Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stumptown 1991 Ford Mustang GT

mrmike

My new project is from the Stumptown TV series starring Cobie Smulders as Dex Parios and was taken from the graphic novel of the same name.  I bought this kit which is a close representative to the 1991 Mustang GT a couple of years ago during the height of the Covid pandemic.  The wheels will be changed to the 5 spoke Pony wheels and my paint will be Tamiya TS-18 Metallic Red with a grey interior.  The series was renewed for a 2nd season, but was ultimately cancelled since new episodes would be ready in time to be aired.

Dex Parios will return...

Dex01.JPG

Dex02.JPG

Dex03.JPG

While I am awaiting parts for other projects, I went ahead and assembled the engine and the body.  The engine will be painted with grey paint and the body will be painted with Tamiya TS-18 Metallic Red and then weathered to look dirty and unwashed.

Dex04.JPG

Dex05.JPG

Dex06.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I thought that was a good series.😕

Many people thought is was a good series as well.  Unfortunately, ABC cancelled the show after they renewed it for a 2nd season and they supposedly shopped it around to other networks and streaming outfits.  I thought it was filmed on location in Portland, OR, but it was not.  I find so many commonalities between Stumptown and Spenser For Hire, another show that I really liked.  

I removed the chrome items I assembled yesterday and put them in a container with some Easy-Off Oven Cleaner to remove the chrome.  A good cleaning afterwards and then I can paint them.

Edited by mrmike

54 minutes ago, Michael Bentt said:

We do not have those cars here where I live, but does it looks to anyone else that the body sill trim may be backwards? I may be mistaken merely compare to the package.

Yes...the scoop goes in front of the rear wheel well....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Bentt said:

We do not have those cars here where I live, but does it looks to anyone else that the body sill trim may be backwards? I may be mistaken merely compare to the package.

Yes, I saw that too. Hopefully the parts can be removed and reversed.

You guys are correct!  I installed the side skirts on the wrong sides of the body.  My Bad!  I was able to remove the side skits and install them on the proper sides.  I removed the chrome from the valve covers, intake manifold and induction system.  After over a day in Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, the chrome and some of the lacquer coating was removed, but not all of the lacquer coating.

Dex07.JPG

Dex08.JPG

Dex09.JPG

• Like 2

I removed the chrome from the valve covers, intake manifold and the intake system.  The distributor and the cylinder heads have been drilled out for plug wires.  The resin Pony wheels are soaking in Bleche Wite Tire Cleaner and tomorrow I will scrub them with Dawn Dish Detergent and an old toothbrush.

Dex10.JPG

Dex11.JPG

Dex12.JPG

Thanks, Carl and Adam!  I wanted to do this build before I had forgotten about Stumptown which was cancelled in 2020.  We will never get to see what Dex's mother looks like.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a mockup with the Mustang and the resin Pony wheels that I got off eBay.  The engine is mostly assembled save for the ignition coil and some touchups.  I used the stock exhaust manifolds (which are not listed in the instructions) instead of headers and I may have to extend the front pipes on the exhaust system to reach the manifolds.

Dex16.JPG

Dex17.JPG

Dex18.JPG

• Like 1

The resin wheels and tires have been reassembled!  I have painted the exhaust system with Tru-color Paint Aluminum.  This stuff is shiny!  I included a picture from the TV series to show the car I am building.

Dex22.JPG

Dex23.JPG

Dex24.jpg

The chassis is partially assembled.  It is a good thing I have built this kit before as the model I have helps with parts location.  The kit instructions SUCK!  No wonder everything kept falling apart!  Gluing surfaces are almost none existent!  I painted some parts and others are awaiting paint.

Dex25.JPG

Dex26.JPG

Dex27.JPG

Over the last couple of days, I have been trying to install the interior onto the chassis.  This has been a bear of a project, but I do seem to be winning!  Right now I am detailing the dash and doing some touchups.

Dex28.JPG

Dex29.JPG

Dex30.JPG