Model Cars Magazine Forum

Donohue Sunoco Porsche 917-30

This kit went rather quicker than expected.  Although I did clean up parts, make the wheels steer and prime some time ago.  From paint top finish it was 3 days. An excellent kit and very well engineered.  Paint is Tamiya TS-16 (80%) TS-55 (20%) for the blue. Yellow was Tamiya TS-16 (90%) TS-46 (10%) The yellow had to be mixed several times to match the decals.  Only the side decals were used and the rest of the graphics decanted and airbrushed.  The thin red accent line is red vinyl tape cut down thin.  This proved to be a lot easier than the decals especially over the front fender vents.  More comments in the picture captions. Thanks for looking. 

DSC07608.JPG.a668c9be53657325c3a16ad79e9c71ca.JPG

Making the wheels steer required a little body modification. Goodyear decals out of the stash.  Each piece of the red tape had to be cut twice over the fender vents. I have a special tool to do this...now.

DSC07609.JPG.f930fb8a52e02b6db03b26b438ed4cf8.JPG

I made the mistake of attaching the wing then spraying the yellow. It was a little tricky  masking when it came to the blue. The thin part of the rear spoiler had to be pinned in place as no glue would hold it. Its adjustable.

DSC07610.JPG.d9143c7b5570670c35cde587a9ed0eac.JPG

The bottom of the chassis is real aluminium polished to a medium shine. Its sticky back aluminium used in the label making industry. We have a plant here in town and one of my modeling friends used to work there.

DSC07611.JPG.1758ffafdeb20b4d235e66fc8834dae5.JPG

Here is the model with its 1/18 older brother. Diecast is by Minichamps and is quite rare now.  The colors matched up pretty good considering this is the first time they are seen together.

DSC07614.JPG.b46c28312995c8b4f59631f001ee3207.JPG

Engine detail of the Minichamps is pretty well detailed for a diecast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Chernosky said:

This kit went rather quicker than expected.  Although I did clean up parts, make the wheels steer and prime some time ago.  From paint top finish it was 3 days. An excellent kit and very well engineered.  Paint is Tamiya TS-16 (80%) TS-55 (20%) for the blue. Yellow was Tamiya TS-16 (90%) TS-46 (10%) The yellow had to be mixed several times to match the decals.  Only the side decals were used and the rest of the graphics decanted and airbrushed.  The thin red accent line is red vinyl tape cut down thin.  This proved to be a lot easier than the decals especially over the front fender vents.  More comments in the picture captions. Thanks for looking. 

DSC07608.JPG.a668c9be53657325c3a16ad79e9c71ca.JPG

Making the wheels steer required a little body modification. Goodyear decals out of the stash.  Each piece of the red tape had to be cut twice over the fender vents. I have a special tool to do this...now.

DSC07609.JPG.f930fb8a52e02b6db03b26b438ed4cf8.JPG

I made the mistake of attaching the wing then spraying the yellow. It was a little tricky  masking when it came to the blue. The thin part of the rear spoiler had to be pinned in place as no glue would hold it. Its adjustable.

DSC07610.JPG.d9143c7b5570670c35cde587a9ed0eac.JPG

The bottom of the chassis is real aluminium polished to a medium shine. Its sticky back aluminium used in the label making industry. We have a plant here in town and one of my modeling friends used to work there.

DSC07611.JPG.1758ffafdeb20b4d235e66fc8834dae5.JPG

Here is the model with its 1/18 older brother. Diecast is by Minichamps and is quite rare now.  The colors matched up pretty good considering this is the first time they are seen together.

DSC07614.JPG.b46c28312995c8b4f59631f001ee3207.JPG

Engine detail of the Minichamps is pretty well detailed for a diecast.

Beautiful car!!!  My favorite Porsche. Saw this car run at laguna seca. Oh yeah for you younger people( Mazda raceway) . Had a poster in my room of this car . So I had to buy a mfh kit when it came out. I have the wheels and tires finished and the monster engine started. Hopefully it will be finished in a few years. Yours are fantastic! Great job on the paint work. Looks like I will be in for a challenge. 

084A46E1-1A11-4C9A-91CA-2BBD36E389E4.jpeg

18D7AF23-06E7-4370-84FC-90D176A24E83.jpeg

F535CF97-2E82-40F0-BA1E-C7AE5A002E3D.jpeg

4AC67D93-923F-41A6-AAE8-B83FF748CA91.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Thanks Bruce.....I am afraid MFH kits are a little out of my range, soI will have to live vicarously through you. Your kit is off to a great start BTW. I am sure you will do a awesome job. 

Rich, you guys are amazing on your builds. I am motivated on starting it again. If you can, I’m interested in a pic of that tool for the fender vents. 

A lot of detail masking. I keep looking at your paint and it’s amazing. This is a very complex paint scheme. Here is a pic of my bench with the car on it. And a pic of the car with the engine on the ground. This is at laguna seca96232E5E-0CFD-4BCB-B812-476E1DFF84EE.jpeg.74e4bf7e0e3d8d6a182cc19c050e80dc.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Thanks Bruce.....I am afraid MFH kits are a little out of my range, soI will have to live vicarously through you. Your kit is off to a great start BTW. I am sure you will do a awesome job. 

