources available to us today. Your WIP makes me want to tear mine apart and bring it up to your standards because it looks so pale in comparison.  You have done a great job on this WIP too. It has been a pleasure following. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 9:22 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

John, I completely agree with your statement that wheels & tires make or break a model. Do them right you have a realistic replica, do them wrong you have a toy. Your's are in the very very right category!

As always, thank you, Pierre!

On 9/9/2022 at 12:02 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

I also happen to agree with Pierre.   The wheels/tires and engine really do make it on  an F-1 model...especially 1/12.   Both of yours are excellent and this will surely be a masterpiece.  I did this kit so long ago and didn't have the knowledge, skill, and resources available to us today. Your WIP makes me want to tear mine apart and bring it up to your standards because it looks so pale in comparison.  You have done a great job on this WIP too. It has been a pleasure following. 

Aww, Rich, you set the bar pretty darn high.  I'm sure your Matra is a beauty.  I sincerely appreciate the kind words and the fact that you are following along.  It is the interaction with other modelers that keep me going on this one.

It is Monday night and I'm back on track with updates.  For those following along, I mentioned that I was going to miss a few weeks because of a FB group build.  I did finish the Corsair and it is posted here on MCM.  Getting back to the Matra, the last update was the wheels and tires.  They needed something to mount to so I began work on the front suspension.  I don't have a lot of in progress pics, there wasn't much to document.

This car used 6 wheel studs rather than 1 wheel nut like those used in modern F1 cars.

20220911 131615

I made crossover tubes from #24 wire and aluminum hex nuts. (I did not use the wire in the picture due to the bend in the right side leg.)

20220910 233052

All parts with kit chrome were stripped, cleaned up, primed and base coated in Tamiya LP-1 Gloss Black lacquer and shot in AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Chrome, Dark Aluminum and White Aluminum.

20220913 164042

Coil over shocks have a decal and working springs.  The suspension arm looks much better now than how it came in the kit.

20220913 164114

Calipers were two parts.  Photo etch rotor faces, front and back.  Crossover tubes and fittings added.  Temperature paint added to the rotors.  A brake line will be added once the rotor assemblies have been mounted.

20220913 164310

Another view.  Two part calipers were assembled, filled and sanded prior to paint.

20220913 164443

One last view.

20220910 235732

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:38 PM, Chris Smith said:

Really nice job on brakes and front suspension 

Thanks, Chris!

On 9/20/2022 at 7:23 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

wow, so lifelike!

I always appreciate the kind words, Pierre!

On 9/20/2022 at 11:08 AM, sflam123 said:

HOLY COW man!  Incredible, beautiful work!  Great job!!

Thanks, Stephen!

• Like 1

And here we are, ready for another Monday night update.  This will more than likely be the last update for a month or so.  I will be working on my Halloween themed build for 2022.  I may sneak an update or two in, in the next month, but I doubt it.

This update is all about the gauge cluster.  If you go back to page 1 of this build thread you will find where I began working on the gauge cluster.  You will see my failed attempts at various scratch building ideas for the gauges.  I will repost a few things from page 1 just to show the steps I took to get to the final product.

Front of the gauge cluster as it came in the kit.

20220414 203856

Back of the gauge cluster as it came in the kit.

20220414 203908

Using a punch tool to make styrene discs for each gauge housing.

20220416 134022

These styrene discs cover the oddly molded "wells" in each gauge housing.

20220416 142135

Beautiful machined toggle switches from Top Studio.

20220416 141915

Gauge cluster was primed and then painted Tamiya TS-10 French Blue.  Once cured it was masked and airbrushed Tamiya LP-3 Flat Black.  The decals were then applied.

20220913 204205

I used the same punch tool to punch discs from clear sheet that had been polished to nearly glass like quality.  These were glued in place and then photo etch rings, which were also polished to a chrome finish, were added.

20220913 221806

Two gauges are done.  You can see the clear disc and photo etch ring for the third gauge.  For the large center gauge I did not have a punch large enough.  I hand cut and hand sanded the clear sheet to make one that fit correctly.  It took three attempts to make.

20220913 224915

Gauges are done.  Toggle switches added.  Fire extinguisher painted, foiled and decaled.

20220919 222337

To the back of each gauge I added heavy/thick tinfoil to replicate brackets.  I added a bolt and nut head to each bracket.  The toggle switches will be wired and all gauges will have the appropriate wiring or plumbing added.

20220919 215104

Edited by Nacho Z
Added photo
  • Like 1

John, I just went through the WIP, and I must say you are doing an outstanding job detailing this kit.  Being an early Tamiya kit, it has rather crude detailing compared to today's kits.  But you're bringing it up to current standards.   I'm looking forward to your next update.

If you have a Michael's nearby, take a stroll through their beading department.  You can find all sorts of thin wires in various colors for reasonable prices.

Agree with all, you’ve nailed the detail with the gauges, so glad your sharing this build, I’m not sure….are you going to add the extra tanks or leave them off, because There’s not many pics out there with tanks on and personally I think I’ll be leaving them off, I’m quite surprised by this kit as Tamiya have gone to a lot of trouble to detail brake lines and other engine and transmission lines also supplying 2mm diameter springs…I’m looking forward to getting this kit started after I complete Kenny Roberts YZR500

On 9/26/2022 at 9:16 PM, 2whl said:

John, I just went through the WIP, and I must say you are doing an outstanding job detailing this kit.  Being an early Tamiya kit, it has rather crude detailing compared to today's kits.  But you're bringing it up to current standards.   I'm looking forward to your next update.

If you have a Michael's nearby, take a stroll through their beading department.  You can find all sorts of thin wires in various colors for reasonable prices.

Paul, thanks for checking out this thread, I appreciate it.  I don’t think these odd subjects get a lot of traffic and/or discussion.  It is nice to get someone stopping by, as it were.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:00 AM, absmiami said:

Great looking gauge cluster

I always appreciate the nice comments, Andrew!