Model Cars Magazine Forum

#213 hit my mailbox today.  After a quick glance, it looks pretty good.  Two articles that will require more time is the VW Westphalia, I owned a '72.  The interior layout was a bit different on mine; there was a rear facing seat behind the driver's seat, the table folded down between them, and my "kitchen" was just inside the sliding door behind the passenger seat. For some unknown reason, maybe a lunar brain freeze, I traded it for a '78 Rabbit.  The other article was actually the kit review of the Drag Combo.  I bought this kit a few months back and just last month I scored a mostly complete '64 Ford annual kit at an auction sale.  Plans now are to use the annual custom pieces on the curbside from the drag combo kit.  If I can get my hands on a "60 Starliner chassis I will use it to build the '64 annual into a superstock drag car, which would look really good on that trailer: maybe even drop in the SOHC with two fours and go B/FX.

Agree with the above statements getting my magazine a bit quicker than the past which is always a good thing. A quick glance through the pages looks like a big variety of subjects and LOTS of content. Always enjoy reading every page even when the subject isn't something I may be interested in but that's how good I think this magazine is!

There's a page in the New Products section about a parking garage which prompted me to buy one. I got the 4 car version and can say it's pretty nice. Plexiglass on all sides so it becomes a display case. The strange thing is the lighting is not battery powered. Included is a cord that you can plug into your computer or as I did, plug into my phone charger in the wall. Not my top choice for conveniently doing things but I guess it's the way of the future.

Thanks to Model Cars Magazine providing articles like this for modelers.

7 hours ago, TonyK said:

There's a page in the New Products section about a parking garage which prompted me to buy one. I got the 4 car version and can say it's pretty nice. Plexiglass on all sides so it becomes a display case. The strange thing is the lighting is not battery powered. Included is a cord that you can plug into your computer or as I did, plug into my phone charger in the wall. Not my top choice for conveniently doing things but I guess it's the way of the future.

Thanks to Model Cars Magazine providing articles like this for modelers.

That's really cool! Here is a little back story on that page. My wife got me that one for my birthday. She did some fairly exhaustive research into displays for models. For instance the retail price for the basic AMT display case is $14.99. Get 3 of them and you are at $45 and they aren't a light up parking garage! 😎 After assembling it, the staff discussed it and decided it was an interesting piece for New Products.

Since then, I liked mine so much I got a couple more, stacked them up and now I have a parking deck in the back corner of my L shaped work bench. Got a 4 into 1 USB adapter to plug them all in so I only use one plug, but I have a power strip that has regular outlets and USB ports. Pretty cool way to display nine models and its easy to swap them out depending on my mood.

Garage.jpg.da56ca847bf55d2011daa8fed267d14e.jpg

Glad you all are enjoying #213!

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 5:48 PM, TimKustom said:

That's really cool! Here is a little back story on that page. My wife got me that one for my birthday. She did some fairly exhaustive research into displays for models. For instance the retail price for the basic AMT display case is $14.99. Get 3 of them and you are at $45 and they aren't a light up parking garage! 😎 After assembling it, the staff discussed it and decided it was an interesting piece for New Products.

Since then, I liked mine so much I got a couple more, stacked them up and now I have a parking deck in the back corner of my L shaped work bench. Got a 4 into 1 USB adapter to plug them all in so I only use one plug, but I have a power strip that has regular outlets and USB ports. Pretty cool way to display nine models and its easy to swap them out depending on my mood.

Garage.jpg.da56ca847bf55d2011daa8fed267d14e.jpg

Glad you all are enjoying #213!

Wonder if there's a way to wall mount that - any thoughts on if that would be possible Tim? 

On 5/13/2022 at 12:43 PM, CabDriver said:

Wonder if there's a way to wall mount that - any thoughts on if that would be possible Tim? 

I'm sure anything is possible. I'd probably just put it on a study shelf to be safe. Right now they are just stacked on my workbench. I have them sitting on four Dupli-Color primer caps to raise it a bit. Convenient storage underneath.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TimKustom said:

I'm sure anything is possible. I'd probably just put it on a study shelf to be safe. Right now they are just stacked on my workbench. I have them sitting on four Dupli-Color primer caps to raise it a bit. Convenient storage underneath.

Interesting - thanks for the reply Tim!  Appreciate you bringing this product to our attention - it looks really cool!

• Like 1