Model Cars Magazine Forum

Radical '32 Ford sedan traditional hot rod

Kruzn

I haven't posted here for some time due to not working on models much lately. However, I did finally get one finished!

Started with Revell '32 Ford Sedan Street Rod 2 in 1 kit, but I think I may have gone a little bit beyond "Build 1 of 2 ways!" 🤣 Lots of mods and scratch building.

Body: Channeled over the frame, frenched rear tail lights, scratch built sun visor, scratch built folded fabric top, recessed firewall, chopped radiator shell, '39 Chevy head lights. Rustoleum 2X grey primer.

Interior: Front seats and door panels cut down, rear seat reshaped, custom shifter (bent straight pin), '59 Impala steering wheel. Testors metallic red lacquer.

Chassis: Stock kit frame and rear suspension, spare parts front dropped axle, quarter elliptic front leaf springs, scratch built steering linkage. Testors gloss red enamel. Artillery wheels and tires off a 1/18 diecast. Hubcaps are chromed steel plug buttons.

Engine: '51 Chevy 235 6-cylinder, dual carb intake, split exhaust, scratch built magneto, breather tube, exhaust head pipes, fuel line and radiator hoses.

Exhaust: Stock kit duals mated to custom head pipes and finished off with scratch built chrome steel tips.

From spare parts box: Wheels & tires, brake drums, head & tail lights, dropped I-beam front axle, front leaf springs, steering wheel, engine, air cleaner scoop, quick-change rear end center section.

Scratch Built: Fabric top, sun visor, magneto & wires, crankcase breather tube, fuel line, radiator hoses, exhaust head pipes, front suspension & steering linkage, shifter, body mounts, recessed firewall.

It was a challenging build, but fun! 😎

0423221226.jpg

0423221227.jpg

0423221227b.jpg

0423221228a.jpg

0423221228b.jpg

0423221229.jpg

0423221229a.jpg

0423221230.jpg

0423221230a.jpg

0423221222.jpg

0423221228.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, misterNNL said:

Looking cool for true. Do you remember what 18th diecast the wheels and tires came from?

Solido '36 Ford Pickup. The one on the right in attached photo. They were left-over from the pro street conversion on the left.

0129191003.jpg

On 6/10/2022 at 6:58 AM, TooOld said:

Awesome build , all of your mods really make this one unique '32 !  Love the top , is it cloth or tape (or both) ?

The top was made using twill fabric I found at Hobby Lobby. I sprayed the back side with matte clear and let it dry, then folded the fabric and secured the folds with super glue. Sprayed another couple coats of matte clear on the back side to seal it, then trimmed the edges to size. Turned out really well. I will do another one on a later project.

FYI...you can buy as little as 1/8 yard of fabric, which is still a lot for model use. I think I paid $1.50.

Edited by Kruzn