Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stumptown 1991 Ford Mustang GT

mrmike

It has been over 2 1/2 weeks since I paid any attention to the Stumptown Mustang GT.  I applied the Tamiya X-27 Clear Red over the Tamiya X-11 Chrome Silver and after it had set up for a few minutes, I used an alcohol swab on the taillights and removed the extra Clear Red.  Worked pretty good!

Dex Parios will return...

Dex59.JPG

Dex60.JPG

Dex61.JPG

I like this project!

Not yet every model need represent a high profile customizer, race car builder, iconic media car, or rare factory muscle car. Daily drivers comprise the vast majority of cars we see most of our lives. We see innumerable automobiles in TV shows and movies. Recognizing and acknowledging the richness of our day-to-day lives can guide us to many overlooked and unique project options.

16 hours ago, mrmike said:

It has been over 2 1/2 weeks since I paid any attention to the Stumptown Mustang GT.  I applied the Tamiya X-27 Clear Red over the Tamiya X-11 Chrome Silver and after it had set up for a few minutes, I used an alcohol swab on the taillights and removed the extra Clear Red.  Worked pretty good!

Dex59.JPG

Dex60.JPG

Dex61.JPG

This is a overwhelming process and I'm not looking forward to it on my build, but it looks like you nailed it 

On 8/9/2022 at 8:35 AM, Dirkpitt289 said:

This is a overwhelming process and I'm not looking forward to it on my build, but it looks like you nailed it 

One step at a time.  Take a brush with chrome silver paint and brush it on the taillights and let it set up for a few minutes.  Take an alcohol wipe and remove the paint from the raised surfaces and let it dry completely.  Take some clear red and brush it over the taillights and let it set up and wipe off the raised surfaces with an alcohol wipe and you are done.  It shouldn't take you that long to do.

Thanks Garry!

Edited by mrmike

6 minutes ago, mrmike said:

One step at a time.  Take a brush with chrome silver paint and brush it on the taillights and let it set up for a few minutes.  Take an alcohol wipe and remove the paint from the raised surfaces and let it dry completely.  Take some clear red and brush it over the taillights and let it set up and wipe off the raised surfaces with an alcohol wipe and you are done.  It shouldn't take you that long to do.

What sucks is, for the kit I'm doing the tail lights are seperate parts and molded in clear. Its a shame to have to cover the entire piece in paint. You would think with the part molded in clear it would save so much time

6 minutes ago, Dirkpitt289 said:

What sucks is, for the kit I'm doing the tail lights are seperate parts and molded in clear. Its a shame to have to cover the entire piece in paint. You would think with the part molded in clear it would save so much time

I have the Mustang Lowrider kit (same as your Monkee kit) that I got free of charge and I dug it out and found out that I don't have any taillights!  I will have to find something in my parts box to replace them with.  

A clear part will only save you time if you don't have to paint it at all.  It depends on the molding process and the design of the part.  Good luck!

6 hours ago, slusher said:

may I ask if those came in a Revell kit, the tail lights??

I'm not sure, Slusher. It was a Glue-bomb I picked up at a show, just because. I can say that it is NOT the Monogram kit, because it had the correct interior for a 88 Mustang. Where as the Monogram kit has the interior from the 84/85 Mustang.  So there is a good chance it is the Revell kit but I can't be sure since I haven't seen a Revell kit for this car. I hope that makes sense 

I kept looking at the taillights wondering what was missing and they needed backup lights!  Out came my jar of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White paint and a thin brush and now I have backup lights!

Dex62.JPG

Dex63.JPG

Dex64.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow!  I had placed this on the back shelf for a short time and I got responses from a month ago.  Sorry guys!  This project is not finished. 

A little time spent on the Stumptown Mustang this morning.  I "weathered" the body with Model Master Camouflage Gray and my my Badger 150 airbrush.  Now to finish this!

Dex65.JPG

Dex66.JPG

Dex67.JPG

Edited by mrmike

7 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Coming out great! I drove one just like on the box art for a while and loved it...225 hp was considered a lot back then :) 

Thanks EMRE!  You are correct as 225 HP was considered a lot back then!  And, today that is a little bit of horsepower when compared to a 2022 Mustang GT at 450 HP!  

Edited by mrmike

• 1 month later...

There is a picture of Dex's Mustang and there is an air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror.  I tried to recreate that type of air freshener by downloading an image of the air freshener and resizing the image size to fit the body.  Then using a piece of silver plated string from a Christmas decoration, I looped it and glued it the the images I had printed out on my HP printer.  Then I needed to paint the fog lights and I used my white Gelly Roll pen and rummage my parts box for lenses for the lights.

Dex71.JPG

Dex72.JPG

Dex73.JPG

Edited by mrmike

• 3 weeks later...