293ED11A-5867-409E-A26D-1E763447CA90.jpeg

17 hours ago, Brudda said:

Beautiful car!!!  My favorite Porsche. Saw this car run at laguna seca. Oh yeah for you younger people( Mazda raceway) . Had a poster in my room of this car . So I had to buy a mfh kit when it came out. I have the wheels and tires finished and the monster engine started. Hopefully it will be finished in a few years. Yours are fantastic! Great job on the paint work. Looks like I will be in for a challenge. 

084A46E1-1A11-4C9A-91CA-2BBD36E389E4.jpeg

18D7AF23-06E7-4370-84FC-90D176A24E83.jpeg

F535CF97-2E82-40F0-BA1E-C7AE5A002E3D.jpeg

4AC67D93-923F-41A6-AAE8-B83FF748CA91.jpeg

Bruce...the paint job is not as hard as you think, You will have two advantages over me. One you are working in a larger scale, and two you will be doing the graphics correctly. Mine are actually incorrect.  The yellow portion over the fender vents on mine is actually wrong according to the photos. My instruction photos were not so good but if I had looked carefully I would have noticed the the yellow portion covers the outside vent only. This will put the red pinstripe down the center and on the outside so there will be no need to cut it to fit into the vents.  I positioned mine over the center.   Doh !! This caused me problems later on as the yellow went too far over the front and there was not enough room for the Sunoco sponser decal. It took some fancy painting to fix this but I managed.  I sprayed the yellow first (not masking) in the areas I thought it should be. The blue will cover the yellow over-spray quite easily. The photos below will show you how I made the masks and pinstripe. I've added captions to help. 

DSC07615.JPG.8339e00a37cf020d08d285702dc03d9c.JPG

The tool to cut the thin vinyl tape was made from a new single edge razor blade. The moto-tool cutoff wheel cuts through it like butter. Hold it in a pair of vise grips when you cut it. The metal backing comes off easily when you grind the top of it. Round the blade slightly as this will allow you to get in tight places.

DSC07616.JPG.8967d8eadbee474e14dfac31e6788046.JPG

All the striping is cut with a metal straight edge on a piece of glass. Do this by eye and hold the metal down as tight as you can. It may take a few cuts to get you the width you want.  The vinyl tape is made by 3M and available at most hardware stores.  I keep lots of colors of this and use it extensively when I do graphics. It can be sprayed with lacquers but you have to use it before the paint cures as it will crack if you don't. 

DSC07617.JPG.77ff1a91afb88c5b92f56c4f593ccc7e.JPG

The paint was matched to the decals by putting a drop on clear plastic that covers the decal. The metal paint stirrers I use will put exactly one drop of paint down. You can get a good idea of the percentage when mixing by counting the drops used. Its not exact but comes close enough. The paint has to match the decal colors so your mixtures and paint used may not match mine since your decals are printed by a different company. Be aware that sometimes the decal will change color went applied over a dark surface. You may need to adjust for that. The pattern for the mask was made with Tamiya tape  over a copy of the decal sheet. (shown)  I cover that copy with clear packing tape as this allows the pattern to be removed easily and not lose its stick.   I hope all this helps you.  That MFH kit looks like it will make a killer model.   Regards Rich

17 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Wow, Rich, that is just gorgeous!!  

Thanks John...I am pleased with it too. 

17 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Rich, your workmanship on the Porsche is outstanding.

Thanks  Gary...I will take an "outstanding" any time.

16 hours ago, iBorg said:

Amazing build.....looks perfect.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Turbo95187 said:

Gorgeous Rich!!!!!  I need to get up to you and see it in person.  Love this car, what a panzer!!!!  

That would be great Brett.  Bring yours with you and  I can show you what  I  did.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:36 AM, Bainford said:

Beautiful build of the ferocious 917-30, Rich. The paint, finishing, decals look fantastic.  You have captured the essence of the beast nicely. Very well done. 

Thank you for the kind words ,Trevor

23 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Amazing model and I really dig the livery. A lot of eye candy to enjoy.

The paint job was the most fun, thanks Mario

20 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Very nice work !! 👍😀

Thank you

13 hours ago, Dave B said:

Great looking build Rich, missed out on that one from Paul unfortunately!!

Dave B

Dave...I have a search going on Ebay for Fisher kits and see them come up every once in awhile.  Thanks for the compliment.

2 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Absolutely awesome rendition of the famous "Porsche Panzer" from 1973, Rich. If you had not pointed out your mistake with the yellow stripes, no one would have noticed. It really looks intimidating!

Thank you Helmut....I did not realize the error of my ways until I took the photo of the two of them together. The kit photos and instructions were not so explicit and even though I used other reference I did not pick up on it. It caused me a lot of work. But as you said, I was pretty sure no one would notice. 

2 hours ago, tmathew1us said:

Just so everyone can see what a fantastic job Rich did on this kit, here is what it looks like from the box.

a.JPG

a2.JPG

a3.JPG

a4.JPG

a5.JPG

What a great post and terrific compliment Tom.  Thank you so much for doing this.  Good luck with your build and if there is anything I can do to help don't hesitate to ask.